New Rotors and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Rotors and brakes

I plan on replacing my rotors and brakes what should i replace them with without braking the Bank thanks Dan

Old 10-21-2013, 02:29 PM
I have brake performance slotted and dimpled in the fronts and slotted in the rear. The stopping power increased (not a huge amount I'd say the brakes still suck on these trucks)

I have had them for years with no problems (I was warping the stock ones)

www.brakeperformance.com

They are very fairly priced and come with a lifetime warranty. I even got my girlfriend a pair for her Suzuki XL-7 because she kept warping rotors.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:09 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I have Centric rotors and ceramic pads on mine. Excellent brakes.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want fresh brakes for a reasonable price, simply turn the stock rotors (if they're turnable) and Wagner ThermoQuiet pads. Great price and great bang for the buck. Semi-metallic seem to be the most popular, but ironically the reasoning/demands that most people on here require in a brake pad would suggest the ceramic pads; but whatever.

If 10 people respond to this thread, you'll have ~15 different options which probably doesn't help with your decision. If money is your main concern, go with what I mentioned and you'll have greatly refreshed brakes.

One item that will substantially refresh the feel of your brakes and is probably the most overlooked item in the system is to completely flush the brake fluid with fresh new fluid. Not just a bleed and a top-off, but completely replace.

Any fancy, slotted, dimpled, cross-drilled, or combo rotor on our trucks is nothing more than a placebo. If you have the money and that's what you choose to spend your money on, then that's great (I do), but it's not going to be a huge transformation. Just be realistic with your purchase.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would agree with galaxy if money is issue do what he said about pads and rotors.

Have issue with slotted and drilled rotors. I maybe in the minority when it comes to the slotted and drilled thing. I have them on mine front and rear and I am happy. They work great from my point of view. From what I understand the dimples/drilled and slots on the rotors help disapate the gases are created. Which gives the pads better contact with the rotors. It's like the seat of your pants HP thing.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:15 AM
I'd like to see a test of our trucks with stock brakes and the non stock set up!!!!!!! Just pads and rotors.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pockets
I have brake performance slotted and dimpled in the fronts and slotted in the rear. The stopping power increased (not a huge amount I'd say the brakes still suck on these trucks)

I have had them for years with no problems (I was warping the stock ones)

www.brakeperformance.com

They are very fairly priced and come with a lifetime warranty. I even got my girlfriend a pair for her Suzuki XL-7 because she kept warping rotors.
What's this?? A USA manufacturer of brake rotors left?? Thanks for the tip!

Old 10-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Galaxy

Any fancy, slotted, dimpled, cross-drilled, or combo rotor on our trucks is nothing more than a placebo. If you have the money and that's what you choose to spend your money on, then that's great (I do), but it's not going to be a huge transformation. Just be realistic with your purchase.
I disagree .... All my warping problems went away when I got the slotted and/or slotted and dimpled.

I agree it probably does not stop it any better (I did not notice a huge improvement other than they sound funny when braking haha) but I am certain they have helped to dissipate heat from my braking.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by MotoMike
What's this?? A USA manufacturer of brake rotors left?? Thanks for the tip!
It says "Machined in the US"

Not sure if that is a play on words but they are an American company from CA I think they came from when I got them.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks Guys this is a decision based on money looking to spend or not. Or quality from basic rotors whatever direction your looking to go and stop when you get there. LOL DAN

Old 11-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Just FWIW, I couldn't disagree more with those arguing in favor of the OEM rotors. The OEM rotors on these trucks are notorious for warping causing severe braking vibration. Not worth the hassle.

For those spouting off about drilled / slotted rotors being a waste, I guess you don't do any real work with your truck, or you would KNOW the rotor warping problems these trucks are notorious for. The drilled / slotted rotors allow the brakes to remain cool enough to avoid the warping.
I am hard on brakes, especially considering I live where it is HOT, and tends to flood. I have hit high water, braking while carrying a bed full of stuff, still no warp to my Powerslot rotors... My OEM rotors were warped and replaced 2x under warranty... So for me, they have been worth every penny so far!

Old 11-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think the dispute is over the OEM rotors, but a plain good quality would serve you just as well. It's not the slots or the holes giving you your current performance.

Quick Reply: New Rotors and brakes