2012 Plat Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Plat Question

Need some advise/suggestions.

I replaced the stock wheels and tires on my 2012 F150 4X4 Plat with a set of XD Hoss 20x9 +18mm and 305/55/20 Nitto Trail Grapps and love them but I am experiencing rubbing at greater than 3/4 wheel lock.

I have also installed a 2.5" Daystar leveling kit which netted out 2" of front end lift.

From what I have read on this forum, other members are running the same or similar set up with no rubbing issues.

Suggestions/ideas or an alternative solution before I start cutting/trimming parts off to make them fit?

Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Where is it rubbing at? If you haven't already trimmed the lower valence, then that is probably where it is rubbing, and it is easy to trim.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. Where are they rubbing?

Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 PM
The lower valence is fine. I'm rubbing on the backside. It's hard to tell from these crappy cell phone pics but here it is sitting still under no load, not much wheel turn in pic #1 and it's touching flush against the wheel well trim and the rear of the wheel well in pic #2.

Of course when I'm driving the impact is much greater.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Thats odd, I wouldn't have thought that setup would rub, but it could be because of the aggressive pattern of the trail graps. My suggestion would be to go ahead and trim the fender liner and the fender flare where it is rubbing. As long as you take your time and trim it neatly, you won't be able to tell it was trimmed.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:26 PM
I think the cause of the issue is the wheel. Even with the +offset, I think they change your radius just enough to cause the rubbing. Not much you can do other than take your time and do some neat trimming as others have said.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the opinions guys.

I'll probably end up trimming but I'm also considering a 3" body lift. I wanted to originally go with a 6" suspension lift but my truck won't fit in the garage if I go that route.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before trimming, try this. See if you can run a plastic zip tie through the fenderwell liner and pull it back out of the way. I did this with my Ram for clearance. Then I took a hair dryer and heated the plastic to soften it and pulled it back some more. If you have a heat gun, you could easily heat the plastic wheelwell liner enough to reshape it.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
Before trimming, try this. See if you can run a plastic zip tie through the fenderwell liner and pull it back out of the way. I did this with my Ram for clearance. Then I took a hair dryer and heated the plastic to soften it and pulled it back some more. If you have a heat gun, you could easily heat the plastic wheelwell liner enough to reshape it.

Thanks for the idea. I took a hard look at it and don't think I'll get the result I need to accomplish.

A 3" BL is out of the question because it will block the intercooler on my Eco.

6" suspension lift is too high for my garage.

Looks like I'll just go the trimming route. It's a simple fix.

Quick Reply: 2012 Plat Question