1998 won't start (ABS, BRAKE dash blinking) after replacing rear brake pads!

Old 09-25-2012, 07:52 PM
bb1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 won't start (ABS, BRAKE dash blinking) after replacing rear brake pads!

I changed (one side) of my 1998 Navigators rear brake pads today before it got dark, now it WON'T START! All it does is make a loud clacking noise, doesn't turn over, lights all over the place acting wacky (even the dome light), and the ABS & brake dash lights are blinking.

All I did was jack up the drivers side, take off the wheel, remove the pads from the caliper, removed the rotor (had to hammer on it) and cleaned it up, checked and cleaned up the parking brakes....then put it all back together w/ the new pads.

If I leave the key on I get all kind of noises from the dash & under the hood!
What went wrong!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 PM
bb1
I have been messing with it in the dark, I disconnected the battery for 15min, didn't help.
In the on position the ABS & BRAKE lights blink once every 2 seconds (along with some other lights on all the time). When I go to start it, the red THEFT & the overdrive OFF light on the shifter start to blink.
Hooked up a scanner and got nothing.

I have never had any problems with this truck at all, until I changed those rear brake pads (drivers side only)??? There isn't a ABS sensor at the rear wheels on these are there....isn't it on the diff?

Old 09-26-2012, 02:29 PM
bb1
OK, my bad. It seems that while I was changing the rear brake pads my battery actually went bad! I just picked up the pads at the AutoZone and it was working fine, so it was hard to believe? It was getting dark out, lol.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:00 PM
ha... read the first two posts and thought "his battery is dead" and then saw your third post

did you have the radio on while you worked? Or was the door open and your dome light on?

Old 09-27-2012, 01:14 PM
bb1
Originally Posted by mkosu04
ha... read the first two posts and thought "his battery is dead" and then saw your third post

did you have the radio on while you worked? Or was the door open and your dome light on?
No it just happened. What through be off was the ABS & BRAKE lights blinking when I tried to start it, then I thought why would that keep it from cranking?

It's a fairly new battery, and I just used it to get the brake pads, ran fine.
But then when I charged the battery overnight (10amp) the battery didn't even get hot? Not even a little warm, ice cold....what does that mean?
Cranks like new now!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 won't start (ABS, BRAKE dash blinking) after replacing rear brake pads!