New Wheels & Tires! - Nitto Trail Grapplers - XD Monsters

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Wheels & Tires! - Nitto Trail Grapplers - XD Monsters

Hey Everyone! Exciting days here. Monday I purchased my "birthday present" and put new wheels and tires on the truck. I've been dying to do this since the day I bought it, but had to wait until it was somewhat necessary. Anyway, here's what I drive:

2010 SuperCrew FX4
1.5" AutoSpring Level
3.73 Gears
5.4L V8
5 Star Tune - 87 performance

This is what I purchased:

XD Monsters (Matte Black) - 20x9 with +18mm offset
Nitto Trail Grapplers - 295/60/20

This size has been talked about a bit and a few people have gone back and forth as far as what was necessary to pull them off. This was a tight fit. As I mentioned, I have the 1.5" AS Level which most have agreed provides the 2" of lift. There was some trimming to the lower plastic valence and to the rear of the front wheel well. I also had to remove the scoop to my S&B Intake. After that was done, I'm happy to report it looks and feels great. I've only done normal road driving, but haven't experienced any problems and don't really notice much loss of power. There have been countless reviews of this tire, so I'll spare you that, but I love them.

Here are the pics:

Where I started when truck was purchased.

First appearance mods with the level, harley heads and tails, FX4 decal, Line-x bed and step bars, Borla Exhaust, Billet Grille.

And here we are today (Finally had a chance to wash the truck only to have the 10% chance of rain ruin it).

Rub Spots. Front tire, lower bumper valence.

Front tire, rear of wheel well.

Suspension component clearance.

Clearance after the trim. Plan to clean it up a bit. Just wanted to make sure I had taken enough off before I wasted too much time making it perfect.

There's actually better clearance than this picture shows. Now that I look at it, not a great angle. Sorry.

Let me know what you think! Thanks everyone.

Last edited by russ10screw; 07-19-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: new pics
Old 07-12-2012, 12:46 AM
that looks awesome russ!!! I just got xd mon. in 18" +18 offset 2 weeks ago!! whered u pik up your grille at if you dont mind!?

Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by BRUTE448
that looks awesome russ!!! I just got xd mon. in 18" +18 offset 2 weeks ago!! whered u pik up your grille at if you dont mind!?
Thank you sir. I'm enjoying it. The grille I received as a gift but my brother got it on Ebay. I'll be honest it looks better now than it did. It looked great brand new but was getting dull. Then I rear-ended someone. Just enough to bend it a bit. The body shop reshaped it, refinished it, and cleared it. So I think it will hold up a bit better this time.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:35 AM
beautiful truck man

Old 07-12-2012, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by worldburrito45
beautiful truck man
Thanks!

Old 07-12-2012, 03:35 AM
Smile Man, I hope you don't take this too offensively

Love wheels, hate the tires. Nice aggressive look with Nittos, but don't care for the wear or the ride. I'm not trying to be an *** to you russ, but you did ask what some of us thought, and I'm just being honest is all. Your truck does however look good with those. Though, to be honest, I really don't have any right to trash talk the Nittos since I don't own a set, never have owned a set and never will own a set. My experience with them is only through friends who have them. It's kinda funny that you posted this today and I came across it, was talking to a guy who rolled up in my buddy's driveway today in his '06 screw and he had a set of 305 Grapplers on his ride. We were talking and admiring each others trucks as they sat side by side, and he said he wasn't about to get another set of Nittos because of the kind of wear he was getting from them, which is what I often hear from people I know that have 'em. I've ridden in a few trucks that were sporting Nittos and I just don't think they are as smooth or as quite a ride as my BFGs. The dude I was talking to today didn't seem to care too much for my tires either, I could tell by the way he reacted when I told him how many miles I average with a set of BFGs, which is okay as we were have a friendly an honest conversation.

As for the rest of the truck, you have a sweet lookin' ride there man, really like the clean look of that grill and I kinda wish my truck was an Fx4 just so I could put those decals on mine. I know there are a few people on the site that don't care for the 4x4 decals, but I'm proud to be sporting 4x4 (my first one) and don't mind letting everyone know it. I just ordered a new set of 4x4 decals for mine yesterday that I think are better suited for the look of my truck.

Well, sorry for the trash talk on your tires russ, that really is a nice looking truck you have.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Looks great. I just got XD Addicts with +18 offset and the same size tires you did and mine don't fit. I have a 2.25" level. I am wondering if they didn't send me the wrong offset because these seem to stick out a lot further than what your wheels/tires are.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by bollcosett
whered u pik up your grille at if you dont mind
Received it as a gift. Brother picked it up on Ebay. Was really impressed with the quality of it when I received it. Got a bit dull after time but had it refinished recently.

Originally Posted by mitch150
Love wheels, hate the tires. Nice aggressive look with Nittos, but don't care for the wear or the ride. I'm not trying to be an *** to you russ, but you did ask what some of us thought, and I'm just being honest is all. Your truck does however look good with those. Though, to be honest, I really don't have any right to trash talk the Nittos since I don't own a set, never have owned a set and never will own a set. My experience with them is only through friends who have them. It's kinda funny that you posted this today and I came across it, was talking to a guy who rolled up in my buddy's driveway today in his '06 screw and he had a set of 305 Grapplers on his ride. We were talking and admiring each others trucks as they sat side by side, and he said he wasn't about to get another set of Nittos because of the kind of wear he was getting from them, which is what I often hear from people I know that have 'em. I've ridden in a few trucks that were sporting Nittos and I just don't think they are as smooth or as quite a ride as my BFGs. The dude I was talking to today didn't seem to care too much for my tires either, I could tell by the way he reacted when I told him how many miles I average with a set of BFGs, which is okay as we were have a friendly an honest conversation.

As for the rest of the truck, you have a sweet lookin' ride there man, really like the clean look of that grill and I kinda wish my truck was an Fx4 just so I could put those decals on mine. I know there are a few people on the site that don't care for the 4x4 decals, but I'm proud to be sporting 4x4 (my first one) and don't mind letting everyone know it. I just ordered a new set of 4x4 decals for mine yesterday that I think are better suited for the look of my truck.

Well, sorry for the trash talk on your tires russ, that really is a nice looking truck you have.
Haha. Don't take it personally at all. Although it is funny that you're basing such a strong opinion without ever owning a set. Word of mouth is a powerful thing, but I have personally owned 3 sets of Nittos and couldn't speak higher of them. I've also owned BFG AT's so I can compare them. Here are my initial thoughts. Comparing apples to apples with the BFG AT's and the TERRA grapplers by Nitto (first set I owned), I honestly thought the Terra's compete quite well. Personally I thought they rode smoother (they were on a different truck than the BFG's) and balanced out much easier than the BFG's. As far as wear, I was at 53,000 miles on the Terras before finally getting rid of them and it wasn't because of tread wear, more just because they were getting old. And I agree that the BFG's are a great tire, but who in the world can afford them? Especially in 20's. I considered going more "practical" with the BFG's but once I priced them, I figured, why not get the tires I want for less?! Thats what led me to my first set of TRAIL grapplers. The look was great, the ride was great (obviously not as smooth as the Terra's but thats to be expected), they were quiet for a mud-terrain and they wore just fine. I sold that truck after about 15,000 miles on those tires I believe. I sold to a member here and stay in touch with him (I bought his truck from him) and he says the tires are still going strong (must be in the 30,000-35,000 mile range at this point). I liked them so much, I went with them again on this truck. Only a few miles at this point, but love the sizes available, love the look, and they ride great.

As for the decal, yeah, the original owner had removed it and maybe its vanity, but I wanted people to know it was an FX4. With the stock wheels and tires, it didn't look any bigger or different than a 2wd. And I've always liked the decals. Anyway, sorry for the long response, but just wanted to provide a different perspective. I think the value of the Nittos really can't be beat.

Originally Posted by JRVicHammer
Looks great. I just got XD Addicts with +18 offset and the same size tires you did and mine don't fit. I have a 2.25" level. I am wondering if they didn't send me the wrong offset because these seem to stick out a lot further than what your wheels/tires are.
Thanks! I posted on your thread. But it doesn't look like you have near the clearance. You sure whoever installed the shocks set it to the highest level? I asked for more pics in your thread. One of the side of the truck with the whole truck in it and one of how much the tires stick out.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Looks good. Seems like you did a nice trim job to make them fit also. Congrats.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by lokilightning
Looks good. Seems like you did a nice trim job to make them fit also. Congrats.
Thanks!

Old 07-12-2012, 07:15 PM
Looks good!! I want those tires soooo bad!!!lol

Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by STONED150
Looks good!! I want those tires soooo bad!!!lol
Thanks! It killed me to wait as long as I did. Really like them.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Trk looks great I just ordered wheels today and tires in a couple weeks gettin the trail grapplers also once again ur trk looks great

Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 PM

^ Thanks! It's exciting to make that upgrade. Just amazing how much difference it makes. If you haven't owned trail grapplers before and are a fan of mud-terrains, I think you'll really like them.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Truck looks great. Love the wheel and tire combo.

Quick Reply: New Wheels & Tires! - Nitto Trail Grapplers - XD Monsters