No brakes? Entire system brand new!

Old 08-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No brakes? Entire system brand new!

Truck is a 99 with rear drums. My problem is i cannot get the brakes to harden up. Replaced the entire system and still no brakes...Bled the heak out of it, no air in the lines, steady stream. I had to replace a line going from the master cylinder to the ABS unit, bled them again and no air came out, just fluid so im wondering where that air went or if i didnt bleed them enough. (gone through 3 quarts so far) The ABS light has been on for awhile tho. But breaks worked before i installed everything, just 1 caliper was seized up so i replaced both.

So far ive replaced the calipers, drum cylinders, master cylinder, brake booster, new hardware, rear brakelines aswell...so im outta ideas. Anything help would be appreciated!

Old 08-27-2011, 02:51 PM
Did you start the bleeding process at the farthest wheel from the brake fluid resevoir and work your way to the closest one last ?? i.e. passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front and drivers front, in that order. If you did, and you don,t have any fluid leaks then I would say you still have air in the lines. Let us know what you find once you get it solved.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:55 PM
I thought you go closest to the master cylinder? Thats the order i did it, but i can do it in reverse yet. I want to say its the abs unit. The book says it controls the brake line pressure, so it must have valves in it? Could they be stuck open? Here is the thing...They worked before i got new calipers, but not worth a damn. You hit the break, the petal goes half way down before it applies the brakes...Now i have nothing.

I started by putting on calipers, when i did that, i didnt have any breaks...Than i did the rear brakes. Backed the shoes out until they were light snug with the drum, bled the lines again, still nothing. Got the master cylinder last, pre bled it, and installed. Still nothing. No leaks that i can see either.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure about the 99, but in newer trucks with ABS, if air gets into the ABS unit, the dealer will have to bleed the brakes. They have special equipment to bleed through the ABS unit..at least that is the way I understand it anyway. Good Luck!

Old 08-28-2011, 02:03 AM
Ill check into that ASAP! I want to say thats gotta be the reason...But like i said it happened when i put new calipers on. Unless that was enough to get air into the abs unit. Thanks for the input!

Old 08-28-2011, 07:18 AM
i think there is no system compateability or some time we use different companies oil and equipments whcih direct affect on performance.

Old 08-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by footballtickets
i think there is no system compateability or some time we use different companies oil and equipments whcih direct affect on performance.
Uhhh...what? This isn't a place to sell football tickets either.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Sounds like your ABS pump needs bled. Not sure if there is a way to do it manually, the dealer uses a scan tool to do it.

Old 09-05-2011, 07:17 PM
i by passed it completely and still continue to have the same problem. All i got left is to replace a few more lines...No air in lines yet it seems as if there is a leak somewhere? The search continues lol...

Old 09-06-2011, 12:36 PM
I've HEARD to pump fast and it'll harden up, due to the ABS pump etc. Not sure why but it seems to work. My dad's 08 F-350 dually was a bitch to bleed, just the front but it eventually hardened up! Took probably 10min to do but it worked!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:19 PM
I had a similar problem with my 02. It started on my way home from work...went from very slight fade and then at the next light my foot went to the floor. At first they changed the master cylinder and a questionable brake hose but they couldn't get rid of the fade. (it should be noted at this point the mechanic said "I hope its not the abs unit") Half the time the pedal felt good, 45% of the time the pedal would fade and 5% of the time the pedal would just go to the floor. They bled the bejesus out of it and that didn't fix the problem either. So in an effort to save me the $616.85 the abs pump cost they replaced just about everything else...

Turned out to be the pump. The fluid was bleeding through it causing the fade. (or something, I'm not a mechanic... but I did stay at a holiday in express last night)

Good luck....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No brakes? Entire system brand new!