Is it just me not feeling black wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HighOn22's
Black wheels only look good on certain trucks. A black wheel on a black truck is to much black IMO. They look pretty good on a white, silver, red and even gray truck. Also when choosing black or chrome wheels you should follow one theme, in other words DON'T put black wheels on a truck with chrome bumpers. Black wheels should go on a truck with painted bumpers only.
Black on Black Can look awesome ! This forum is full of pictures of blacked out trucks that prove it.
Here in the north east, the negative effects of nasty roads, winter snows and road salt can wreak havoc on chrome wheels if they aren't anally maintained.
My nice Roush wheels went from looking great, to looking like ***** in just one winter. Part of that was from cheap low quality chroming but most of the damage was definitely caused by a lack of maintenance.
Personally I'm not interested in having to wash and clean the wheels on my truck every night when I get home from work, with winter temps in the single digits, just to keep my chrome clean and shiny.
So for me. I need to stick with a machined wheel year round or run 2 sets. I have never owned painted wheels so I don't know how well they would hold up to our New England winters without constantly cleaning the salt and crud off.
I like the looks of a black wheel and would put some on my truck in a heart beat. I wouldn't give a 2nd thought to the fact that bumpers are chrome.

Last edited by mlamprey; 04-01-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:50 AM
I'm 27 and I like black rims with chrome accents and chrome rims with black accents (obviously). I would have gone with black rims but my truck is white sand and I would have had to PTM the whole truck to pull it off I think. My Ballistic Jester's seemed to be a good compromise. Like it was said earlier, you own the truck not your son, get what you like, its your money! Here are a few pics of my setup, details are in my sig...good luck!

Old 04-01-2011, 12:13 PM
I am a fan of both but nothing looks as good as a clean polished set of chrome rims spinning. When you can get that mirror finish. In saying that I just purchased a set of black XD monsters. Thought I would give the black rim a try, there's always a first time for everything.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Let's just say that if you compare a solid painted truck with black wheels to a truck with chrome bumpers, black handles and black wheels the solid painted truck will look better hands down. I also agree that to much chrome can look real tacky. Personally I think my F-250 has to much chrome on the front end. I'm going to paint the grill to break that up.

What I don't like about a black truck and black wheels is that the wheels don't stick out. When I'm paying $1000-$2000 for wheels I want people to be able to see them.

Also I only use my personal truck on weekend and wash it every weekend therefore upkeep on chrome wheels is easy for me.

I understand that the weather up north can do a lot of damage to chrome wheels. In this case I would run black wheels also or keep my factories for winter or cheap aftermarkets. But, if I had to get black wheels they would be black/machined or black wheels on a solid painted truck except a black truck.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Highon22's I agree. My 08 Screw is DSG with the chrome package. If it was black I would have gone with chrome rims with out a doubt. I am still not sure I made the right choice. Will find out soon enough. I like the black rims on some truck but not on others. Truck color is one factor but so is accesories, trim and bumpers. I am going to leave the bumpers chrome and the step up bars chrome. Its not 1984 and I am not Knightrider. i think if you black out all the chrome it makes your truck look muted. Just my opinion

Old 04-01-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by SkiDood
My son tells me I have to go with black wheels on my new truck and they're clearly the rage around here. I've poured through tons of pictures and just don't warm up to the look. For some reason it looks "cheap" to me. Not classy. Is it because growing up chrome was cool? I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, there are a ton awesome trucks that look great with all black wheels but I find that it is mostly because of the stance on a lifted truck with huge wheels/tires.

I'm OK with the combo look like the black/polished look of an XD Addict. But the all black wheels on truck that is just leveled isn't working. This is for a black truck, I tend to like the look much better on a white truck but thats about it. So, is it just me?
I personally think the choice of wheels is heavily dependent upon the truck color and trim including how much chrome it already has. I have seen all black wheels look really tacky on certain trucks and same for all chrome wheels where there is already too much chrome on the truck.

Chrome can definitely look classy though especially on darker trucks. I think chrome wheels also look great on monotoned trucks with chrome bumpers, or all two-tone trucks with painted bumpers.

Black wheels with some chrome or machined facing can look really good on trucks with minimal chrome and/or two tones with black/grey accent colors.

Here are my examples that I thought worked okay.

My leveled King Ranch with chrome wheels:

My leveled XLT with machined accented black wheels to tie into both the chrome bumpers, grille and black trim:

My leveled F250 FX4 with chrome accented black wheels to tie into the two tone theme with billet grille:

My lifted F150 FX4 with machined accented black wheels to tie in the two tone theme and billet grille:

Last edited by Desert Dawg; 04-01-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by wisconsinFX4
I'm 27 and I like black rims with chrome accents and chrome rims with black accents (obviously). I would have gone with black rims but my truck is white sand and I would have had to PTM the whole truck to pull it off I think. My Ballistic Jester's seemed to be a good compromise. Like it was said earlier, you own the truck not your son, get what you like, its your money! Here are a few pics of my setup, details are in my sig...good luck!

Looks good!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I never really liked chrome wheels too much, but whatever you like is what matters.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:02 PM
My lifted F150 FX4 with machined accented black wheels to tie in the two tone theme and billet grille:
[/QUOTE]

likewise....

Old 04-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here is my truck leveled

Then lifted.

i love the look of black wheels as long as the truck color fits. Im not a huge fan of red trucks with black wheels or dark blue trucks. the black wheels really make your truck stand out since most vehicles have silver/chrome wheels stock.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Wheel coloring

I have to say first off I'm not a big proponent of black wheels overall. To me, it's like you're trying to hide them and if that's the case then why not get some steel ones and paint them black instead? Some chrome ones look nice while others are too gaudy for my taste plus there's the amount of maintenance involved with many of them.

When you get to be my age, you'd rather drive it than crawl under it or tinker with your vehicles all the time. I've got natural colored alloy rims on all 3 of my vehicles. During the winter, they go into the storage shed and steel rims and winter tires come out. That way they don't get all chewed by the sand and salt.

My 2 cents.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I'm right there with you SkiDood, I don't care for the black wheels myself. Although I have seen a few nice examples on this thread.

I posted a shot of my truck on another thread and someone suggested it would be better with black wheels, and then did a photoshop on it. They and few others liked it, but I and a few others didn't.

In the end it is your truck, you have to drive it and like it no matter what anyone else thinks or says.

Here is mine:
Name:  F150FL.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  130.0 KB

Now "PHOTOSHOPPED"!
Name:  saleen23s.jpg
Views: 1705
Size:  81.0 KB

You decide!

Last edited by Jetpilot2; 04-01-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:03 PM

Holy crap DesertDog are those all your current rides!? They all look good!

Old 04-01-2011, 05:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had black Boss 313 22" wheels with a polished lip, and the current 08 HD 22's. Definitely looks better with the 22" 08 HD's.

Name:  DSC00381.jpg
Views: 2334
Size:  217.3 KB

Name:  005-6.jpg
Views: 2247
Size:  74.1 KB

Old 04-01-2011, 05:08 PM
I agree Stealth!!!

Quick Reply: Is it just me not feeling black wheels?