Tire Pressure Sensor move ..

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Pressure Sensor move ..

Hello,
I got a FX2 2008 with factory 18" rims/wheels. I'm getting 20's now and was wondering if I should move the tire pressure sensor. I just called a shop and they charge ~$160, for balance, pressure sensor move and mount.

It's a lot of money ... so I don't know

Old 03-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The cost is at least partly the parts they need. The sensors are mounted with straps to the wheels. The straps are not reusable.
If you do not move the sensors, you will have to live with the TPMS light being on all the time.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:36 AM
do these sensors have to be reprogrammed because the different rims size orig. 18"/ new 20" ?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 AM
No. You would only have to reprogram if you changed to new sensors.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I have run into this issue with both my Mustang and my 07 screw. With the Mustang I went with an aftermarket TPMS made by a company called OroTek. These don't use the bands but are the new style that attach to the valve stem. Any reputable shop can program them for you when they install them. I will be doing the same thing on my screw since the previous owner just left them off and now the light goes on every time I start up. One thing to consider is that by leaving them off you run the risk of civil liability. While this probably won't happen, Murphy's Law says somebody will face it. If say a tire deflated and you had an accident, an insurance adjuster/inspector could find that there were no mandatory TPMS sensors. Knowing insurance companies you know they would place the blame on your lack of TPMS sensors and the headaches would begin. Just a thought...

Old 03-24-2011, 03:22 PM

Here are two companies that make the valve stem replacements:

http://www.tpmsoutlet.com/search.aspx?find=ford

http://www.ez-sensor.com/

I went with the OroTek ones for my Mustang but will be trying the Schrader Ez-Sensors for my screw.

Old 03-24-2011, 03:36 PM
any idea the cost of the Schrader Ez?
I am interested because i have had my bands replaced once as the sensors are actually moving around the rim and making me have to have tires balnced about 6 times this year alone..

Old 03-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Lariat-Rules
any idea the cost of the Schrader Ez?
I am interested because i have had my bands replaced once as the sensors are actually moving around the rim and making me have to have tires balnced about 6 times this year alone..
If that is with stock bands, then the dealer should replace the bands. If aftermarket, then you are on your own.

Replacing bands will be a heck of a lot cheaper than sensors. You can get sets of aftermarket bands for the price Ford charges for one.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:03 PM
I was refering to the aftermarket sensors that go in the air stems as the factory ones seem to be cause me a tire balance issue..

As far as the bands, it has been a slow process of changing them as i bought the truck used and didnt notice until i had the 2nd set of tires put on because of balance issues. thats when i noticed one of the sensors loose. What i have now are aftermarket bands and i know how cheap they are compared to factory.

Last edited by Lariat-Rules; 03-24-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:38 PM

The aftermarket sensors run about $35.00 a piece. You can get adjustable bands that are basically just a giant band clamp at $30.00 a pair (http://www.americanmuscle.com/universal-tpms-bands.html). I tried those first on my Mustang when I went to 20" Shelby Razors and two of the four broke fairly quickly. The stock TPMS sensors have double sided tape on them and they don't last. I think Ford thought that between the tape and the bands they would be fine but they swung on that one and missed by a mile. One shop I know epoxies the sensor back onto the rim and then adds the band afterwards. I look at it this way, I can spent $150 on new valve style sensors and never worry about it again or I can have the bands keep breaking and pay a shop repeatedly to fix them. In the end I think the money is probably similar. I'd rather fix it once and forget it. Another advantage of the valve style sensors is that you can swap them from rim to rim on multiple similar year Fords. So, if you decide to swap rims at some point again you simply install the valve style TPMS sensors in the new rims. For newer Fords they went with the valve style stock and so people who upgrade their rims on the newer trucks just swap the valve TPMS's.

Last edited by TheDesertRat; 03-24-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:55 AM
i like the idea, can you suggest the one you talking about for 35 each?

Old 03-25-2011, 02:35 PM

The OroTek ones I bought for my Mustang were $35.00 and I got them from the website I mentioned above. Go here and plug in your truck info: http://revolutionsupply.com/TPMS/AppGuide.aspx I am also researching the Schrader ones as well.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensor move ..