New brake pads grinding

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New brake pads grinding

I replaced my front brake pads with carquest semimetallic pads and they are grinding. I drove it around for 15-30 minutes hoping it was just the new pads and it would go away but it has not changed. The sound is coming from both sides and only happens when breaking below 10mph or so. Breaking at higher speeds, or my foot off the break there is zero noise. I correctly lubed everything with break grease and ensured everything is installed correctly. The rotors had no grooving and there was no shimmy when breaking with the old pads so I assumed they where not warped and did not need replacing. Is it normal for new pads to grind like this, or did I mess something up installing them, or do I need new rotors? Thanks!

Old 01-31-2011, 01:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an update...and a lesson learned. As sure as I was that I installed it correctly, of coarse I didn't. The grinding started getting a lot worse real fast so I inspected it further and found metal shavings and metal dust on the inside of the drivers side rim. I took the tires off after realizing something was seriously wrong and then came the "wow I am an idiot moment " I am embarrassed to admit that I actually put a pad on backwards. How I did this, I have no idea as I went over everything twice before putting the tire back on, I just must have been not paying attention. But the pads and rotor are trashed. Looks like I'll be replacing it all again, now with new rotors. Oh well, lesson learned, always check everything over and pay attention well doing the check over.

Quick Reply: New brake pads grinding