Brake Grinding Noise/Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Grinding Noise/Vibration

I have a 2001 F150 4x4. I recently replaced the rear rotors and pads. When I come to a hard stop I hear what sounds like a grinding noise that I'm not sure what to make of. It sounds/feels like the pads are completely worn and the backing/rivets are grinding on the rotor but all of the pads (front included) are in great shape. This only happens during a very hard brake application.

I noticed that the rotors are just a little loose on the hubs. Could this be the cause?

Any help would be appreciated.

Nick

Old 08-24-2010, 04:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Check to see that your lugs are torqued to spec, 150lbs per lug. And make sure everything else is re-tightened. You didn't replace with ceramic pads did you?

Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 PM
I will double check that everything is tight.

The pads are ceramic.

Thanks

Old 08-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ceramics may grind into the OEM rotors after a long time of use, and may cause warping. All 4 of my rotors are grinded from my Wagner Ceramics.. Going semi-metallic next time round with my new slotted rotors.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 AM
What brand of Slotted rotors are you going to put on? I have seen many manuf. on ebay but really do not want to got cheap.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by flane351c
What brand of Slotted rotors are you going to put on? I have seen many manuf. on ebay but really do not want to got cheap.
Napa/Monroe Ceramics: They are good but do not develop any more friction than good quality OEM linings

Performance Friction & Hawk: Good braking, increased friction but very dirty compared to OEM with the exception of VelveTouch- a line that Hawk just bought from Wellman Industries about 6 months ago. VelveTouch lining has been used for many decades and was the original lining used in all Shelby Mustangs in the 60’s (I personally have used the Velvetouch lining since 1960’s until brake lining production ceased in 1986), then switched to Carbo. Wellman has been the builder of braking linings for all of the Formula 1 race teams for more than 30 years.

EBC manufactures organic linings- what you want to look at is the friction coeffificent- it must be .49 or greater- that's where the abount of bite is measured.
With regards to rotors, I have previously run Brembo OEM replacement rotors that are cryogenically treated at Diversified Cryogenics, making them almost as hard as stainless steel- Applied Rotor Technology in California provides the same product. Unfortunately, Brembo, Powerslot, Raybestos, Bendix, Hawk etc. are all purchasing their rotors from the same foundary in China (with the exception of the $300 each composite high end units for Ferrari, Porsche, etc). Both companies purchase the highest grade rotors made, laser mic them for quality, scrap the ones that are out of spec and cryogenically treat the good ones which are now as strong as stainless. They will also slot and cross drill the rotors for you. Their service, price and quality is excellent as well.

For street use, slotted/drilled rotors are just “cheese-graters” for the brake pads IMHO, because unless you are involved in true racing conditions, the brake linings do not produce the gases which slotted/drilled rotors are designed to relive. In some cases, brake testing indicated reduce brake efficiency in street-based operations using slotted/drilled rotors when equal comparisons were made.

Quick Reply: Brake Grinding Noise/Vibration