Brake help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake help

'97 4WD
Whats up everyone, been away a few months. Havent driven my truck since very early spring. Other day I picked up a load of stone, on the way home, ran into a severe downpour, some road flooding. I went through a huge puddle and then at the stop sign discovered that the brake pedal was hitting my foot fairly hard. I believe I heated up the rotors a bit with the extra weight, then hit the cold water, so now I have to replace my rotors, which is fine, they have 80k on them and they are stock

Is there a write up somewhere like patmans 97-03 2WD Front Rotors & Pads [full write up] ?

I thought I remembered seeing one for 4wd before but I searched with no success.

How much difference between 2wd and 4wd?

Old 09-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
With a 4x4 you won't have to deal with the wheel bearings. Just pull the tire off, pull the caliper off and then the rotor should come off the wheel studs. You might find that the rotor is 'frozen' to the hub, but you should be able to persuade it with a mallet.

Might be a good idea to pick up a simple Chiltons Repair manual while you are at it, since it'll have your step by step instructions, as well as re assembly instructions... Good thing to have for the first time doing it, as there are some other things to deal with that I didn't really get into here.

You will want to only do one side at a time too... This way, you will have a complete side to refer to if needed....

Good luck,

Mitch

Old 09-15-2009, 12:38 PM
thanks Mitch.

I had been given a tip that if I lossen the lugs and apply the breaks in forward and reverse, I should be able to break the rotors free and avoid the nightmare threads about getting frozen rotors off?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:17 PM
My 97 would not come off. Trust me I used big hammers and they would not move. Dont use heat! If you run into trouble and have access to a cut off wheel make one cut in the crown of the rotor and you can tap off the rotor with a squeaky hammer. Takes two minutes and zero sweat.

you can tell when you get through as the sparks will come out behind the rotor and you are ready.

Quick Reply: Brake help