New Tires - Destination ATs

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tires - Destination ATs

Just thought I'd share...

I just got my truck back from the body shop after wrecking it a few weeks ago (it needs to go back for a bent axle). I changed out the old (POS) Pirelli Scorpion ATRs for Firestone Destination ATs. I wanted a tire that could handle snow better (heck, the Scorpions sucked even in rain). I'm fairly happy with the new tires. I would have liked a little more aggressive tread but did not want MTs and had to buy Firestone as I got 35% off.

Last edited by tcope; 02-20-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:26 PM
I would have gone with the M/Ts..... especially with the discount. But you are not the first person I have heard of that did not like the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Nice! Do you have any better pictures?

I had the Destination AT's 275/70-17 LT's, and they worked great in the snow, rain, and light offroading. They handle well and are extremely quiet. They also wear very well. Count on getting a lot of miles out of them.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by dhugo2
I would have gone with the M/Ts..... especially with the discount. But you are not the first person I have heard of that did not like the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs.
I liked the tread of the MTs but did not get them for two reasons... 99% of my driving is on-road and I did not want a loud tire. Also, I had heard that while MTs are great in snow and off road, they don't do as well in rain. Granted, I was very much considering going with the MTs. But I figured as long as the ATs would be good in snow, I'd be more happy with them. From what I've read and heard, the ATs are good in snow.

After reading the reviews of the Scorpion's on tirerack, I now no longer trust those reviews and ratings. I think people just click on 8s and 9s thinking this is a low score or they are just clueless. Because there is _no way_ the Scorpions should have a high rating for snow and ice.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only got 30k miles out of my Firestone Destination AT's. These are very soft tires.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
Nice! Do you have any better pictures?

I had the Destination AT's 275/70-17 LT's, and they worked great in the snow, rain, and light offroading. They handle well and are extremely quiet. They also wear very well. Count on getting a lot of miles out of them.
I do have a few photos but have not taken too many as I need to detail the truck (yes, I read the Detailing section way too much and now have Detailing OCD). I could not get a very good photo as the truck is stuck in the garage. Here is the best one I could take.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Turd Furguson
I only got 30k miles out of my Firestone Destination AT's. These are very soft tires.
I sold mine with 42k km's (26k miles) and all four tires had 80% tread left measuring an even 12/32'nds across all major tread grooves. I didn't find the rubber to be soft at all.
Maybe you had the P-Metric version of the Destination AT's. Mine were LT's with load range C.

tcope; I always thought the Destination AT's had a relatively aggressive looking tread. Those look good on your truck. Those tires will handle road snow, ice, and wet much better than any MT tire will.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:25 AM
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
tcope; I always thought the Destination AT's had a relatively aggressive looking tread. Those look good on your truck. Those tires will handle road snow, ice, and wet much better than any MT tire will.
Thanks, I appreciate you saying that. I do like the looks of the MTs and would like to have them in deep snow but my brother in Mich. who uses the MTs on company snow plows says that their traction is great expect it's terrible in rain. While I was looking for a tire that would do very well in snow, almost all of my driving is going to be on city roads with some dirt trails. 275/55/20's are a wide tire... so I'm not too concerned about traction in sand/dirt. I was going to buy a set of Wrangler Silent Armor ATs but then the 35% off Firestone tire coupon came around. I could not pass up that kind of discount.

Well the truck goes back the shop on Monday for replacement of the drivers rear axle and parts so my testing of the new tires will need to wait.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm just curious why you chose the Destination AT's over the Revo's? I've read good things about both of them, but I like the look of the Revo's better. I would have gone that route if I would have gotten AT's. I'm not saying anything about you choice so don't take it the wrong way. I was just wondering if you considered the Revo's in your choice.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Here, I was in the same dilemma, wanted AT's for the quietness and snow/ice performance over MT but have never been impressed with performance in mud, but like the agressive look and mud performance of an MT...these are supposedly hybrid's of AT/MT, just installed a set of the Mastercraft's last week-the Goodyear's were bout $65 more per tire- and love'em!

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodyea...ht%20Truck

http://www.mastercrafttire.com/html/...uck_courser_CT

and Cooper sister tire of the Courser CT the Discoverer ST, identical tire but a bit more $$ for the Cooper name, Cooper makes the Mastercraft

http://www.coopertire.com/Flash/index.aspx

Suppose to have similar MT performance in mud but superior performance on pavement, ice/snow over your average MT.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by DIHLON
I'm just curious why you chose the Destination AT's over the Revo's? I've read good things about both of them, but I like the look of the Revo's better. I would have gone that route if I would have gotten AT's. I'm not saying anything about you choice so don't take it the wrong way. I was just wondering if you considered the Revo's in your choice.
I was considering the Revo's but they were $250 vs $150 for the Destinations. While the tread design was _slightly_ different, the main difference was the dual rubber on the Revo's (softer 1/2 way down the tread so that they stuck more once the tread wore down). I spoke to a person at Firestone who had the Revo's on his truck. He said that he understood that the Revo's made the truck handle a little better but that I'd most likely be just as happy with the Destinations. So my impression was that the Revo's probably did add a little bit of better handling but that the main reason they cost $100 more was because of the dual rubber compound used. I just figured I'd not be getting a whole lot for the extra $400 for the set.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:59 PM
Over a year

I have had Destination AT's. They have performed very well---Like you, most of my driving is on a road, but since I heat my home with a woodbruner, on occasion I go off word---golf courses, farms, and the like. The Destination AT's have done very well on that end, too. Got them for a great price, and they have held up quite well.

Tim C.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:06 PM
DO they flat spot like the Pirellis' thats my only concern about buying new 20" tires

Old 02-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by welfare wagon
DO they flat spot like the Pirellis' thats my only concern about buying new 20" tires

I think all tires flat spot to a certain degree, although I really haven't noticed any with the BFG AT's I have now. The Destinations would flat spot, but to a marginal degree. When they did ( when damn cold out), they worked themselves out within a very short period of time. I've driven on many other tires that flat spot much worse than the Destinations did.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:27 PM
I too purchased a set of these back when they had the 35% off sale. I picked them over the Revos based on price which was about $250 more total for the Revos then the Destinations in a LT 285/70-17 size. We've had some colder then normal weather for our area (lows in the teens at times) and I have not noticed any major flat spotting. I've got about 500 miles on them so far and love the look and ride vs. the Michelin X radial LT in p metric rating that were on it when I purchased the Expedition.

Quick Reply: New Tires - Destination ATs