Towing with big rims and 24" tires

Old 04-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing with big rims and 24" tires

I pull a 6x12 enclosed trailer with three dirt bikes at the most. is this safe with rims such as 24's? I know its the tire rating for hauling but is this even realistic to pull a small trailer with 305/35/24?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:45 AM
I guess it would depend on the load range of the tire. Keep in mind the wheels are probably pretty heavy, so you'll have to take that into account while braking.

I highly doubt that towing 3000#s is going to be an issue though. Just don't forget that you have a lot more to stop with big rims.

Make sure to get a tire rated for something heavy, (D, E, etc..) An SUV tire should work just fine.

Not sure the load range, but something like this would do the trick - Tires

Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Suspended
You should be fine, but there is alot of rotational mass there. I'd suggest upgrading brakes with some slotted rotors for some extra bite.

http://www.modbargains.com/product.a...Tech_Stage2_MW

Old 04-10-2008, 08:07 PM
it is not only about the load range of the tire. rims have max load ratings as well. you will have to find out the max load for what ever rim you are buying. some rims have a pretty low load. I have seen some rated as low as 2200 per rim for our trucks. and I have seen some rims that are probably rated lower.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:12 PM
alon - yea after seeing your post about that stage 2 kit i may do that first. lil responsibility never hurt

love your site! keep the goods comin!

jasonkola - this is somehting i will def look into before layin down cash

Old 04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
yah. and althout a few do, most manufacturers do not post this info on there site. I had to email to get that info. and the wheels when you get them should have this the load rating stamped on the back. mine did.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by jasonkola
yah. and althout a few do, most manufacturers do not post this info on there site. I had to email to get that info. and the wheels when you get them should have this the load rating stamped on the back. mine did.
While load rating should DEFINITELY be looked into, it shouldn't have too much of an effect on the towing of a trailer like this. There should be a max of 500 lbs tongue weight... and thats pushing it. If he was talking about payload, that is a different story, but towing a trailer shouldn't put that much extra weight on there.

Just to clarify, the load rating is very important, i'm not saying it isnt...but shouldn't have too much of an effect on the towing in this situation.

Whenever you're ready to buy brakes let me know if you have any questions....I just got mine shipped to me today and cant wait to go install them... I get to tow my 16 foot dual axle flatbed with buggy/firewood/camping gear on it with my ranger. I'm really excited to see a difference in stopping power.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:45 PM
I agree most of the weight would be on the trailer axles. only 500 or so on the hitch would not be a big deal. I just wanted to let him know the tires are not the only thing with load rating.

Old 04-10-2008, 09:22 PM
thanks for all the great info guys!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing with big rims and 24" tires