Brake Questions

Old 05-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Brake Questions

OK, I am going to replace my stock tires with some larger tires, but keep the same wheels. I have the stock P255/65R17 Continental Contitracs on now. I want to go to a P285/70R17 and still use the factory wheel. I understand that when I increase the size of the tire, I may need to increase the size of my brakes. Also, I want to go to either a ceramic or semi-metallic pad in order to eliminate the brake dust. I understand that ceramics don't have the stopping power of metallic brakes. Finally, I need to be able to safely tow 6500 pounds.

My questions are:

1) What brake pads will eliminate the dust and still stop my vehicle safely when towing?

2) Do I need larger brakes/rotors?

3) Please recommend specific manufacturer/part numbers and let me know where to order them from.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by dot dot
OK, I am going to replace my stock tires with some larger tires, but keep the same wheels. I have the stock P255/65R17 Continental Contitracs on now. I want to go to a P285/70R17 and still use the factory wheel. I understand that when I increase the size of the tire, I may need to increase the size of my brakes. Also, I want to go to either a ceramic or semi-metallic pad in order to eliminate the brake dust. I understand that ceramics don't have the stopping power of metallic brakes. Finally, I need to be able to safely tow 6500 pounds.

My questions are:

1) What brake pads will eliminate the dust and still stop my vehicle safely when towing?

2) Do I need larger brakes/rotors?

3) Please recommend specific manufacturer/part numbers and let me know where to order them from.

Thanks in advance!
1.) I've heard carquest is fairly inexpensive and works fairly well at reducing dust.

2.) I have 285/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on the OEM wheel and all OEM Brake related components and have plenty of stopping power (and dust).

You don't need bigger brakes for that tire and wheel combo

Old 05-08-2007, 11:06 PM
I recently lifted my 02 supercab 4.6 by 3.5 inches w/a fabtech spindle lift..and put 33 x 12.5 x 16.5 (33's) on it..(i really screwed up buying the 16.5's)..and its been a few weeks and my abs light turned on for a while and then turned off..do i need bigger brakes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Questions