Brake Pad Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Pad Recommendations?

I am in the process of upgrading the brakes on my 06' SCrew. Getting the Baer Eradispeed +1 upgrade all around. What recommendations do you have for brake pads?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 02-10-2007, 06:14 PM
I say Carquest "blue" semi-metallic pads. I don't know if it really makes a difference in rotors, just I've found sucess with the "blues".

Old 02-25-2007, 02:40 AM
Price

JWP32750:
Do you happen to know the price for the Carquest "blue" semi-metallic pads? I am in the military and deployed and I am trying to get my brother(back in TX) to replace my pads with these. I have a 05 F150 4X2 and 22' rims, I am planning or replacing the rotos as well with the BAER Eradispeed rotors. Thanks...

Old 03-05-2007, 10:07 PM
go ceramic

If your going big, or even just better, get ceramic pads. Mienekie has the best ceramic pads available, and a lifetime replacement. They grip hard, don't break easy, and there is no dust so your rims never look like crap!

Old 03-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by desq27
If your going big, or even just better, get ceramic pads. Mienekie has the best ceramic pads available, and a lifetime replacement. They grip hard, don't break easy, and there is no dust so your rims never look like crap!

Sure, And replace your rotors every 10,000 miles... but those pads are still good!

Carquest Blues (semi-metallic) cost about $60 or so, per axle, and I will concur that they are the best.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:59 AM
i really like the checker's raybesto's they never squeal!

Old 03-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm gonna try EBC next time....the green ones. Anyone ever use them?
I guess I'm just trying them because I have (successfully) used them on my Dirt Bikes (05 CRF450R) for years.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:30 PM
Where to obtain aftermarket V-Springs and Caliper Slippers

I plan to replace my brake pads on my '04 F150 FX4 this weekend with CarQuest Blue pads as suggested by many on this board. However, when you buy after-market pads, they do not come with the V-springs and caliper slippers that also need to be replaced. Only pads obtained from the dealership come with these and the pads from the dealer are a complete rip-off!

Does anyone know where I can buy aftermarket v-springs and caliper slippers?

many thanks, matt

Old 03-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Ice King
I plan to replace my brake pads on my '04 F150 FX4 this weekend with CarQuest Blue pads as suggested by many on this board. However, when you buy after-market pads, they do not come with the V-springs and caliper slippers that also need to be replaced. Only pads obtained from the dealership come with these and the pads from the dealer are a complete rip-off!

Does anyone know where I can buy aftermarket v-springs and caliper slippers?

many thanks, matt

My carquest blues came with them. Perhaps you got a set that was returned? I would go back to the store and tell them, and see if they'll give you some out of another box.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by akheloce
My carquest blues came with them. Perhaps you got a set that was returned? I would go back to the store and tell them, and see if they'll give you some out of another box.
I have no idea what v springs and caliper slippers are. Every brake job I've done, I just take the pads out and put them on

Old 03-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
I have no idea what v springs and caliper slippers are. Every brake job I've done, I just take the pads out and put them on
They are the anti-rattle clips that come with every set of brakes I've ever installed... the carquest ones even had a piece of paper that said "DONT THROW AWAY"

Old 03-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by akheloce
They are the anti-rattle clips that come with every set of brakes I've ever installed... the carquest ones even had a piece of paper that said "DONT THROW AWAY"
I guess they are made on to the pads I have installed. Don't remember any loose pieces. Also, the Wagner Thermo Quiets I put on my truck had a soft pad on the back of the brake pad.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Are you guys talking about those pieces that go on the top of the pad that would press the pad down I guess? Or the pieces that are formed that fit into the caliper bracket? In any case, clean the surface underneath, antisieze and install. Plus, fold the tabs (the smallest ones on the pieces that the pads slide into on the caliper bracket) trust me!!!!!!!!! I just figure if they give ya new stuff, might as well use it. The pads can only do so much, prep is the biggest key for sucess here. How many times I don't remember to antisieze a spot and sure enough it makes noise. After I redo it, not a whisper.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jwp32750
I am in the process of upgrading the brakes on my 06' SCrew. Getting the Baer Eradispeed +1 upgrade all around. What recommendations do you have for brake pads?

Thanks,
Jim
It's probably too late, but DO NOT BUY THE BAER ERADISPEED KIT!!! I am on my third set. The first set had a real bad plating problem, the second was over .040" out of round which caused a steering wheel shake problem that took me months and hundreds of dollars to trouble shoot. The third set still causes a steering wheel nibble, but Bear engineers consider .015" out of round acceptable. I know from experience that this will cause a vibration in the steering wheel on any F150 pickup. I hope I am not to late, don't buy them.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:02 PM
I have the EBC Green stuff pads and they are awesome. Hardly any dust at all. I re-used the V springs and caliper sliders. Just be careful when you remove your old pads. Pull the V springs off carefully and don't damage the sliders. I pulled the sliders off gently with a flat head screwdriver, cleaned the dust off, reinstalled and put on some copper grease. The EBC Green stuff pads come with a break in coating. No squeals with my pads at all since I put them on. About 1,000 miles now and no problems.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Recommendations?