F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes (https://www.f150online.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes-29/)
-   -   painting brake calipers (https://www.f150online.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes/268295-painting-brake-calipers.html)

F150_B.F.D.M. 01-11-2007 09:37 PM

painting brake calipers

hey guys.. i was just wondering.. if any one has there calipers painted.. or how hard it is to do.. or what you thihnk about it.. i dont want it to look ricey.. but i think the red on the caliper comin through te black wheels.. and matchign the soon to come fx4 stickers.. would look good..

let me know what u think.. or how hard it is to paint them

jmt0645 01-11-2007 09:59 PM

I'd like to know the same?

Lumadar 01-11-2007 10:15 PM

IMO, red calipers look tacky on just about any color vehicle aside from red.

I have painted my calipers, but I just stuck with BLACK for a cleaner look. I painted my calipers AND the open/rusted/non-braking surfaces of the rotors with black calipers paint and it looked 100% cleaner and really showcased my 22s.

I have pics in my gallery... :beers:

cvc14 01-12-2007 11:25 AM

Looks great.. much cleaner look painting everything black like that.

Where did you pick the paint up at? AutoZone r some place like that?

Lumadar 01-12-2007 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by cvc14
Looks great.. much cleaner look painting everything black like that.

Where did you pick the paint up at? AutoZone r some place like that?

My buddy got it and I paid him back, but it was either autozone or pep boys. It was a duplicolor brand.

It actually comes as a kit for $15 with a brake cleaner spray can, a can of paint, and a paint brush worth about 5 cents.

All in all, I am very happy with the results. It's been several months with NO chipping what-so-ever and I wash my truck with a 2400 psi pressure washer.

baddog_44_5 01-12-2007 02:02 PM

Brake Painting Kit from Duplicolor

Lumadar 01-12-2007 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by baddog_44_5

bingo! :thumbsup:

baddog_44_5 01-12-2007 02:28 PM

As soon as my brake pads get here i'm going to do a full brake job, and i hadn't even thought about doing this while i'm there. Great info, guys. :rocker:
Just goes to show, even when you know what you're doing it doesn't hurt to look around here for ideas.

F150BQ 01-13-2007 12:12 AM

Caliper Paint Kit

If you guys want to paint your calipers, this stuff ROCKS. A buddy of mine painted the calipers on his new Mustang with it and it was slick...he actually brushed them while they were on the car and it turned out awesome.

G2 Caliper Paint Kits

ONE04FX4 01-13-2007 08:52 AM

i did mine in red. but i do have a red truck. i need to get some custom wheels to show them one day. you can barely see them but it does look good. i used the above mentioned kit.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...i/101_0668.jpg

AirborneRacer 01-13-2007 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by F150BQ
If you guys want to paint your calipers, this stuff ROCKS. A buddy of mine painted the calipers on his new Mustang with it and it was slick...he actually brushed them while they were on the car and it turned out awesome.

G2 Caliper Paint Kits

X2 I used black G2 on my Lightning and FX4. Its thick, you can paint it on by brush in those hard to reach places, the can goes a long way, and once dried has a nice gloss texture but different feel then spray paint, variety of colors to choose. I will use it again and plus its high temp so no worries as far as peeling. :thumbsup:

mgsalida 01-13-2007 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lumadar
IMO, red calipers look tacky on just about any color vehicle aside from red.

I have painted my calipers, but I just stuck with BLACK for a cleaner look. I painted my calipers AND the open/rusted/non-braking surfaces of the rotors with black calipers paint and it looked 100% cleaner and really showcased my 22s.

I have pics in my gallery... :beers:

I just checked out your gallery. Nice job on painting the calipers! :thumbsup:
It does showcase your wheels!

Mike

F150_B.F.D.M. 01-13-2007 09:33 PM

im suprised how popular this thread is.. i thought i would have a hard time getin some hits or even answers..

but i have two questions:
1) how long does it take to try with the g2 caliper paint.. and how long did it take to paint them all?

2) and if i painted mine, should i do it like a nice blue, (i have blue LED's in my cab shinning on the CB radio) or should i do red, to go good wiht the black and aslo accent the FX4 decals im going to put on..?

any suggestions appreciated and thanks for all the helps guys

-B.F.D.M.

F150BQ 01-14-2007 11:36 AM

Color

I'll ask my buddy with the Mustang how long it took him...knowing him, I'd say he really took his time and made it perfect. I think he also laid a Mustang logo in there or something. I'll see if I can find a pic.

As for the color, my opinion would be red to hang with the FX4 decals. You've got those Moto Metal wheels in black, but don't they have a blue logo on the center cap? Blue might look alright, but I suspect that it would look weird.

I'm probably going to do black or silver on mine when I put wheels on.

98Navi 01-14-2007 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ONE04FX4
i did mine in red. but i do have a red truck. i need to get some custom wheels to show them one day. you can barely see them but it does look good. i used the above mentioned kit.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...i/101_0668.jpg

Had those not been 6 lug, I'd have sworn it was mine. Same EBC greenstuff pads I have. I painted mine about 1.5 years ago, and over time the stuff I used (from pepboys) has started to flake off. I also used it to paint my intake elbow and its never chipped or flaked. I may re-up it one day, but its not on the top of my list of to do's.