Painting wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting wheels

This may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if I were to buy polished wheels, could regular car paint and clearcoat be used to paint the wheels black or maybe even DSG to match my truck? Would this look terrible? How well would it hold up? I imagine powdercoating would be a better way to do it but I was just curious b/c I have a good friend that paints cars. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I painted the spokes on my XLT wheels, they are holding up great so far. Check my gallery.

Old 01-25-2006, 06:51 PM
I don't see why not if the polish is removed and the surface prepared properly. Perhaps that would be a good question for your friend with the paint expertise. I think everything is possible. Heck it could give you a custom look. The FX4 wheels are painted so I imagine it should be no problem at all. Please post some pics to check them out. Thanks

Old 01-26-2006, 09:56 PM
Hey Bluejay, How much did it cost you to paint your spokes? I like the way it looks and I may get it done if it doesnt cost a lot.

Old 01-29-2006, 09:37 PM
i had an old set of rims sand blasted and i primed them and rattle canned them with a gloss black
so far they have held up for 4 months on the salty roads in michigan they dont look bad and match the truck pretty good

Old 01-29-2006, 10:43 PM
painted dubs

I had 18" XLT rims painted shadow gray in-between the spokes & the center cap & I think that they look pretty badass! It cost me $100 even. I've had them for about 6mos. & they still look as good as new. I like the way they still look FoMoCo but, have some style/sport to them. Good luck!

B - Dub

Quick Reply: Painting wheels