Polished wheels look like S#!% now...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Polished wheels look like S#!% now...

Got some polished Eagle 187's in the fall so I Flitz'd em with a Flitz ball, then by hand twice. Now that the road salt has gotten to them for the last month, they looks like crap. Went to the car wash today just to use the brush on them, then rinse and it didn't phase them. Came home and spray'd them with Eagle-1 and agitated with a rag and sponge and that helped, but they still look a little spotted and dull. Will another Flitz treatment clean em up or no? I expected them to turn dull like other polished wheels I've seen, but mine aren't a uniform dullness, but have a spotted appearence. Some of the dull spots are a little rough and dark from the oxidization. I'm thinking I'm going to have to power coat them.

Old 01-07-2006, 07:12 PM
I once worked at a tire and wheel store. i am not familar with Flitz, but I will say that polished wheels can be a real pain in the ace unless they have a clear coat. IMHO powercoated wheels are the way to go. I'm thinking of getting my stock 17" color accent wheels powdercoated black, if I can find somewhere around here that is reasonable.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Use a polish called "Mothers" you can find it in about all parts stores and retailers. I have polished centerlines on a mustang. I can let them go all winter in Maryland and Mothers will make them look like chrome. The high shine will last about 2 months and slowly fade. I usually polish them 3 times a year, Spring, Summer and Fall... Works great!!!

Old 01-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Salt will do that to wheels, got to take off the polished or chrome wheels off in the winter if you get snow. Cleaning them again may help, make sure you use the right polish for them there is special polish for different wheels.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Easwood Company makes a lot of aluminum polishing compounds. You might try some of those with your Flitz ball. Flitz, Mothers, Blue Majic, etc are not really made to restore rims in as bad of shape as you describe.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Well...they're not THAT bad, but I'm picky since they're still "new". Think I'm going to go ahead with the powder coat. Thinking a dark metallic gun metal.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by masonm75
Use a polish called "Mothers" you can find it in about all parts stores and retailers. I have polished centerlines on a mustang. I can let them go all winter in Maryland and Mothers will make them look like chrome. The high shine will last about 2 months and slowly fade. I usually polish them 3 times a year, Spring, Summer and Fall... Works great!!!

Are they clear coated? My American Racing Mojaves are not and they look like crap. They are pitted, dull and black. They will only clean up with steel wool and a wire brush and the looks will last less than a week.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by Jackal
Well...they're not THAT bad, but I'm picky since they're still "new". Think I'm going to go ahead with the powder coat. Thinking a dark metallic gun metal.
Have you priced powder coating yet?

Old 01-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by 6T6CPE
Are they clear coated? My American Racing Mojaves are not and they look like crap. They are pitted, dull and black. They will only clean up with steel wool and a wire brush and the looks will last less than a week.
No my rims are not clear coated. When I first bought my mustang the wheels were very dull with some minor corrosion. I was told to use Mothers. The first time it took about 30-40 minutes a wheel. I use a small stiff brush, polishing rags, and a dremel polishing wheel. It takes a lot of endurance, but I know for fact the outcome is good… After the first really good polishing it now only takes about 15 minutes per wheel…

Quick Reply: Polished wheels look like S#!% now...