Light Truck Tires or Passenger Car Tires??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Light Truck Tires or Passenger Car Tires??

I am just wondering if I should go with a light truck or passenger car tire? I want to know the difference and whether or not one is more reliable than the other. I have light truck tires on my truck now and when I go to replace them, I want to buy the best tires for my truck. Your input would be appreciated.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tires

Denote the names of the tires. The passenger car tires are made for just that passenger cars. Thats why they wear so quickly on the trucks. I went with LT tires on my truck after the passenger tires wore out. I have never had a set of passenger tires that wore good on a truck. They seem to be just bargain basement. The LT tires should be standard on a truck.

Old 10-07-2005, 11:56 PM
As far as P/LT designation, the "load range" is usually less for a P tire than a comparably sized LT tire.

Old 10-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Suspended
your not saving with passenger car tires on trucks.. Ford ignores our safety and utility of your F-150 with standard issue p235 70 17 hancook tires on the 04 -06 F-150

Old 10-08-2005, 12:47 AM
Michelin LTX M/S 265 70 R16 all the way!!

DO NOT put passenger car tires on a truck. They are usually way too skinny and not made for a 5,000 lb truck.

Get some Michelin LTX M/S tires - 265 70 R16 if you can fit them on your rims.

If not, go with AT LEAST whatever is printed on your door, and definitely not anything bigger than you can safely fit on your rims.

I'm about to go with the LTX M/S tires - the ride is amazing. We test drove an 05 Explorer that had General tires and the ride was rough (almost to the point where we didn't know if we wanted to buy it). We ordered the one we have now and it came with the LTX tires - difference between night and day. They're not the cheapest tire if you buy them from the dealership, but if you wait a while you can find some good deals on these tires through Ebay.

Old 10-08-2005, 08:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thereisnospoon
DO NOT put passenger car tires on a truck. They are usually way too skinny and not made for a 5,000 lb truck.

Get some Michelin LTX M/S tires - 265 70 R16 if you can fit them on your rims.

If not, go with AT LEAST whatever is printed on your door, and definitely not anything bigger than you can safely fit on your rims.

I'm about to go with the LTX M/S tires - the ride is amazing. We test drove an 05 Explorer that had General tires and the ride was rough (almost to the point where we didn't know if we wanted to buy it). We ordered the one we have now and it came with the LTX tires - difference between night and day. They're not the cheapest tire if you buy them from the dealership, but if you wait a while you can find some good deals on these tires through Ebay.
I hate to tell you this, but the tires you mentioned are P series tires.

I have always bought LT tires and had no problems. Have always shied away from P series. Unfortunately, many of the tire manufacturers are only making the sizes for our trucks in P rated tires. An example is Michelin. Most of the tires in the 16 and 17" category are P series tires. BF Goodrich (owned by Michelin) has abetter selection of LT tires depending upon what you want. Especially in the BFG AT tire.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:14 PM
You drive a truck so get LT truck, tires. The manufacturers save a few bucks per vehicle by putting on the cheaper tires but multiply that by the millions and it adds up. The LT tires have a deeper tread, longer wear, and more load capacity.

Old 10-08-2005, 07:06 PM
Cool

Thank you all for your input and I am just glad that I have LT's on there right now.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:55 AM
There is nothing wrong with putting P rated tires on an F150. You have to look at the load ratings of the tire you are interested in and if a P rated tire more than covers it and has the tread type you need, you are just fine.
I have owned my 05 F150 since new and used nothing but P tires that meet the weight criteria....they ride better and last just as long.
I know this is and old thread but there is no sense going overboard on tires if you don't have to......as freaking expensive as they have become.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Old post, haha, well...we all make that mistake once in awhile. Welcome to the forum though!

Last edited by FallenF96; 06-19-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Spell check..derp
Old 06-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by FallenF96
Old post, haha, well...we all make that mistake once in awhile. Welcome to the forum though!

Thanks for the welcome! Every now and then I'll do a search and not bother to check the dates.

Quick Reply: Light Truck Tires or Passenger Car Tires??