Brake Trouble......maybe ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Trouble......maybe ABS?

I have a 97 F150 4.6 V-8 2WD XLT that has 120K on it and 4 wheel antilock brakes. I replaced the pads and rotors about 2000 miles ago and things have been great until about 10 days ago on the way home my left front caliper was hanging up causing the rotor to get hot and blue colored. I figured it was the caliper so I replaced both with new OEM Ford Calipers and pads. Intstalled and bled them then the right front was hanging up. I have now just replaced the flexible lines and no difference. While test driving it a few minutes ago I hammered the brakes and no antilock action at all. I pulled the connector and cleaned it.....no help. How do you know if the antilock computer or junction box with solenoid is bad or could it be something else. Thanks for the help, Scott.

Old 06-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Find a secluded spot with a loose road (gravel or sand) on asphalt. Apply hard braking while 1 or 2 tires is still on good asphalt. This should trigger a lock up on the slippery side and hence engage the ABS system for the loose side. If your ABS light is not lit, it should be working fine. Every time you start your truck it does a self diagnosis. If it gets any malfunction codes it will warn you then and shut itself down.

When you replaced your brakes, I pray you didn't push the fluid back into the brake system as you collapsed the caliper did you? The proper way is to open a bleeder as you collapse the caliper so the old fluid with contaminents get out of the system. If you did not do this there may be something causing the hanging issue from bad fluid, like the Master Cylinder or the ABS valve. It can be an expensive lesson.

Good luck...let us know.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:26 PM
I went back out and tried to figure out why the caliper was sticking by cracking all the fittings until I found one that relieved the pressure. None of them did so I took the new right side caliper off and replaced it with my old one that was still OK and everything is fine. I should have dug a little deeper before jumping to the conclusion that the ABS was my problem.....especially with no ABS code but who would figure with a brand new OEM caliper. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Quick question: What kind of caliper new or??

New: As implies...all new

Remanufactured: All items except cast housing replaced and refinished to new spacifications.

Re-Built: Usually cleaned, inspected, and any part deemed bad are replaced.

Most auto parts stores do not differentiate between Reman. and Re-Built. Kinda like the auto industry using All Wheel and 4 wheel drive interchangably.

The only way to know what you bought, besides new, is to ask. They all look the same. I have no problem with re-man. but never buy re-built.

If you did get a bad NEW one....well that sometimes happens...but it's rare. OEM at some places refers to the pads and piston type vs. a new Bendix/Motorcraft part.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 07-01-2005 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:48 PM
It was a brand new OEM Ford Caliper complete with new pads. I just overlooked it because I just couldn't believe a new one would hang up that way.

Quick Reply: Brake Trouble......maybe ABS?