Amazing tire experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 08:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing tire experience

Hello everyone,

I just had new tires mounted and balanced for the first time tonight. I bought my truck brand new with 41 miles on the odometer. I have the off road package which gave me the Goodyear Wrangler ATS in a 265/70-17 size. I purchased the truck on December 3rd, 1999.

Over the years I have read on this board about others who have had a poor experience with this particular brand and model of tire. So I kept waiting to have my own problems with them. I waited almost 6 years and 97,567 miles to be exact. I took a screw in one tire at 73,000 miles and have used my spare since that time, and about a week ago I took another screw (the tire wasn't losing any air), but when I went to see about having it plugged the tire shop told me they wouldn't plug it because the tires were dry rotted, so I decided to buck up and finally buy some new shoes for my ride.

I had gotten to the point where I just wanted to keep the tires until at least 100,000 miles because I just couldn't believe the wear I was getting out of these things. So I was somewhat dissappointed to see the inside of the tires when I got home tonight (after having the new ones installed) to see that the screw that I just picked up hadn't penetrated all the way through. Just made me think I could've got 100K out of them.

I decided to go with a more aggressive tire and bought some 265/70-17 Dunlop radial mud rovers. I really like the look of the tread and they were about the cheapest mud tires that I could find @ $124/tire.

I don't expect to see near the tread life with the mud rovers, but then again I never would have thought the Wrangler ATS' would have carried me over 97,000 miles.

Have a great one everybody,

Mark D

Old 06-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Wrangler ATS is a pretty good tire. It's the Wrangler RTS that everyone complains about.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree, the AT/S's arent all that bad. The RTS is a POS tire though. I have seen very few people that actually like them.

In any case, you got 97k+ miles out of the tires, I think thats close enough that you can call it 100k miles :P Thats some very exceptional tread life.

Quick Reply: Amazing tire experience