Brake prices?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake prices?

I have a 2003 Scab XLT Sport 4x4, 5.4, with 19,000 miles. Recently had my oil changed at the dealer (free for first three years). Mechanic said I only have 3mm of pad left on the front, he wanted to replace pads at that time to the tune of $300.00 (pads only). I drive hard sometimes, but I am responsible when it comes to routine maintenance. How many miles does everyone average between pad replacement? Now don't chastise me, I know it depends heavily on GVW and driving style, I just want to hear when everyone else replaced their pads. I am thinking of doing this myself. I called the Ford parts Department. Part #F85Z2001AA, Front brake pads, $119.00 + tax. Part #XL3Z1125CB, Front Rotors (One Each), $162.00. So if I want to replace pads and rotors (left is slightly warped) it will cost me $442.00 + tax. That's doing it myself and not adding in the cost of the fluid and brake cleaner. Seems exorbitant to me, any cheaper alternatives? I have no problem with OE parts, just seems I may be able to upgrade for those prices. Thanks for your help.

Old 06-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Do it yourself, it's totally easy. There are a few threads here on how to do it, you can also just get a chop manual. You can do it in an hour. It takes more time for me to jack up my truck and remove a wheel, than it does to actually swap the pads once I'm in there.

The only special tools you need to do this yourself are a large C-Clamp; and then just some basic sockets and a jack. I'm not too smart, and if I can do it, you can, too.

Those prices seem ridiculous. You can get aftermarket pads and save a ton.

You should be able to machine those rotors to make them true. Machining rotors is only like $15 or so at most places. If not, get some aftermarket ones and save some dough. Or you can get Powerslot or some other good performance rotors for the price the dealer wants for factory rotors.

One place you can start is the The Tire Rack. Some good prices, and a super-easy online store to show you exactly what you'll need. (tirerack.com)

I get good service here:
brakeco.com
... their prices may seem a little high only because they don't carry crappy stuff - only top-line stuff. Great personal service when you call. But there's tons of places to get brakes.

I only get about 15K out of a set of pads, by the way. These trucks are very heavy. And I tend to drive a little fast...

Let us know what you do.

Old 06-17-2005, 04:41 PM
Thanks

Thanks for the follow-up JnM.

I think I will do it on my own. I have done brake jobs on older cars before. I just don't want to mess up the ABS system or anthing that will end up costing me more than the original repair. I have read a few of the How-To's on this site and it seems pretty straight forward.

Does anyone have a favorite brand or manufacturer they have used. I want at least OE quality and am not opposed to upgrading. I would like to make my purchase at a local store to help our local economy. I don't want to just walk into a parts store and ask questions. I like to have a factual base and know what I am purchasing before walking in. Any specific part numbers would help immensely along with a brand name for both rotors and pads. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2005, 07:22 PM
AWH
I just replaced the front brake pads on my '97 F150 4x4 with Raybestos PG Plus (OEM "or better") for $72. As JordannotMike said, it is pretty easy and straight forward. The whole job took me less than two hours (I did not bleed the line or machine the rotors though). Good luck.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmmm....I guess it depends on which dealer you take it to. I had my front brakes replaced today. Truck has just under 40k ('03 model), and gets a lot of city driving. So I suppose this should have been expected. I had a FORD dealer do this job for $129.75 TOTAL. This price included new Motorcraft pads, turning the rotors, and labor. So the price might depend on how badly your front brakes were out of shape. If you're doing some serious metal-to-metal grinding, your rotors may be shot. So you may be paying for rotors, too. Different dealers probably charge differents prices. After seeing how much you'll be paying, I think I came out pretty good. Try to get estimates from other places if you can. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:46 AM
I can't beleive people are going through brake pads that fast. I drive my truck hard and tow a boat close to 4000 lbs often. I have 53000 on my brakes. What gives?

Old 06-20-2005, 11:02 PM
15K between pad change? Wow. I tailgate people like mad and punish the brakes but they still last me 80K. For that kind of price you can get Powerslot cryo frozen rotors and premium ceramic pads. I'm with Jordan on this one, go with Tirerack for the selection. (Although their custome service is horrible) They sent me poorly packaged products which got damaged during shipment. It took 4 calls to get this reply "your rotors are backordered 4 weeks" :click: Fortunately they dared to send a customer satisfaction survey where I slammed them!! Rated TireRack a 3 out of 10.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by orlando
I can't beleive people are going through brake pads that fast. I drive my truck hard and tow a boat close to 4000 lbs often. I have 53000 on my brakes. What gives?
Blower. It's fun to go fast but you gotta stop at some point...
Plus towing a 7,000 lb boat here and there doesn't help either.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:11 PM
I changed my pads last week all around. I started on the drivers side front. Took me 30 minutes to do the drivers side. They just slide right in, but I was taking my time to make sure I got familiar with all the parts.

My dad was sitting there in the garage with a stopwatch timing me. I moved to the passenger's side front. As soon as I got the brakes installed on that side and tightened the last remaining lugnut, he says "25 minutes! Your getting faster!"

Then I did the rears. They are cake once you do the fronts. The rears are just attached to the caliper and caliper pistons by brackets. It took me about an hour and a half to install all the brakes, and my Dad helped me bleed them.

This is only the second time in my life that I've done a brake job. I can vaguely remember my Dad teaching me how to do a brake job on my first vehicle, which was an 83' f150. If I can do it, you can too.

Quick Reply: Brake prices?