First Brake job @ 34,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Brake job @ 34,000 miles

In case you are keeping score with your own brake longevity, I had my first front brake job on my 2002 Supercrew Lariat. Granted, a supercrew is a big heavy truck, and I usually have a few hundred pounds worth of extra crap in back, but I am disappointed at having to do this so early.

The service technician told me the pads were down to 2mm, meaning they were almost down to metal. He also said that the rotors were heavily pitted with rust spots. He really tried to push me into new rotors, as he said he thought the originals were not machinable. I told him to machine/turn them anyway, and if they weren't thick enough after machining, I wanted them back to measure myself. Short story is that they "turned out okay after all".

Most of my miles are driving around suburban Chicago, so there is a lot of stop and go, but 34000?

Last edited by Illini_Screw; 06-15-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:01 PM
SM
Our '01 Screw gets a mix of city, surburban, and highway driving, and has 97,000 miles on all original factory brakes. Had it in to a local dealer for the cruise control recall ,and they did one of those courtesy multi-point inspections, and everything was checked off as good, including the brakes.

My own inspection confirmed that I still have a good bit of pad left...20,000 more miles maybe?

I think a conservative driving style is the biggest factor.

SM

Old 06-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by SM
I think a conservative driving style is the biggest factor.
SM
I totally agree.

I only get about 15K miles on a set of front pads

Old 06-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced my front and rear pads today...just under 24,000 total miles. They were quite worn. Also installed new rotors all around and the factory rotors did not require any effort to remove - thank goodness!

Old 06-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Illini,

I had my front brakes replaced at 39,500. From what I understand, there are MANY factors that determine how often they wear out. You're right about one thing: the weight of the truck is a BIG factor. Mine is about 5000 lbs, unloaded! And front brakes do about 70% of the work. It also depends on how you drive it and where you drive. City driving is more demanding on brakes, so are some people. I wish that weren't the case, but I can't tell her how to drive. I will say, however, that I can't really complain about how much I spent on the work. I took it to a Ford dealer for lube/oil/filter service, and this dealer always does a multipoint inspection along with it. That's when I found out I needed some brakes. I spent $129.75 for the brake job, which included turning the rotors and genuine Motorcraft pads. I don't think that's a bad price.

Old 06-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
37 k on my factory pads

I have about a little over a quarter of an inch of oem pad left. When they go I will ask for the exact same pads. No problems with brake dust or squealing at all.

Quick Reply: First Brake job @ 34,000 miles