Another freakin' tire question

Old 06-08-2005, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another freakin' tire question

Yeah, yeah... I know where the search button is. I just can't find an answer or someone with my dilemma.

Will 295/70/17 Nitto TGs fit on my stock 17" 04 FX4 rim? No leveling kit installed. I'm more concerned with the rim width than any rubbing issues.

I thought 92vmax had it but then he stated he had a wider rim.

Sorry to be redundant, but I swear, seems like I've been reading for a week!

Thanks,
J

Old 06-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Those tires are roughly 11.5" wide and 33" tall. You will probably rub, and I think they would fit on the rims. I would guess that the tire manufacturer recommends a larger rim than 7.5" but some people on the site here have done it anyway. The stock tires on my F150 were almost 32" and there was some room left. Personnally, I prefer a bit of room without having to trim, just in case I hit a rut or bump a bit fast. I'm sure Wandell will tell you the real deal as soon as he reads your post.

Old 06-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks dkm.

I may invest in the autospring a little later to solve any rub issues.

J

Old 06-08-2005, 11:10 AM
They will fit the rim.... I was running 315/70-17 BFGs on my stock 17x7.5 rims, you just have to play with your tire pressure so that you don't get the center portion of the tire wearing faster than the rest. Also rotate them every 6000 miles.... This is very important for long tread life and not cupping them.... You will probably rub without the leveling kit, it will be close, but with the leveling kit there should be no problems...

Old 06-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nitto Tires

Yes, I do have the 295/70-17 but instead of the stock 7.5" rim I do have an 8" Looks good and work well! You should also be able to fit on the stock rim, like stated above, rotation will be mandority if you do not already do it!

As for rub issues, I needed the extra height, tore the skid plate off the first week. My truck also had stock 245/70-17 so much smaller 31" tires. The leveling kit brought the front up, but it is still a couple inches lower than the front. Even under load the truck is still higher in the back. I am sure with a heavy load it will be level or even lower in the back but most likely not by much.

The fit is nice with the 2" leveling kit, fills in the wells nice without looking crowded. So far I like the tires as well. I was spinning even on grass on hills, now runs right up stuff no problem.

Hoipe that this helps.

David

Old 06-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks for your replies mshane and David.

The Generals on my FX are 255/70/17s. They look puny. They also have a tendancy to chirp from a standstill. Well.....that may be my foot. I also have a slight shimmy on the rear drivers side around 55 mph. Maybe a better set of tires will resolve this too. We'll see.

Old 06-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by mshane1
They will fit the rim.... I was running 315/70-17 BFGs on my stock 17x7.5 rims, you just have to play with your tire pressure so that you don't get the center portion of the tire wearing faster than the rest. Also rotate them every 6000 miles.... This is very important for long tread life and not cupping them.... You will probably rub without the leveling kit, it will be close, but with the leveling kit there should be no problems...
What tire pressure are you running your 315's at mshane1? I have the same treads on my 99 xlt 4x4 and I am seeing the same wear pattern. I was running about 32psi in mine but I'm guessing thats too much. I ordered new skins but my guy tells me they are backordered till probably July.I'm in Canada and he says there are no BFG 315's in the country.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:38 AM
I was running about 38lbs and the last say 1/4" of the inside and outside of the tires weren't making the best contact with the pavement. What I did was took some kids chalk and made a mark across each of my tires, then drive it about 30 feet, check the chalk liine and see where you are and adjust pressure accordingly.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:31 PM
great idea...I'll try it....whenever my new tires get here......I'm running a set of wore out goodyear at/s's 265's cause Im workin down an old railway bed and the spikes are eating tires right off my rig..but thanks for the tip

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another freakin' tire question