Rear axle seal question

Old 05-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear axle seal question

Hey guys , new to the forum and this is my first question.

i am going to be replaceing rear brakes on a 98 f150 this weeknd. I also need to replace the axle seals. Breaks are not a problem , but i have never done the seals on a ford. Is it the same as im used to , just take the diff cover off, remove the 2 c-clips and the axles slide out , or are they different than that. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance, Ryan

Old 05-27-2005, 06:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yup, that pretty much sums it up. Use 75W140 gear oil to refill and one bottle of friction modifier if you've got a limited slip axle. The rear axle cover is sealed with RTV. The bolt for the cross pin is either 3/8 or 10mm, I forget exactly. Also note on the back of the axle flanges, you may have to turn it a certain amount so that the wheel studs won't hit the backing plate, preventing you from getting enough clearance to remove the C-clips.

Old 05-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
Yup, that pretty much sums it up. Use 75W140 gear oil to refill and one bottle of friction modifier if you've got a limited slip axle. The rear axle cover is sealed with RTV. The bolt for the cross pin is either 3/8 or 10mm, I forget exactly.
The bolt is 8mm and tap the end with a hammer first to break the loc-tight or you can easily break the bolt and have one heck of a time removing it.

EDIT: 5/31/05

Oooohhh....almost forgot, if you have a blind bearing puller, replace those outer bearings too. They are on the loose end from the Dana/Spicer plant. Get a good Timkin or TRW bearing and the seals won't go bad again. remeber to put a little oil or gresae on the new seal lip so they don't burn when first installed.

Last edited by Colorado Osprey; 05-31-2005 at 08:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear axle seal question