Better performing brakes for 99 F150?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 01:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Better performing brakes for 99 F150?

is there any kind of upgrade that can be done with F150 brakes? i don't need radical improvement, but the current ones squeal and squeak and make all kinds of racket, and if i'm going to replace them i want to go up a notch.

i need something that can still handle towing, and is more or less a bolt on type application. if it replaces pistons and rotors and the whole 9 yards, that's fine too. i'm not looking to spend a fortune, but i don't want to skimp on quality to save a buck.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:41 PM
I'd try to get some new pads first, and perhaps some rotors as well, in the stock size.

Here's a thread for pads:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=197221

For rotors, you'll find differing opinions. I like high-quality cross-drilled rotors; cheapie ones tend to develop cracks so know what you are buying. Power Stop, QuickStop and AP are brands that I'm familiar with. I run QuickStops right now.

Quality slotted rotors are also a good alternative, PowerSlot and Brembo being just two good brands. The Tire Rack sells Brembos at a good price, both slotted and "regular" which are also fine.

I've had good recommendations and pricing from these guys: brakeco.com

Big brake upgrades are not cheap. Stanless Steel Brakes are the cheapest, I think, at around $2K.

Baer should have their Eradispeed Plus brake kits out very soon for your truck. Crash (a supporting vendor who is in the Superchargers forum) now sells Baer products, you can hit him up (his site is: trixstersracing.com) Basically, the Eradispeed Plus gives you a larger rotor, new pads and a caliper relocation kit so it will fit. You need 18" wheels, I believe, and these kits should sell for less than $700. I want to try this setup in the future...you could be be the first on this site with them

Old 05-26-2005, 09:29 PM
thanks for the advice, right now i think pads and rotors are about all i need.

is there any disadvantage (other than price) to using the brembo slotted rotors? If i tow, will it damage these brakes?

what about the hawk ceramic pads? will those hold up as well?

the brakes i have on right now are OEM (although replaced before) and they squeal and squall and make all kinds of noise, after going for repair 3 times. If i'm going to be replacing them, i might as well upgrade what i've got while i'm doing it.

thanks for the advice.

Old 05-27-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by crimson shrew
is there any disadvantage (other than price) to using the brembo slotted rotors? If i tow, will it damage these brakes?

what about the hawk ceramic pads? will those hold up as well?
With those Brembos, you should have a definite Advantage (not a disadvantage) over the stock brakes. They'll be great for towing, too.

I'm not sold on ceramics personally, but many others run them and are happy with them.

I've run Hawk HPS (non-ceramics) for years on my Expy and I absolutely loved them. Great pedal feel, and even when towing a heavy boat thru the desert they gave me confidence that I could stop at any time.

Whatever you get, make sure you bed the pads properly. Google "bed brake pad" and you'll come up with a lot of sources for info on how to do this. Here's ho a few MFRs want it done:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/...procedures.jsp

Old 05-27-2005, 06:49 PM
wol
I purchased Power slot cryo rotors for the front from Tire Rack, and they only charged $24 2nd day UPS shipping to Alaska! I then purchased the Ceramic pads from NAPA. I broke the brakes in and the stopping is great, better than before.

Don't forget to use a torque wrench on the wheel nuts to apply even pressure on the rotors!

Unfortunately I have not gone through a winter with these so can't report whether the slots do anything for stopping power, but the cryo rotors will feel right at home

Quick Reply: Better performing brakes for 99 F150?