More Brake questions,........

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Brake questions,........

Gentlemen, I hope you can help me. Please forgive my ignorance, I am learning about this truck as I go along, and I hope someone can help me. My truck is a 2000 F150 XLT 4x4 with the 4.6L and 4-wheel disc brakes. When going slow speeds, coasting to a stop, like pulling out of my driveway, etc,... when I press the pedal, it jumps and it's like pressure back on the pedal and the truck wants to keep going when driving normal speeds, it slows down normally, but when it reaches a crawl, this is when it starts. If you get right into the pedal, it slows right down, then just before the truck stops, it's like you let off the pedal for a sec and then the brake re-enacts and comes to a complete stop. I am assuming a sensor, or something similar? The ABS light hasn't come on either, so this is why I am so baffled. I have the mechanical abilities to do minor stuff, if I am told what to do. I have no warranty, so I prefer to do what I can myself. Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated, I am so in need of assistance

Old 05-23-2005, 10:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Indeed, it sounds as though the system is detecting a wheel locking up when it shouldn't. This can be caused by a faulty wheel speed sensor on the front wheel, or a faulty axle speed sensor in the rear. There could also be an intermittent break in the wiring going to the sensor too. Without a diagnostic computer hooked up to it while it's acting up, it's tough to tell exactly what's wrong, but before you take it in, check the basics. Look to see if there's a broken or frayed wire, look for oil contamination around the connector on the rear differential, check that all the plugs are clean and tight.

Let us know what you find. Good luck!

-Joe

Quick Reply: More Brake questions,........