Procedure for Replacing Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Procedure for Replacing Rear Brakes

Can someone provide a link to a thread describing how to replace the rear disc brake pads?

Do I need to replace the rotors too or just the pads???

I have about 50,000 miles on the truck.

Thanks,
F150Sport

Old 05-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I dunno about links, but I can explain it. The rear calipers are held on by two 10mm six point bolts. Remove those, and remove the caliper. Using a screwdriver or similar object, bend the retaining clips on the outside pad to get it off the caliper. Crack open the bleeder valve, 3/8" six point BTW, and use a C-clamp or a big pair of channel lock pliers to compress the caliper piston back into it's bore. With the bleeder valve open, it shouldn't take very much force to compress the caliper, and you're not shoving dirty fluid back through sensitive ABS valves and whatnot.

Install the new pads. Note, the pads have different grooves where they ride on the caliper bracket, they're keyed to fit one way only to where the open end of the groove on the bottom (or top, I forget) of the inside and outside pad line up, and the closed end of the groove line up.

You may want to pull your rotors off and tote them down to Autozone or something to get them resurfaced. Your choice, although I'd highly recommend it. If the pads haven't hit metal to metal and the rotor isn't too thin to be resurfaced, there's no need to replace them. Removing the rotor can be tricky sometimes, especially for people who live in northern climes with rust and road salt. Sometimes they'll slide right off, sometimes you've gotta take your favorite Big you-know-what Hammer and beat the hell out of them 'till they give up. In any case, put 'er back together afterwards and see how it does. Be sure to pump the brakes up several times before moving the truck, since you've gotta get fluid back in the calipers from when you opened the bleeder to shove the caliper pistons back in. And when I say pump them up, don't stomp the pedal to the floor. Just little by little, no more than about an inch or two at a time, until the pedal builds up.

Any problems, lemme know.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:09 AM
This link was posted by Mike150 in another recent thread. It has detailed pics and info on how to change your brakes.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/li...?aid=240&sid=2

Last edited by Peacemaker; 05-17-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:56 AM
wow my article has made it around! LOL. If you don't want the annoying FTW ads, etc. you can also visit the article here: http://www.rmftc.com/howtos/brakes/brakes.html

Old 05-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Thats very good info Matt. Very explainitory and detailed.

Old 05-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Matt,
I have done tons of break jobs, and you have written one of the best how-to's that I've seen. Good Job!

Old 05-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks! Love to hear it!
Wish I had tiem to write more, I love when people benefit fromw hat I've done.
In case you want to see some other articles I've done you can go to http://www.rmftc.com/howtos.html

Old 05-18-2005, 10:34 AM
That's some handy info man. You might want to make a "recent" thread of your own here with these links in it so more people can see it.

Old 05-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by mattadams
wow my article has made it around! LOL. If you don't want the annoying FTW ads, etc. you can also visit the article here: http://www.rmftc.com/howtos/brakes/brakes.html
Very, very helpful. Excellent work!

I have just made my 4th post in 6 years, is that a record?!

Last edited by Mihoba; 05-30-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Matt Adams.... yet another "Thank You" for the excellent write up on the brake repair... your "How To" was extremely useful when I did my brakes....

I need to repair/weatherstrip some old double-hung windows in our 85 yr old home this summer.... how soon can you write a good "How-to" up...??

Quick Reply: Procedure for Replacing Rear Brakes