F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Tires & Brakes (https://www.f150online.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes-29/)
-   -   Motorcraft ceramics almost get me killed... anyone else had issues with their SCab? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/wheels-tires-brakes/189384-motorcraft-ceramics-almost-get-me-killed-anyone-else-had-issues-their-scab.html)

SliderJeff 03-11-2005 02:33 PM

Motorcraft ceramics almost get me killed... anyone else had issues with their SCab?

Hey guys, just had my front pads replaced yesterday. The POS that I had put on by Brake Stop were almost down to metal on metal at 10-friggin-K miles!!!

Anyway... they stuck motorcraft ceramic pads on... and I couldn't stop for ***** the whole way home. Felt like I was pressing down on a cement block when I pushed the brake pedal... and I couldn't stop by slamming on the brakes... only coasting.

Took it back and the shop didn't understand why that was the case (though they felt something wasn't right when they test drove it as well). Needless to say, they just called and replaced those pads with AC Delco ceramic pads. I've never had this happen before with brakes... especially since the shop is telling me that the Motorcraft ones are original equipment model vs. aftermarket AC Delco ones.

We'll see what happens when I pick it up in a few hours.

Anyone else had issues where the type of pads they had installed didn't work on their truck? I drive a 2001 SCab in stop and go traffic about 13 miles to work everyday. I've never had brakes that felt like they weren't even attached before. Very weird.

Later,
Jeff

RockyJSquirrel 03-11-2005 05:00 PM

My truck has the Motorcraft ceramic pads on it, they were on it when I bought it 5 months ago. The brakes require a little bit more pedal pressure to stop than other vehicles I've driven, but it only took me a couple days to get used to them. I sometimes pull a 2500 lb trailer and don't have any problems with it. I'm also a type 'A' personality and a somewhat aggressive driver, so I use my brake pedal almost as much as I use my gas pedal.

SliderJeff 03-11-2005 06:06 PM

Thanks, Rocky.

No friggin idea what the deal was, but the new AC Delco pads feel alot better and actually seem to stop me, whereas I seriously feared for my life with the other ones on there. I know that the ceramics are harder than the normal pads, so it requires a little more "oomph" when you engage the pads, but this was ridiculous. I'm supposed to drive on these a few days and then call the owner back and report my feelings. Hopefully everything will be fine. Driving to my hockey game on Sunday should be a good acid test in lots of stop and go "type A" driving. :)

Thanks again,
Jeff

98SCREAMER 03-12-2005 12:25 PM

One thing I can almost guarantee they didn't do, is lube the caliper pins. I finally did my own brake job yesterday, with new Wagner rotors and pads. The pins were pretty gummed up, looks like they hadn't been touched since it rolled off the line in 98. I don't know if it was a combo of the new rotors, pads, or lubing the pins, but it is VERY much improved! If you have the ability (easy!) it's worth a try. My brakes were kind of weak before, even with plenty of pad left.,,,,98

SliderJeff 03-12-2005 02:35 PM

Thanks, 98Screamer. I know pretty much jack crap when it comes to repairing my own stuff. Care to elaborate on what is needed to perform the pin lube?

Thanks,
Jeff

98SCREAMER 03-12-2005 06:40 PM

Facing towards the inside, on the outer corners of the caliper, are two 13mm bolts. You undo these, then pull the caliper off. The pads and all should stay in place on the caliper bracket. Where the two 13mm bolts were screwed in, are the floating pins. They have little accordion
looking rubber seals. Gently twist the seal off ,and the pin should slide right out. Clean the pins with acetone, lacquer thinner, or whatever solvent you have around. Also clean the holes out, where they sit. I used 4 pipe cleaners, bent in the middle, and some acetone. lube up the pins, put a little in the holes also, and work it around a bit to make sure it's spread pretty evenly. slide the pins back in, and twist the seals back onto the groves on the pin and caliper bracket. There's no major dissembly or anything, just the two bolts that hold the caliper onto the spindle.,,,,98

SliderJeff 03-13-2005 12:20 AM

Thanks a bunch for the tip, 98Screamer!

Regs,
Jeff

98SCREAMER 03-13-2005 03:14 AM

No problem, glad I could help some.,,,,98

GDDYUP 03-20-2005 05:40 PM

Also, dobnt forget to cleant he surfaces where the pads slide on the caliper braket. Use some brake cleaner and a rag to get all the krustys off there and lube the slides with a very minimal amount of brake lube. You can get the cleaner and lube at any good auto parts store. Also clean the back surface of the pads and put a skim coat of brake lube on there too. That will take up the extra space between the pad and the caliper and reduce noise and "squeeks" when you apply the brakes.