EBC Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up EBC Brakes

I finally did it! After several months of putting up with strange sounds coming from my front brakes I changed them. The sounds were the result 4x4ing gone wrong. I went through a hole and sunk in pretty bad. The hole was full of wet, sloppy mud and gravel. The gravel worked its way into the brakes. A small piece got in between the caliper and rotor and scratched it up pretty bad. The brakes worked fine but were noisy.
After much searching I finally decided on the EBC Sport Series rotors and EBC 6000 4x4 pads. The rotors are slotted and dimpled and come covered with a black powder coat (??). The powder coat wears off of the braking surface fairly quickly and stays in the slots and dimples, making for a nice contrasting appearance. The pads are from EBC’s Greenstuff series and are made for heavy trucks and SUVs. The pads are fade resistant to something like 1000°F, and claim to throw 80% less dust.
After about 150 miles all I can say is WOW! These brakes stop this big, heavy truck better than I had ever expected. I did not really think that I would notice a big difference, how wrong was I. It feels like I installed an arresting hook! The first thing that I noticed was that I was stopping much sooner in normal driving. Places that I turn into all the time I was stopping way short of my turn, this was with normal, easy braking. Now that I have put a few miles on I have done a couple of harder stops and these things are incredible!

I have put a few pics up in my gallery if any of ya'll are interested.

Joe

Old 07-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you dont mind me asking. How much do they cost?

Old 07-05-2004, 04:46 PM
From the Tire Rack:

Rotors = $186 + shipping
Pads = $59 + shipping

Joe

Old 07-06-2004, 11:40 PM
i ordered the same EBC rotors for my stang. i hope they work and last. if they do then i will be getting them for the truck.

Old 07-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Wookie,

Did the EBC 6000's make less brake dust or about the same from your stock pads? and did it create any other noise that was not normal because they are not ceramic pads that are recommended by the manufacturer..please let me know...thanks

01 4.6 4:10 gears LS
24" Katana Azzad's/ 305/35 kumho
Flowmaster 40 original SI/DO
pro comp 9000 shocks (fr)
pro comp 3000 shocks (rear)
rancho 5000 stablizer shock
Hellwig rear anti-sway bar
Front A- arm and front sway bar-
polyurethane energy suspension bushings
BBK 75mm TB
BBK pulley set
Moog heavy duty ball joints (upper and lower)
K&N Kit GEN II
Power programmer III
HD lower valance
HD speed tubes
Viper remote start 791VX

Old 07-16-2004, 07:54 PM
So far these pads have given off almost no dust at all. I have driven almost 600 miles since the last time I washed the truck and the front wheels still shine. The only dust that I see is from road dirt, gravel parking lots etc. They are much quieter than the stock pads were, no squeels, groans, etc. As for the ceramic part, I know the Tire Rack states that these trucks have ceramic pads but I will call B.S. on that. So far I have and 2 late model F-150's and neither has had ceramic pads from the factory. I THINK that a dealership could install ceramic pads as a factory replacement to appease a customer that was having problems with noise & dust. So far I am more than pleased with this setup. So much so that I am debating changing the back brakes out.

Joe

Old 07-18-2004, 11:56 PM
These vehicles all come with ceramic pads. You can't tell the difference by looking at used ones.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:39 PM
Bad luck with EBC 6000

I am very dissapointed with the EBC 6000 pads I put on the front of my '01 F150 4x4. I replaced the original OEM pads in February '04 at 55,000 miles. Here, now some 7 months later, they are completely wore down. As a matter of fact, they wore down to the metal backing plate on the right side and ruined the rotor. (Odd that there's not wear indicator on these pads) I drive about 23,000 miles per year, all highway. Calipers and pad slides were fine, no hanging up or anything. Also, I had a tremendous amount of dust when compared to the original Ford stuff. I don't know, maybe I got a bad set or something. But I definitely expected to get more than 12k miles out of the new setup. Anyone else experience anything like this with their EBCs?

Old 11-09-2004, 02:07 PM
I put the EBC6000 pads on my wife's Suzuki Grand Vitara. They make less dust than her stock pads, but they still make considerably more dust than the ceramic pads from tirerack I put on my F150. Stopping power seems about the same as her stock pads, but to be honest I've never panic stopped the vehicle. She's got maybe 15,000 miles on the EBC and they seem to be wearing fine.

I got over 50,000 miles on my '99 F150 OEM pads, and then got less than 20,000 miles on a cheap pair of very dusty non-name brand pads I bought at a chain auto parts store (Carquest, I think).

The moral is pad life and dust levels really seems to vary. I am sticking with ceramic from now on. Performance is fine for my needs (little towing, pretty easy on the brakes) and no-dust is really nice.

Old 11-12-2004, 04:59 PM
I have almost 40k miles on my EBC 6000's and OEM brembo's and they are still fantastic. And all my friends that have trucks are always commenting on how little brake dust I have.

I have been reccomending the EBC Brembo combo for over two years now and when I need new fronts I will buy them again.

Quick Reply: EBC Brakes