315/75/16 MT's on the way!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 315/75/16 MT's on the way!

Well, I finally broke down and did it... ordered 4 new Geolander MT's yesterday, should be in and mounted by the weekend! I decided to try and stay with the 8" wheels I have for now, even though I've heard there may be some rubbing with the Fabtech upper control arm. I'm banking on the "newer" Fabtech spindles that seem to have widened the front stance to give me a little more clearance there. I'll let you guys know how it goes. (Just to be safe, I've re-routed my ABS sensor wires to make sure they don't get rubbed or pinched!)

If anybody's interested, I'll have a set of 4 BFG A/T KO's (285/75/16) with about 5,000 miles on them for sale for a good price unless they give me a good offer for trade-in. Let me know...

PS... Maybe I could trade the tires for a place to live. Not sure the wife will understand 3 new sets of tires (265 Pirellis, 285 BFGs, 315 Geolanders) in a year!

------------------
-JonC-
*Silver 2000 4x2 F150 Supercab
*4.6L Triton V8
*BFG 285/75/16 AT KO's
*16 x 8 Panther Custom 108's
*K&N GenII FIPK
*Custom Cat-back w/ Flowmaster 50 Series
*Fabtech 6.5" "Ultimate" suspension lift
*Smittybilt nerf bars
*Extang Black Max soft tonneau
*Stull billet grille
*Clear corners

[This message has been edited by JonC (edited 02-20-2001).]

Old 02-20-2001, 05:04 PM
JonC,
Same thing I did, sucks but the look and compliment will make up for it.....Let her drive it for a day and she will know what you mean........Dave

------------------

[This message has been edited by DAVENSA (edited 02-20-2001).]

Old 02-20-2001, 05:15 PM
JonC...Those wheels are awesome! Is Panther the actual name brand? You have one fine looking ride there, sir.

------------------
Ordered 2-20-01 '01 F150 Supercab XLT 4x4 SWB
507A Pkg.
Oxford white
Dark Graphite Interior
Captains Chairs
5.4 Triton
Auto Tranny
Off Road Package
Towing Package
Power Moonroof
3.55 Limited Slip
Heated Seats
AM-FM Cassette/6 disc CD
Power Drivers Seat
Sliding Rear Window
Adjustable Pedals
Electronic 4x4 Shift

Immediate Mods - Rhino Liner, 285's on Weld Wheels, K & N, Flowmaster

Old 02-20-2001, 05:30 PM
Dont forget to post new pictures when you get the tires installed.....Dave

------------------
1998 F-150,4x2,4.6 AUTOMATIC, XLT

FABTECH LIFT 6.5
BODY LIFT 3IN (6"11 1/2")
LIFT LIPS
315 GEOLANDERS
EAGLE 143 16X10s
SUPERLIFT TRACTION BARS
NERF BARS
F&R LUMI LOGOS
SUPERCHIPPED
FLOWMASTER 40
CB (TX CHAPTER MUST)
CLEAR CORNERS
IMAGE COVERS BACK LIGHTS
COVERKING DASH COVER
SNUG LID
BEDLINER AND MAT
EGR FENDER FLARES
CLASS III HITCH
STROBES
PAINTED MOTOR
AIRAID KIT W/PREFILTER
BUG SHIELD AND RAIN GUARDS
6 DISC CD CHANGER
BLUE LIGHTS UNDER TRUCK
MUTH MIRRORS

San Antonio
DWESSELS89@AOL.COM

FUTURE MODS
4.56 GEARS
SUPER CHARGER
HEADERS

Old 02-20-2001, 05:39 PM
Dave... I've actually had people stop and ask me about the truck when she's been with me. She just smiles and rolls her eyes, says she doesn't get it by I suspect she does. I've offered to modify her Explorer for her, but she refuses. Oh well, so far all is well and I expect it will stay that way. I will definitely get some new pics up when I get the tires done!

Zach... Yup, it's Panther Custom Wheels or PCW. They have a web-site too, I believe. If I can find their URL, I'll let you know. I like 'em a lot, too... that's why I'm staying with them right now even though Dave has cautioned me about them possibly causing a rub problem. They don't make this wheel in a 10", so I'll just have to try it and see how bad it is. I'll change if I have to but sure don't want to! Thanks for the compliment, by the way.

-JonC-

Old 02-20-2001, 06:25 PM
If you do sell your 285's how much would you be asking for them?

------------------
1997 4X4 supercab short box
True dual exhaust
tinted windows
Pioner CD player
soft tonneau cover
Lund bug shield
Oh yeah and a Dixie air horn
Future mods: 285/75/r16's
brush guard
running boards
Stainless steel rocker panel covers
4X4 stickers

Old 02-20-2001, 07:00 PM
Jon C, what have you heard about the 315's mounted on 8 inch rims rubbing against fabtech upper control arms? And where is the abs sensor and wires that might be pinched by rubbing tires? Do you know what would happen if those wires got cut or damaged by a rubbing tire?
Thanks

Old 02-20-2001, 07:19 PM
JSL1414... DAVENSA could answer that one better than I. Apparently he mounted the same tire on his 8" rims and they ballooned out enough to where they rubbed on his upper control arms in turns. He switched to 10" wheels and problem was fixed. I'm banking on a little extra clearance from having Fabtech's newer spindles installed. I'm not sure but I believ Dave's are the older "Bullseye" style which don't push the wheels out quite as far. (correct me if I'm wrong, Dave) Anyway, I've got my fingers crossed.
The ABS sensor goes through an opening in the back of the spindle and the wire / cables should be clipped to your control arms as it runs up under the hood. Mine were zip tied to the outside of the Fabtech control arms when I had them installed, so I just relocated them to the inner surfaces away from the tires. Pretty easy, and better safe than sorry! Not sure what would happen if they were damaged. I'm sure the brakes would still work, just not in the ABS mode... and the ABS warning light on the dash would probably come on. Hope this helps.

FunBoy... don't know for sure. I guess I'd be happy if I got $300 for the 4. They're just like new.

Old 02-20-2001, 09:31 PM
yes mine are the bullseye.....Hope the Fabtech are different...I didnt have any other rubbing problems though...Just on the upper a arm.....Dave

Old 02-21-2001, 01:15 PM
Angry

CURSES! FOILED AGAIN!!!

Turns out Yoko Geolander M/T's in 315/75/16 are on back-order nationwide... look's like I'll just have to be patient and wait. (something I'm NOT very good at!)

Oh well, what are ya' gonna do, huh?

-Jon-

Old 02-22-2001, 10:28 AM
JonC...I found the Panther web site, thank you. Which 108 did you go with, painted, polished or chrome? Hope the tires come off national backorder soon!

Old 02-22-2001, 01:52 PM
I may be interested in your tires as well and I`m in South OC

Ryan

------------------
2001 5.4

Old 02-22-2001, 03:03 PM
Mine are the silver painted... almost a perfect match with the silver truck! I hope the tires come in soon, too but I'm thinking it may be a while! I've looked several different places, even called Yokohama US. Looks like at least a month... I'll keep you updated.

-Jon-

Old 02-23-2001, 09:20 PM
Unhappy

an update... Got an e-mail reply from Yokohama US operations regarding the Geolander MT's. That tire is not currently scheduled for production (in Japan) nor do they know when they will be. Typically after the production run is done it takes on average 3 months for the tires to get to the US and then additonal time to make their way thru the distribution channels. Damn!

Anyway... tell me if I'm crazy, but it seems like almost everybody's MT's are on backorder in 315/75/16! What I did was go to my local Discount Tire place -they know me by name now when I walk in the front door - and bought a set of Pathfinder ATR's in 315. Seems to be a decent tire, not terribly expensive, looks good. I figured I'd try these out to see how this size runs with my stock gears and such, and if I'm happy maybe down the road somewhere, I'll look for the mudders again.

Have I lost it?

-Jon-

Old 02-24-2001, 03:45 PM
oh yes...the yoko MTs were on backorder for several months, I looked all over the internet and everything...and then one night i (re)checked tirerack.com in late dec. and they had a set- i ordered em and got em for about $650 including shipping and they turned out great...bought some rims through my local shop- personally, the set up i think is sweet and they are awesome on & offroad (esp. offroad), anywayz, good luck- check up on tirerack.com maybe they have another set...

Quick Reply: 315/75/16 MT's on the way!