Brakes gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2000, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brakes gone bad?

I'm a little curious. I just leased a 2000 F-150 in August. It's been running great since it was brand new, but the other day something happened. My girlfriend and I were leaving dinner, and I let her drive. She was just slowly cruising down the parking lot toward the main street, and she couldn't stop! I looked over at her leg to see if she was trying to stop, and she was pumping her leg pretty hard. Well needless to say we got in an accident.

I want to know if there's anyone out there that's heard of brakes failing on a brand new truck?? I'm confused right now.

Thanks for taking the time out to read this!

------------------
Mike

Old 11-14-2000, 08:41 AM
It is extremely extremely rare to have a double brake system failure. In I don't want to say how many million miles of driving, over many vehicles, it has never happened to me. A single failure on a dual system, yes rareley, like a rear brake line rusting through, but still had front brakes. I would suspect pedal linkage to booster not having retaining clip on (easy to verify), master cylinder major messup, or if you have 4W ABS, an extremely rare, I never heard of one, failure in ABS unit that opened all the decay valves, could include the electronics there. But if you have rear wheel ABS only, the fronts should have been unaffected by any ABS action. A failure of vacuum to the brake booster, or booster failure would have resulted in more pedal pressure needed to stop, but there is a mechanical path through the booster, so you would stop, just tougher to do. There is also driver failure, which you would know if that's a possibility, not me.

Old 11-19-2000, 08:40 PM
Granpa left out the obvious: Beer bottle under brake pedal.

Otherwise, he's put forth a good argument for how it couldn't have happened as described.

------------------
Y2K™ Jim - N8JG@Hotmail.com

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 11-26-2000, 08:22 PM
Banned
Never let a woman drive you ride man

------------------
'97 F-150 XLT Clearcoat Red
4x2
4x4 wheels
Stepside, K&N, bedliner
32inch tires,flowmaster
tint, matching ford sticker
5spd fully loaded, hidden hitch
new spark plugs
Comming soon:
spark plug wires,leveling kit,toolbox,
bed rails,push bar, CB with whiplash,
clear corner lenses,brush guard, blackouts,
edlebrock shocks, hypertech, K&N induction system,KC highlighters,
bed xtender, BOSE audio or infinity gold, disc changer,
side steps, dixie horn, white faaced gauges, and those small fender flares some 4x4's have,
matching boddy color of course, and some of those door guards,ventshade visors, power pulleys, that is all
i can think of right now

Quick Reply: Brakes gone bad?