HELP HELP! A WHEEL Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 05:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP HELP! A WHEEL Question

I have a bit of a problem. I have an 03' F150 XLT. I just got a set of lightning replica wheels. They fit the bolt pattern perfect an there are no spacing issues with travel.

My question is directly related to the lug nuts. I know that the L uses a specific lug nut on it's wheels. Saw something in the ford parts catalog about one being 12mm and another being 14mm.

What makes the lug nuts different on the L and is size difference thread or stud diameter related?

Is anyone running the replica wheel and if so what lug nuts are you using? Are they conical?

The wheels I have appear to have a slight taper around the mounting holes but in my opinion does not look to be tapered very much at all. Is that normal? If so, just how much of a taper do the normal aftermarket wheels using conical lugs for mounting have to them?

Thanks a Ton in advance

Old 08-23-2003, 07:27 AM
Ok, I found out alot of info from searching the threads and answered most of my questions but a few still remain.

I assume since my replica wheels are also 14mm offset that I will need the lightning wheel stops from Ford to keep the rims from getting gouged. Is this correct?

One other question I have is the 14mm lug nuts. Is this only available through the dealer or is 14mm and 1/2" the same??

Thanks again

Old 08-25-2003, 06:28 AM
I too have some Lightning rims and found that the 12mm vrs 14mm is according to what year your truck is. So you will need the lug sizr that is currently on your truck regardless what year rims you have.
My rims are the 2000 models and require the FLAT lugs.... not the conicals. I think all the Lightning rims use the flats also. Finding the flats in chrome were a problem and wer pretty expensive... around 50 bucks for the set.

Last edited by DonnyD; 08-25-2003 at 06:31 AM.

Quick Reply: HELP HELP! A WHEEL Question