Brakes all around...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes all around...

Hey guys (and gals I suppose) - I'm Howard, new guy to the board here but driver of an older F-Series. 1994 F-150 XL, 300 cid I-6, 5-spd. OD, 2WD, SWB. Bought new in May '95, currently has just under 89K miles on it.

It's time for me to swap rotors (again, this'll be the 3rd set), pads and shoes. Stock shoes out back!!!

Anyway, wondering what the best way to go would be. This isn't a performance truck, most of the miles are highway miles in colder weather, summers were made for Harley's. I'm also the prototypic starving graduate student, so high-priced replacement aftermarket stuff is probably out. I was just gonna pick up a set of each from the local stealership down here, but if an acceptable replacement exists somewhere else (I read a post about NAPA rotors somewhere here), then I'm just as happy to use them as OEM stuff.

Any parts or pieces I'll need in addition to just the obvious replacement parts? Fittings, special tools, pills, potions, etc.? Nothing like getting halfway into a repair then having to walk to the auto parts store because you've forgotten something. BT, DT, BTTS.

In the meantime I'll be prostrate, in front of you, the mighty oracle, awaiting your reply.

Thanks in advance.

-Howard
Anderson, SC

Old 08-01-2003, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently replaced my rotors and pads (titanium) with Bendix. So far so good. The rotors that were on the truck were the originals and they were so warped and grooved that I could really feel it in the pedal, even on very slow stops. They were beyond machining. Now, the pedal is perfectly smooth plus everything is nice and quiet.

As far as the drums go...I don't think it matters. Just replace them if they need it. I'm not even sure if there is such a thing as a drum brake upgrade.

Good luck with it!

Quick Reply: Brakes all around...