Rear Axle Seal Leak Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear Axle Seal Leak Repair

In this video I go over an all too common repair that needs to be made on these truck especially ones used in construction environment. Hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great video. Very descriptive and helpful for the less experienced. Thanks for sharing!

Unrelated question: Do you ever rebuild the PTU on the Taurus, Flex, and 2011+ Explorer? I know those guys would love to see a video showing how it can be done, or when it's simply too late. My understanding is that when there's a failure other than just a seal, Ford just replaces them. Also would be helpful showing how to service them since they have no drain plug. I have a 2011 Taurus that's out of factory warranty (but it does have a non-Ford extended warranty) and I know mine is toast, but I can't get it to exhibit any symptoms. Typical gear oil turning to grease. I extracted about 3oz of what used to be gear oil, removed and cleaned the breather that was almost 100% clogged with grease, and it took 18 oz to fill on a level surface. Since that's the capacity, I know it's basically been running dry.

But since I have no leaks, fluid vomiting from the breather, or noises, I know there's no point in taking it to the dealer. I haven't tackled it myself in hopes that it does fail and can be replaced while under the dealer warranty. If I had to replace it myself, I'd try to upgrade to the newer liquid-cooled ones on the 2013+ Police Interceptors.

Sorry for the off-topic post. Thanks again for sharing.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Not sure if you've done it or not but a video of a plug change on 3v engines would be helpful for those who still have them.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Not sure if you've done it or not but a video of a plug change on 3v engines would be helpful for those who still have them.
Oh I did make 2 videos they are on the boards.

Originally Posted by EsJayEs
Great video. Very descriptive and helpful for the less experienced. Thanks for sharing!

Unrelated question: Do you ever rebuild the PTU on the Taurus, Flex, and 2011+ Explorer? I know those guys would love to see a video showing how it can be done, or when it's simply too late. My understanding is that when there's a failure other than just a seal, Ford just replaces them. Also would be helpful showing how to service them since they have no drain plug. I have a 2011 Taurus that's out of factory warranty (but it does have a non-Ford extended warranty) and I know mine is toast, but I can't get it to exhibit any symptoms. Typical gear oil turning to grease. I extracted about 3oz of what used to be gear oil, removed and cleaned the breather that was almost 100% clogged with grease, and it took 18 oz to fill on a level surface. Since that's the capacity, I know it's basically been running dry.

But since I have no leaks, fluid vomiting from the breather, or noises, I know there's no point in taking it to the dealer. I haven't tackled it myself in hopes that it does fail and can be replaced while under the dealer warranty. If I had to replace it myself, I'd try to upgrade to the newer liquid-cooled ones on the 2013+ Police Interceptors.

Sorry for the off-topic post. Thanks again for sharing.
I have done everything to those ptu's except open them up as there are no serviceable parts from Ford so no reason to go into them. I wonder if there is an aftermarket solution. We really don't have any issue with them beside leaks of course.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just watched your video and it really helps. I got under my truck the other day and noticed that similar leak pattern on the back of my driver rear rotor. The reason I got under and noticed it in the first place was because after the truck has been sitting awhile and I start it up, there's a squeaking noise coming from the brakes that goes away after the first couple brakes. Would the noise be coming from the leaked fluid on the rotors/pads? And it just burns off after a couple brakes?

Old 08-26-2014, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by greentitan05
Just watched your video and it really helps. I got under my truck the other day and noticed that similar leak pattern on the back of my driver rear rotor. The reason I got under and noticed it in the first place was because after the truck has been sitting awhile and I start it up, there's a squeaking noise coming from the brakes that goes away after the first couple brakes. Would the noise be coming from the leaked fluid on the rotors/pads? And it just burns off after a couple brakes?
Any kind of contamination of the pads can make them noisey they get saturated pretty bad sometimes.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Seal Leak Repair