Need Recommendations on Scan Tools

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Recommendations on Scan Tools

I am researching Scan Tools/Software to purchase. I did a search and found a lot of information on Auto X-Ray, Auterra Palm Software, AutoTap, KaleEquipment, OBDScan (by Harrison R&D), OBD-2.com, Autocheckup.com, etc.

I have 2 laptops and Palm which I could run the software on, or I could buy a Scan unit itself. I am not into extensive system modifications but would like to see all the enhanced codes and real time readings.

I'm interested in the most economical approach, while receiveing the best data and operational system possible.

You guys that are using these things, which MFR's. unit or software do you believe works well? Are there any advantages in a separate unit versus downloading software for a laptop or Palm? Advantages of one over the other?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 11-22-2002, 11:49 PM
Ordered an auterra for the Palm but haven't tried it yet. Here is a good site regarding a review and use of this unit.

http://batauto.com//articles/auterra...r_Review.shtml

Old 11-23-2002, 11:19 AM
I purchased the one from www.obd-2.com It was the most reasonable price with the most features - I used to be an engineer at ford.

You should check out the group buys on www.contour.org They usually have a deal going on.

Old 11-25-2002, 03:48 PM
Smile

ScrewBigRed-

Let me know how the Palm works for you. I read the review and it sounds impressive. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 11-27-2002, 08:27 PM
I have the one from www.obd-2.com. For the money it is really good. I am still trying to learn how house it, but so far I am inpressed.

Old 11-28-2002, 11:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a Actron Scanner. I went overboard and got the does all makes version, but you can get a Ford specific scanner for cheaper.

I then got the AutoTap software for my laptop, for checking what my mods were doing, so in hind sight I should not have spent the money on the Actron.

Long story short...figure out what you are going to be doing with it, and see what fits.
If you only want to scan for ODB II codes, then go with that type , if you want to know what the entire engine is doing, code or not, look at the Auto X-Ray or AutoTap software ( kind of need a laptop for this, so it might price it out of range if you don't have a laptop already ).

Also if you are looking at a SuperChip, you might want to pop the extra $ 100.00 and get the microtunner, then you get both the chip and the scanner, for less then the plug in chip, and hand held scanner....Don't know if you have a chip or are even thinking about it, just trying to save you from making my mistake, and owning a pile of ODB II scanners, you can only use 1 at a time, and I don't have a tool loaner program out of my garage <g>

Old 11-30-2002, 04:49 PM
i have the snap on mt2500. works great

Old 12-01-2002, 12:47 PM
I've been looking for a good scanner. Seriously been considering the Auto X-ray scan tool. I know a few of you have suggested other makes, brands, what about the costs? I can buy the Auto X-ray for under $300. How about the $$ on the mac tool , Actron, Auto top, and Snap On scan tools. If I can stay under $300 or so, it will sav me in the long run. I have already spend about $300 or so in the last year by having a couple garages read the computer. If I can pull codes, and run a few diagnostics, and see how it runs while driving would benefit me the most. Thanks for the suggestions. This is a great site.

Old 12-02-2002, 02:39 AM
f250ld

The Auto x-ray's on very good units. You can get top end with them for around the 300-450 mark. The Snap-ON, Mac, or any OTC is going to cost way more than the 300 range, in fact add another 0 (zero) to that. If you wnat something more than to pull codes stay away from the cheap Actron unit, Kal's cheap unit, and a few others. The actual Actron Scan Tool is OK and the two upperend Kal units are OK as well. Auto-tap, obd-ii, and the Palm software require that you already own a laptop or a palm. If not that is another big cost.

Check e-bay often and if you want to buy new from a store type place check out www.ontool.com.

Also, if you will email me at thomaswright5714@hotmail.com, I will send you a excel spreadsheet I have made listing tons of scanners I researched about 2 months ago. I sent it to TRay he liked it.

Old 12-02-2002, 03:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by f250ld
I've been looking for a good scanner. Seriously been considering the Auto X-ray scan tool. I know a few of you have suggested other makes, brands, what about the costs? I can buy the Auto X-ray for under $300. How about the $$ on the mac tool , Actron, Auto top, and Snap On scan tools. If I can stay under $300 or so, it will sav me in the long run. I have already spend about $300 or so in the last year by having a couple garages read the computer. If I can pull codes, and run a few diagnostics, and see how it runs while driving would benefit me the most. Thanks for the suggestions. This is a great site.
Sounds like you just want generic and Ford specific code.
Any of the code readers will do that.
Matter of fact, if you don't already have a SuperChip, and are thinking about it, get the MicroTuner so you get the chip functions, and for ~100.00 more you get the code scanner.

If you want to do other things beyond read and clear codes, then I would put my money on AutoTap software, but it does require the us of a laptop computer. I bought it b/c a few of the L owners suggested it, and I already have the laptop.
Else I think ChiDiver has the Auto X Ray, and he likes it.
I don't know what Auto X Ray offers, but the AutoTap software allows you to actually take a log of the readings you want, so you can look at it later. The others might do that as well, I did not look into them, after the ref I got on the AutoTap.

Good luck

Old 12-04-2002, 03:06 PM
Talking Auterra

Tray,
Tried the Auterra for the first time today. I have to say that this is a great scanner. Loading the software onto the Palm is very easy. Hooked it up to a Denali, Intrepid, Explorer and a SuperCrew today. The Denali is the only one that had a stored code. Otherwise gives you real time data, graphs and way too many things to mention here. You may want to download the Operating Manual. This will give you a pretty good idea what this thing can do.

http://www.auterraweb.com/downloads.html

Old 12-04-2002, 03:52 PM
ScrewBig Red... thanks for the feedback. I have not decided which way to go yet. The Auterra system sounds good. I have also looked alot at the AutoTap. I've been reading T. Wright's (KYFordFreak) spreadsheet he created. Good stuff and saves alot of time.

I'll probably decide this weekend which way to go.

Glad to hear you like the Auterra.

Thanks...

Old 12-08-2002, 04:20 PM
Do any of these softwares give you Air/Fuel Ratio readouts? That would be Awesome!

Old 12-08-2002, 05:13 PM
Auterra

ScrewBigRed,

I went ahead and order the Auterra Friday night since you get the enhanced codes with it I have a Palm. I'm hoping to have it on Tuesday at the latest. Can you tell me if the software on thier website is the same as the software that is sent with the Tool? I'm like to get it installed so I can get fimilar with with.

TIA - Dae

Old 12-08-2002, 06:59 PM
f150intally- Here is the link to AutoTap's Enhanced Ford codes. Not sure if this is what you're looking for.

I ordered the AutoTap software for my Laptop today.

http://www.autotap.com/enhanced_parameters_ford.asp

Quick Reply: Need Recommendations on Scan Tools