Rough Idle and gas smell HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough Idle and gas smell HELP

I noticed on the way home in overdrive a shaking . Well came to a stop and a idles is down to bout 400 to 500 rpms but seems to have power. Also smell real strong gas for a min. Is this stuck injector or a coil pack probaly? Isnt there a warranty on injectors?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Cant answer the warranty question for sure, but if I had to guess I would think it would be covered. If you have rough idle and smell fuel it sounds like a fire issue to me (coil pack). Your thought of an injector sound plausible too. Has it thrown a CEL yet (if will def do that if its a coil pack and tell you the cylinder)?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:17 PM
you've got warranty up to 10yrs/100k miles on an 05 with a 5.4. I had that exact thing happen to me but I also had raw gas coming from the exhaust. Do a search for the TSB# and tell your dealer about it. My dealer tried to me and put me into a new motor! The look on their face when I told them the TSB was priceless.

PS. Don't forget to flash to stock

Last edited by Bluejay; 04-30-2010 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Do not circumvent the language filter
Old 04-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by RemyRed
you've got warranty up to 10yrs/100k miles on an 05 with a 5.4. I had that exact thing happen to me but I also had raw gas coming from the exhaust. Do a search for the TSB# and tell your dealer about it. My dealer tried to me and put me into a new motor! The look on their face when I told them the TSB was priceless.

PS. Don't forget to flash to stock
Not trying interrupt the thread, but I did not know the 05's (or any other f150's) had 10yr/100k warranty, I only heard that on the Power Strokes.

Last edited by Bluejay; 04-30-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: language in quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 04-28-2010, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by mdhawkin
Not trying interrupt the thread, but I did not know the 05's (or any other f150's) had 10yr/100k warranty, I only heard that on the Power Strokes.
Fuel injectors only (and any collateral damage, trust me I know) on that extended coverage for the 2005 5.4 3v engines.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:30 PM
I dont smell much gas any more but takes a min for it too crank. Im gonna let my local mechanic look at it tomm. I was just trying to figure out which it could be. I have no CEL yet.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:34 PM

When my engine hydrolocked I got no CEL. If its injectors you need a Ford dealer for the warranty coverage, not a local mechanic.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 PM
right im gonna let him look at it fisrt just to see whats wrong

Old 04-28-2010, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by HiVoltage14.4
right im gonna let him look at it fisrt just to see whats wrong
OK, good idea.

When mine started running bad I was just pulling into work. I knew exactly what was happening. Worked all day and then went to leave work to go home. There are about a thousand people leaving my work all at the same time, so the truck was really running bad and I was struggling to keep it idling. Anyway got on the freeway and it really bogged down so I pulled over and shut it off. Called my dealer and told him the DTC code I pulled off my edge and told him I had already called a flatbed to take my truck there.

Next morning he went to pull my truck in the bay, started it and snapped a rod. One injector stuck open and flooded a cylinder. Hydrolocked and broke a rod. I'm sure the rod was already weak from what I did driving it.

Got a new short block and an injector with the warranty. I paid for the other 7 injectors to be replaced.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 AM
whats weird is it seems to have normal power I dont get it.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Stealth
OK, good idea.

When mine started running bad I was just pulling into work. I knew exactly what was happening. Worked all day and then went to leave work to go home. There are about a thousand people leaving my work all at the same time, so the truck was really running bad and I was struggling to keep it idling. Anyway got on the freeway and it really bogged down so I pulled over and shut it off. Called my dealer and told him the DTC code I pulled off my edge and told him I had already called a flatbed to take my truck there.

Next morning he went to pull my truck in the bay, started it and snapped a rod. One injector stuck open and flooded a cylinder. Hydrolocked and broke a rod. I'm sure the rod was already weak from what I did driving it.

Got a new short block and an injector with the warranty. I paid for the other 7 injectors to be replaced.
Ouch!!! Sounds like your on the right track, and with that being said be careful how much your drive it.

Funny story about hydro lock, my buddy has an old toyota thats a play truck, we took it out one night playing and went into a hole that was way too deep. Needless to say it sucked water through the airbox into the motor and cut off. We knew what happend and pulled it home; pulled the spark plugs out to turn it over and blow the water out, then change the oil (we did not care too much about it). One of my buddies that had one too many beers was staring at it with a great look of curiosity b/f we turned it over; we told him to move and he said go ahead. As soon as it turned over it sprayed him in the face and hit about 25 feet in the air on the branches of a near by tree. We laughed, quit working on it and called it a night.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:07 AM

I'd still have it looked at though. I do recall hard starts every once and a while with the old injectors.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:34 PM
well got my truck back today my mechanic said it was a coil pack on (if you looking at engine 3rd one up on left) Im glad it wasnt an injector. He said I need to change plugs ASAP and coil boots. He said most of the time when one goes the others will go soon is that true? Also charged me $145 for everything is that high?

Old 04-29-2010, 07:12 PM

Good to hear. Also good to hear it wasn't an injector, but it's no solace to know you have 8 ticking time bombs in there. :o

Quick Reply: Rough Idle and gas smell HELP