Change of oil type?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change of oil type?

So I have always used MC 5w20 for my 5.4l Triton and I remember they used to tell you once you reached a certain mileage you should change to a thicker oil. Is this still a common practice or is it no longer needed? If it is still common, at what mileage and to what oil should the change occur? I am at 86k on my truck now.

I have also been a very bad owner and went over my change mileage and for the first time ever, my truck shutoff on me. It seems some how it was down 1 1/2 cans of oil. I have never notice the truck using oil like this before and haven't noticed any oil leaks.

Thanks,
Richard

Old 01-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do not change change oil weights especially if you have the 3v engine and it looks like you might. I would run Auto RX though it change the PVC with a Motorcraft one and I would use Motorcraft semi synthetic and a Motorcraft or better filter. 5W-20 only!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Yes it is the 3v engine, just got done with the hole plug experience. I us the MC oil and filters all the time. I will check out the Auto RX and also check on the PVC. Thanks

Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey, better make that the PCV Valve. Just sayin

AutoRX

Old 01-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Where is the PCV on that motor? I need to change mine as well and can't seem to find it..

Pictures are good..

Old 01-28-2011, 01:06 PM
Same difference!! Thought it was PCV but was just making a quick response and didn't think alot about it. Just ordered 3 bottles of Auto RX.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, Jethat must be plumbing a bathroom or something lol. At least you new what he meant.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea, Jethat must be plumbing a bathroom or something lol. At least you new what he meant.
dyslexia..

Old 01-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Even if changing weights was a good practice or a consideration...not at 86k. I don't think your truck shut off on you because it knew you were 1.5 quarts low either.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Im not telling you to change weights or not, but all ive used is mc 5w 20 and all seems good over 300K later....

Old 01-29-2011, 08:23 AM
No viscosity change necessary in 99.5 cases. Possible exception being extremely high ambient temps and/or extremely hard, continuous duty or supercharging (higher oil temps and fuel dilution). If the engine gets worn enough to need a heavier oil, you likely have other problems and the engine isn't long for the world. Every reasonably well cared for Modular I've seen or heard of had great looking low ends even at very high mileages.

Thing is, the most common upgrade, 5W30, commonly shears down to a 20 grade by the time you're done with it (with the exception of the higher priced oils which do it less commonly) so you end up in the 20 grade anyway. Most 5W20s, including MC are VERY shear stable, so unless they are diluted with fuel, they don't lose much viscosity over the OCI.

The need for a higher vis oil is usually dictated by oil temp. I've been watching mine for 2.5 years now and I have to say, my 5.4L runs pretty cool so I can see why Ford seems pretty confident about the 5W20 viscosity recommendation. I don't live in a hot climate, so I cannot speak to that aspect, but even on the rare 100 degree days we have here in Ohio, I don't see outrageous oil temps. 219 F is the highest I've seen and that's just barely over the 100C oil viscosity rating temp. If I was seeing regular 250F temps, I'd be temped to bump up a grade.

Given that other markets spec 5W30 or 10W30 in VCT engines (Australia, mainly) plus that recent TSB about running 10W40 to get rid of phaser noise in '09s, it seems clear you "can" run a higher viscosity without harming the engine.... but in most cases THERE IS NO ADVANTAGE IN DOING SO. It'll cost a fractional loss of MPG and possibly change the operating parameters of the VCT (depending on how far off parameter you go) and make cold starts harder.

The part of tis that puzzles me is that I can find no data or information on what actually happens to the VCT with the higher vis oil. I don't see anything in the VCT programming based on oil pressure, only oil temp. The VCT is inop at freezing temps and advance is limited until the engine oil temp reaches about 100F.

I'm gearing up to install a 12cSt 10W30 oil in my 5.4L and datalog oil pressure, VCT operation, oil temp etc. and see how much difference it makes vs 5W20. I've been looking for a good Mixed Fleet oil that I can use in everything here on the farm (with the exception of my big tillage tractor), so I'll take a slight hit in fuel economy on the F150 to be able to run just one good mixed fleet oil, but I don't want to cause myself any mechanical problems or glitch the system. We shall see. I have an open mind and will go the way the data dictates.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Is this still a common practice or is it no longer needed?
No longer needed. Almost all of the modern engines now use a low tension ring pack and using a heavier oil buys you nothing except maybe more oil usage. Check the PCV system and replace the unit with a Motorcraft only part.

The part of this that puzzles me is that I can find no data or information on what actually happens to the VCT with the higher vis oil.
At temp, you'll see the VCT system activate earlier than design perameters. It won't hurt anything though. I'd avoid the Xw-40 oils at all costs. The seals at the phasers are a known problem child and the heavier oil makes for more pressure at these seals. Ford did not do themselves any favors with this recommendation.
I've been looking for a good Mixed Fleet oil
If you have a Chevron dealer around, there's yer oil. Delo 400 is available in a 5w-30 that will work in all of your equipment and you won't be looking for a different oil for winter cold startup either. Depending on the CCS rating, I'd avoid the 10w-30 oils in your Triton. You MIGHT see as much as a 2% drop in fuel mileage in your truck but I doubt it.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
At temp, you'll see the VCT system activate earlier than design perameters. It won't hurt anything though. I'd avoid the Xw-40 oils at all costs. The seals at the phasers are a known problem child and the heavier oil makes for more pressure at these seals. Ford did not do themselves any favors with this recommendation.

If you have a Chevron dealer around, there's yer oil. Delo 400 is available in a 5w-30 that will work in all of your equipment and you won't be looking for a different oil for winter cold startup either. Depending on the CCS rating, I'd avoid the 10w-30 oils in your Triton. You MIGHT see as much as a 2% drop in fuel mileage in your truck but I doubt it.
I know that Chevron oil. Too expensive and not easy to get 'round here. I'm going to experiment with the Rotella T5, which has a nice 6000cP @ -25, which is better that the other oils in it's class (semi-syn). Have been seriously tempted by the MC 10W30 diesel oil but I can't get any CCV specs for it. Another possible is Amalie is 10W30 diesel, which is a 5600 cP oil... I just hate to have to mail order oil, though. It's priced about the same as the Rotella... but you gotta add in shipping costs.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
For the Motorcraft 10w-30 Super Duty Diesel Motor Oil, the cold crank on it is 6200@-30F. VI is 147, Pour point is -47F, flash is 441F. I also have it in C if you prefer. TBN is 8.4 so over basing should not be an issue on yer diesels. While I haven't looked at the data sheets, have you looked at any of the Traveller oils from Tractor Supply? It's a pretty healthy oil as I remember from Warren. I'd rather see that in yer engines than Amalie. Amalie still uses a lot of polymers and sludge on the farm equipment could be an issue.

I looked for the specs for Traveller oils and here's the data sheets at their website. Looks decent enough to me but I have no clue if Tractor Supply is in yer area.
http://www.wd-wpp.com/tsc/syntheticmotoroils.html

Last edited by Labnerd; 01-29-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Turns out I did have that MC 10W30 Super Duty Diesel CCV spec, thanks. It looked so familiar when I read your post that I opened my file and saw it was another oil I didn't get the CCV spec for but that oil turns out to be not readily available, so it's outta the running.

The CCV is important, and I'd like to do better than most 10W30s especially in the case of the 5.4L, but I am also factoring in operating cycles and cost (it is a business ofter all). As far as the F150 goes, it lives in a warm garage and when it runs, it gets a minimum of about 20 miles of driving, so it won't have too many cost start cycles to worry about. I track MPG with every tank so I'll spot any loss, if there is one.

The Traveller looks interesting (how interesting would depend on price) but it's only CF rated so isn't a good choice for the diesels. Tractor Supply all over here, though.

It's really down to two no, the Rotella T5 and the MC 10W30. Not a huge difference between them, IMO, though I tend to be partial to Rotella (I try not to be too brand centric but ...). I loaded up on T5 for $11.50/gal at a sale but the everyday price at the Ford dealer for the MC is a little cheaper than the everyday price for Rotella T5. I'll use the Rotella for the experiment ( I have some "backup 5W20 in case I note "issues") and for the tractors and equipment. When I need to get more oil, I'll go with the brand that I can get the best price on when I shop.

Quick Reply: Change of oil type?