Want to increase your gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2001, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Want to increase your gas mileage?

1. Increase your octane and mileage by placing mothballs into your gas tank before fueling your vehicle. Mothballs must contain naphthalene and use at the rate of 5 mothballs per gallon of gas. Visit
http://georgenitta.com/mothballs/mothballs.htm
for instructions.

2. Use Autolite racing plugs. Can't find them? Make your own. Visit:
http://georgenitta.com/autotipssparkplugs.htm

Old 05-10-2001, 01:22 AM
What the heck. I don't think I will be putting moth ***** in my tank. Sorry gas may be high but not as much as an engine. If I want to boost the octance I will get some 104+ or some Outlaw octance booster. I may be wrong but I don't think moth ***** in the gas tank is a good idea. Niether is the plug thing. If you can't find Autolite racing plugs at the first store you check then I would check somewhere else or get another brand of high performance plug. Not trying to down anybody or anything, just IMO there are better ways to go about both.

Old 05-10-2001, 01:41 AM
LOL.COM

------------------
97 F150 Longbed V8 4.6
K&N air filter
K&N FIPK tech MOD & removed elbow silencer
Tires: Yokohama 265/75/16 Geolander AT+
Hyper white xenon bulbs
Bedliner and raven shell
6 disc cd changer
Oil & filter used

Gasoline used

My Truck

Old 05-10-2001, 01:46 AM
The trick would have worked 20 years ago when moth ***** were still made of napthalene and most cars were not fuel injected. You will seriously screw up your engine if you do this now. Not trying to flame anyone but I have seen the damage this will do. My buddy blew the manifold off his car using this same trick.

------------------
'96 F-150 302
Hedman Hedders, Catco Cat., Gibson Super Truck, K&N F.I.P.K.

Old 05-10-2001, 08:01 AM
and if you really want to be happy

1) take any pieces of paper with pictures of dead presidents on them out of you wallet and mail them to me

2) always drive in the far right lane of the highway making it easier to exit when you want to (really this has nothing to do with me wanting the left lane all to myself)

i just figured that anyone who might start pouring moth ***** in their gas tank after reading this might also mail me all the green stuff in their wallets.

Old 05-10-2001, 09:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

It might work, but I just can't imagine standing there poking 190 mothballs down my truck's gas tank one at a time. Think I'll just pump 93 if I need it.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2001 4x4 F350 SD XLT CrewCab LWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, HD Suspension Pkg, 3.73LS, TT mirrors, 6-disc CD changer, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, GoRhino nerf bars.
NoMo's site

Old 05-10-2001, 09:38 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another thing... is napthalene soluble in gasoline? I'm not positive, but I don't think so. If not, you'd slowly but surely decrease your tank volume.

And, like they said before, it would be helpful if moth ***** were still made out of napthalene... those are REAL hard to find nowadays.

-Joe-

Old 05-10-2001, 11:36 AM
BD
Talking

Maybe that's the secrect - smaller gas tank - less to fill-up right?!!

Old 05-10-2001, 03:09 PM
Thumbs down

Most mothballs are no longer made of napthalene and Higher octane does not equal better gas mileage.

Old 05-10-2001, 08:15 PM
MOTHBALLS WITH NAPHTHELENE INCREASES OCTANE IN GASOLINE FROM THE 89 AT THE PUMP TO ABOUT 92 OCTANE. THE MOTHBALLS DISSOLVE IMMEDIATELY IN THE GAS TANK. THEY WON'T BE ROLLING AROUND IN YOUR TANK IF THATS WHAT YOU'RE THINKING. I AM OF THE OPINION THAT GASOLINE WITH HIGHER OCTANE NOT ONLY INCREASES POWER AND MPG BUT THE GASOLINE BURNS CLEANER. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME, THOSE OF YOU WHO USE REGULAR IN YOUR TANK STICK YOUR FINGER INTO YOUR TAILPIPE. IF IT COMES OUT CLEAN (WHICH I DOUBT) THEN YOUR OK. IF IT COMES OUT BLACK. THIS PROVES THAT YOUR GASOLINE IS NOT BURNING CLEAN. IF YOU HAVE CARBON IN YOUR TAILPIPE, THINK OF WHAT WAS LEFT IN YOUR ENGINE. IT ONLY MAKES SENSE.
THEREFORE I RECOMMEND THAT YOU USE THE BEST GASOLINE WITH THE HIGHEST OCTANE, BOOST THE OCTANE TO AT LEAST 92. IF YOU ARE SCARED TO USE MOTHBALLS, THEN BUY AN OCTANE BOOSTER FROM WALL MART AND ADD IT TO EACH TANK OF GAS. YOU SPEND A LITTLE NOW TO SAVE A LOT LATER.
TO THOSE OF YOU WHO SAY "I HAVE TO PUT 100 MOTHBALLS INTO THAT TINY HOLE IN THE FILL TUBE EVERY TIME I FILL UP". THEN YOU ARE WAITING TO LONG TO FILL UP! YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE LESS THAN 1/4 TANK OF GAS IN YOUR TRUCK. ANY LESS THAN THAT AND YOU ARE ASKING TO WEAR OUT YOUR ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP.

Old 05-10-2001, 08:24 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by deep6blue:
Hey arunob, where in Mililani do you live? My brother lives in Mililani. He's just east off the H2 exit in the housing area.

I love that place, we were just there visiting in Feb. I think I'd move back except there aren't as many job opportunities.

</font>

I LIVE IN MILILANI MAUKA. WE ARE JUST OFF H2 TOWARD THE MOUNTAINS. I AM A RETIRED ARMY MASTER SERGEANT NOW WORKING FOR THE USPS AS A LETTER CARRIER.
AND BY THE WAY, I DON'T EAT PINEAPPLES.

Old 05-11-2001, 12:15 AM
i think he ate to much pineapple

Old 05-11-2001, 12:54 AM
Hey arunob, where in Mililani do you live? My brother lives in Mililani. He's just east off the H2 exit in the housing area.

I love that place, we were just there visiting in Feb. I think I'd move back except there aren't as many job opportunities.

------------------
2001 F150 XLT Supercab Flareside "Sport"
Black
Smittybilt step bars

Old 05-11-2001, 09:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE LESS THAN 1/4 TANK OF GAS IN YOUR TRUCK. ANY LESS THAN THAT AND YOU ARE ASKING TO WEAR OUT YOUR ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP. [/B]</font>
ummm... dare I ask how? Let's dispel that myth right here and now.

I used to build the gas tanks for our trucks (Dearborn Engine and Fuel Tank Plant, Line #3 PIA.. used to install the pumps, OBD-II sensors, rollover valves, crash shields, feed panels, load reservoirs and filler necks and vent tubes... I can even tel you when it was built and on what shift based on the date code on the side of the tank) believe me, there is no amount of gasoline (or lack thereof) that will directly cause the pump to fail on our trucks. It is 100% safe to run the truck right down until it's sucking fumes without any risk of hurting anything (except maybe your pride when you have to call roadside assistance and tell them you ran out of gas).

The only possible problem you may encounter when letting your tank sit near empty is condensation forming inside the tank. This is quite common in the spring and fall when it's humid, but the temps drop below the dew-point at night. Condensation forms inside the fuel tank and can get into the fuel system. A slight amount of moisture buildup will do no harm, as most fuel injected engines can tolerate it. That's why it's better to leave the tank full if leaving for an extended period (with the fuel stabilized, of course, to prevent gum and varnish)... doing so minimizes the ability for moisture to accumulate in the gas.

Sorry for the length.

-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)

'00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Holandia Sunroof($1000), built 11/99 picked up 10/00!Clear Corners($36), Manik Stainless Steel 1-piece brush guard($700), Custom CB wiring, Uniden PC76-XLW CB radio($100) with K-40 Magna-Mount antenna (for now [$40]), 1 set of 165 watt KC Daylighters (for now... more on the way... $140) Fog Light Switch mod(free!!!), Custom switch mounting plate and overhead console, Bully Stainless Steel Trailer hitch drawbar w/ 2" stainless steel ball($80), Gray Tek Style Soft Tonneau Cover($250), Gray Line-X Bedliner ($450).
List of planned mods: Clear tails, torsion bar tweak, bug deflector, Chrome ORP rims.
93 Probe GT teal, OE rims painted to match, bone stock drivetrain, leaky exhaust.

Old 05-11-2001, 09:21 PM
Cool

edit

[This message has been edited by max mitchell (edited 05-13-2001).]

Quick Reply: Want to increase your gas mileage?