Problem with K&N FIPK intake tube -- help needed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Problem with K&N FIPK intake tube -- help needed...

Hi,

Last month I installed a K&N FIPK on my 2000 F150 (4x4, 5.4L engine). The unit worked great -- definite improvement in throttle response and overall drivability. However, two days ago I noticed a series degradation in performance. Upon checking the engine, I noticed that the K&N intake tube had a serious crimp in it. Given this there was an opening between the silocone connector and the intake tube that (I assume) is causing my problem. This evening I took the unit apart and attempted to fix the crimp, however, I was unable to. So, for now, I have reattached everything and used duck tape to seal off the opening between the silicone connector and the intake tube. I have also wrote K&N with the hopes of getting a replacement.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is there an easy way to fix it that I have not thought about?

I have included a picture of the crimped tube below (crimp is on right hand side).

Thanks in advance for any replies....

Old 04-24-2001, 11:17 PM
I never heard of that happening before. You might want to try using a heat gun and try pushing the dent out. Or getting a longer silicone connector and clamping behind the dent. Good luck on the fix.

------------------
1999 4x4 F250 LightDuty XLT SuperCab 5.4L, 3.73, 4R100 trans.
Flowmaster exhaust, K&N FIPK, Superchip, Rancho RSX shocks, Hellwig rear swaybar, Stull billet grille, PIAA Air Dam with 2-PIAA Pro80XT's (85W Superwhites), 4-KC Daylighters (150W), Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift, 33/12.5/17 ProComp Mud Terrains on 17x8 American Racing Atlas Rims. Kenwood 7007 CD, Alpine 3342 Signal Processor, Alpine MRV-F353 5Ch. Amp, Pioneer TS-A6865 3-way speakers, MTX Thunderforms. CompuStar alarm/autostart.

Old 04-25-2001, 09:28 AM
Talking

Give K&N a call and tell them of your problem. They will most likely send you a new tube, they may even want the old one back to find out what happened.

On my last truck I had a K&N system with the rubber gaskets not silicone. They would keep comming of the engine. I called K&N and they overnighted the silicone gaskets to me free of charge.

Regards,

Sean

Old 04-25-2001, 01:23 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the ideas !!!

I ended up calling K&N directly and, as Sigalph indicated, they responsed immediately. They are shipping another intake tube out to me via UPS and I just to return the damaged one -- no questions asked. Awesome Customer Service!!! Makes me glad I bought this system for this fact alone

Thanks again Sigalph and Jupiterak!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT Supercab, 5.4L, 4x4, 3.55 gears
  • Premium AM/FM Radio with CD
  • Polk DX7 Speakers (front), EX7 (rear)
  • Smittybuilt sure step bars
  • Ford (Duraliner) Bedliner
  • Class III Tow Package
  • Superchip
  • Ravin Z-55 SI/SO Exhaust
  • K&N Gen II FIPK
  • Eaglite Xenon 100/80w headlight bulbs
  • GE 9005 Halogen bulbs (fogs)

Old 04-25-2001, 03:47 PM
Exclamation

cyclone: Any idea as to what caused the problem? Just got my K&N FIPK, waiting for the time to install it . . . sure is nice to know that they stand behind their product, but, if its a design or manufacturing flaw I could get it fixed before I install it.

------------------
Gots: 2000 F-150, 4x4, SCab, XLT, Island Blue, Styleside, 157” Wheelbase, 5.4L EFI, 4-Speed Auto O/D, Class III Towing Package; AM/FM/CD; Dark Graphite 40/60 Cloth Seats (F/R); Rear Slider; 4 Wheel ABS; “K&N” FIPK; “Ex-Tang” Snapless Tonneau; Ford “Duraliner” Bedliner; “CDA” Paint Saver Pad; “Lund Runners” Truck Steps; “Husky” Splashguards; “Saddleman”Hood Protector; “WeatherTech” WeatherFlectors; 4th Brake Light (again!); “Pilot” Navigator 55 Watt Backup Lights (pair, under hitch); “Weather Tech” Floor Mats (retired for the summer);

Wants: “Gibson” Dual Sport Truck Cat-Back Exhaust System; “Exotic Wood” Steering Wheel & Dash Kit; “RoadMaster” Active Suspension; Lighted “Blue Oval” Logos – grill and tailgate; Remote Starter; Pilot Driving Lights; “Lund” Backdraft Tailgate Spoiler; …

Old 04-25-2001, 05:13 PM
Swampview,

If I had to guess it would be that I overtightened the hose clamp. The area where the crimp was was also where the screw on the clamp was located. I did not think it was too tight (since it still had some room for more adjusting), but I suspect that is what did it.

Normally, I would be pretty bummed about this, however, the excellent service I got more than made up for this... I will gladly put up with a few problems here and there if people stand behind their products.

Regards...

Old 04-25-2001, 06:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Wow,that's good to know about K&N,never knew they were that good with customer svc. I have never had to call them about a single problem,though. Maybe this was a freak occurence,bad plastic mix? Wrong heat used on the mix? Sorry it had to happen to you!

What is their number? I need to get a replacement filter for mine. It got disfigured in a horrible steam cleaning accident
Not sure if it's just cosmetic damage,but I'd like to know,,,,,98

[This message has been edited by 98SCREAMER (edited 04-25-2001).]

Old 04-25-2001, 07:26 PM
Cool

I've had K&N FIPK's on a 91 Toyota MR2 Turbo, a 91 300Z Turbo, my 95 Corvette had an SLP Tripple Cone K&N system on it and I have one on my 98 NASCAR Edition F150. I never had the first problem with any of them. If K&N gives you an answer as to what caused the malfunction, I'd appreciate you letting us know so we don't inadvertently make the same mistake. Never had to use K&N's Customer Svc but I'm glad to know they stand behind their products if I did have a problem.
Thanks for the info

------------------
98 NASCAR Special Edition
1OF600 w/ Auto & Tonnaue
K&N FIPK
Hypertech Power Prog.
JET 180 degree thermostat
Hellwig SportTech swaybar
Gibson SuperTruck CatBack
Pilot SS Resonated Tips
Shelf-It overhead storage
Hella FF300 Fog Lights in grill.

Old 04-26-2001, 01:24 AM
For anyone who is interested, the toll free number for K&N is listed below:

1-800-858-3333

Best Regards...

Quick Reply: Problem with K&N FIPK intake tube -- help needed...