Ford to trim content of next gen F-150

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 02:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford to trim content of next gen F-150

Check out this article.

Ford is strapped for cash and is finding ways to save money on the redesign of the F-150. Hopefully they dont cut too many corners!

Old 05-01-2002, 12:30 PM
uh oh, i dont like it when they begin to cut corners

Old 05-01-2002, 01:20 PM
i was concerned about this article also. but when you read what some of the content is in the expedition, for example, you become less concerned. i seriously doubt that they'll cut anything you really need. electrically lowered step bars on an expedition? can you say "over the top".

Old 05-01-2002, 01:49 PM
Cut back on the number of 4.6l V-8 oil leaks.

Old 05-02-2002, 01:14 AM
trimming content

I think a point has been missed:

They're trimmng content of what they had *planned* to put in the next F-150. That's different from saying that the next F150 will have "less content" than the current . . just less than they planned. Remember, the next generation F150 was planned during an economic hey-day. Now that the economy has slowed, people want more value, and so they're trying to think of ways to cut costs so they can lower the msrp.

Judging from what I've seen from the new Explorer and Expedition, I'm expecting the next F150 to be really handsome.

Old 05-02-2002, 02:21 AM
Well I for one never thought that it would be less than what the truck is now. If that was the case what would be the point? But the article did state that more components will be carried over from the current F-150's. Its just that if Ford is going to stay in the game they really need to deliver on this truck and give GM and Dodge something to compete with. It cant be a "me too" truck. I realize that they do have to cut some costs...but the economy is on its way back and hopefully the cutbacks wont be noticeable. Also they arent trying to lower the MSRP...they want to keep it about the same so that it isnt out of line with the competition. If they had more money...they would have been able to do so.

But I think you missed a point in the article about how the truck will look. Dont be looking at the Explorer or Expedition for comparison...look at the Tonka Concept truck that came out a few months ago. Ford is trying to differentiate the SUV's from the trucks. The Excursion is likely to be killed so it would make sense for them to have the SUV's be in their own design family and the F-series in another. Even the Ranger is rumored to be getting a similar look to the Tonka SuperDuty.

Old 05-02-2002, 02:25 AM
In my oppinion, i think ALL manufacturers ought to cut out some of the extra costly things in their vehicles. Every year a new pickup truck comes out i get more disappointed. They spend all their damn money trying to figure out how to get a failsafe cupholder so Mrs. Johnny Soccermom doesnt spill her slim fast on her new leather seats. There is so much extra crap on pickup trucks these days its not even funny. They have so much crap in them, you have to remove half the vehicle to get to anything in the dash. I owned an 85 F-150, and its was by far better than the new vehicles. It had cruise control AC and power windows/locks. No fancy cup holders, no leather seats, no useless auto dimming rearview mirror or light sensitive headlights for the occasional idiot that doesnt know to turn on the headlights when the sun goes down. Right now, trucks are losing all their features for which people buy them. Alot of people would like a decent HALF TON truck, becuase a 2500 or F-350 is just too much. So now they strap on a 600 lb trailer to their new f150 and it drags *** becuase people bitched about the ride being to stiff. Dodge lost its solid front axle for that very reason, now if i decide to get a new vehicle i have to go used or convert a new one. I know auto makers offer a stripped model, but if they would reduce their overall spending on ALL models, then the stripped models price would come down too, right?

Im done now.

Old 05-02-2002, 03:50 AM
Hey Dodge4x4, have you ever driven a solid axle or Ford I-beam on washboard gravel roads at 70mph? You should try it sometime. Solid axle feels like you're going in the ditch every few seconds... it's ridiculous. The newer F150's hug the road in comparison. Sure the rear end gets a bit loose but what do you expect from a live axle. It may be strong but some technology has to evolve from early 1900's stuff. That's why the Triton motors are overhead cam and not old pushrod junk. That's one of the main reasons the newer Fords got better gas mileage than comparable GM and Dodge (worst gas mileage) until recently as all three now offer OHC engines.

I do agree that fancy cupholders and the "my vehicle has 10 more cupholders than your vehicle" syndrome are absolute crap.

Power adjustable running boards are a complete joke. Running boards in general are stupid. Go 4x4ing once and you'll leave'em behind on a boulder. Plus they are aerodynamically inefficient.

Blah blah blah. Just give me a damn direct injection turbo diesel in the F150 chassis goddamnit!

Old 05-02-2002, 12:04 PM
I have been over washboard roads (solid axle dodge and 85 ford), with the proper suspension and shocks there is little problem at all. I kinda like the stiff ride, it just feels 'tighter' than some of the other mushy suspension. I wouldnt trade my solid front axle for IFS anyday. Im no engineer, but i know that the less stuff thats under that vehicle the less stuff there is to wear out and go bad. I crawled under the new dodges and the f150s and was terrified at the amount of moving parts and odds and ends and bars and stuff thats there. Looked like any repair could easily cost half as much as the vehicle. I do agree with your mielage thing. Dodges mpg sucks, hard core. But if you leave the dodge stock (and no one does), leave the lift out of it and leave the stock tires, you are still getting 11-13 miles city.
Also, id like to add that Dodge made the EPA's number one spot on the most fuel inefficient and most polluting vehicle (screw you California).

I think you understand what i was talking about with all the extra stuff on them. The more stuff in the new vehicles the more you worry about. i hate worrying about scratching the leather, busting off *****, etc. I like to say "hey, crawl your muddy *** in and lets go". It IS a pickup. Dont you feel like there are just some things that should be left on the cadillac and off our trucks?

Old 05-02-2002, 12:16 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Dodge4X4, I ain't gonna argue with you because you're right. Truck buyers are pampered way too much nowadays.

I do have a lariat but, it doesn't have everything.
I still find myself at a light with the window down, begging for some Grey Poupon.

Old 05-02-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by p_ferlow
That's why the Triton motors are overhead cam and not old pushrod junk. That's one of the main reasons the newer Fords got better gas mileage than comparable GM and Dodge (worst gas mileage) until recently as all three now offer OHC engines.
Umm...GM's Vortec is a pushrod motor and they consistently get better gas mileage than Ford Tritons. Many 5.3's get up to 18 mpg on the highway and 15-16 around town. My "old pushrod junk" 350 has 173,000 miles on it and it still runs like new, no piston slap, uses only half a quart every 3000 miles. I fully expect to get at least another 100,000 out of the truck.

But anyhow...this thread is going off topic and taking on a life of its own. I think there is always room for improvement in new trucks. Dodge4x4 u want a truck to put your muddy *** in? Buy a stripped down base model if you want. Change isnt always a bad thing, I think that trucks can be made comfortable and still be useful as many people use them as double duty. Right now Im pullin around a 11,000 pound fertilizer tank trailer with my Chebby, and tommorrow night Im goin out with my fiancee' and I like having a nice riding comfortable truck to do it in.

Old 05-02-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by p_ferlow
That's why the Triton motors are overhead cam and not old pushrod junk.

A...Hmmmm! I take exception with the statement about "pushrod junk." Overhead valve engines have been around since the beginning. They are reliable, use fewer parts, and are a hell of a lot easier to work on and maintain. I have nothing against overhead cam engines performance or efficiency - it's just more to go bad. Maybe I'm old school, but I kinda like those pushrods and that's what they use in NASCAR engines - so I don't think it's junk technology.

Old 05-02-2002, 01:57 PM
Yes but do they use standard steel pushrods for Nascar... I think not. Probably carbon fiber or some other light exotic.

There is less mass in overhead valve systems, therefore better gas mileage (smaller/weaker valve springs use less energy), higher rev limits. (with conventional components found in most OE engines) That's why motorcycles don't have pushrod designs... well except for Harleys but those are just glorified lawnmower engines anyhow.

The biggest weakness in IFS is all the ball joints. Small trade off for a comfortable ride.

Solid axles while "solid", no matter what the shock technology can't keep the tire on the road as good as an IFS setup simply because the moving mass is so high. That's why you don't generally see solid front axles on those off-road race pickups... most aren't 4x4 either. Same reason aluminum rims are popular - less unsprung mass than steel rims, but probably not as strong unless it's an Alcoha or something.

We can't really make genuine gas mileage comparisons anyhow of the actual engines without bolting each one up to an identical weight/configuration chassis.

The 5.3 Chebby may be the exception to the rule (or general trend).

If you want an IFS setup to feel "solid" just slap a bigger sway bar on it.

Dodge4x4 - actually I like the old 440... no gas mileage but that SOB would GO like hell.

Old 05-02-2002, 03:27 PM
HERE'S AN ANGLE TO LOOK AT. FORD IS WILLING TO CUT SOMETHINGS THEY HAD ORIGINALLY PLANNED ON PUTTING IN THE TRUCKS, EXPEDITIONS, EXPLORERS OR WHAT EVER VEHICLE. THEY PUBLICIZE THIS TO GAIN PEOPLES CURISOITY FOR THE ITEMS BEING CUT, THEN THEY OFFER THE ITEMS @ 10 TIMES THE COST, AS ADD ONS WHEN SOMEONE WANTS IT IN THEIR VEHICLE.
THEN THEY RAKE IN THE $$$$$$$$. THEY NEED TO STOP TRYING TO REDESIGN THE VEHICLE LINE EVERY THREE OR FOUR YEARS AND START CONCENTRATING ON THE QUALITY ISSUES THEY CURRNENTLY HAVE. IF THEY DON'T DO THAT THEN THE OTHERS (MANUFACTURES) WILL PASS THEM UP IN SALES. LOOK AT THE NEW DODGE 4 FULL DOOR. SALES ARE THRU THE ROOF, QUALITY IS UP GREATLY, EVERYONE I TALK TO THAT HAS ONE LOVES THEM AND BEST OF ALL THE COST IS ABOUT 3 OR 4 THOUSAND LESS THAN THE FORDS, AND WITH 7 YEAR 70,000 MILE WARRANTY TO BOOT . HOW CAN ONE (TOTALLY) REDESIGNED TRUCK
BE SOLD @ LAST YEARS PRICES WHEN FORD CONTINUES TO RAISE PRICES EVERY YEAR. I THINK ITS TIME FOR FORD TO WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE AND CONCENTRATE ON WHAT WE HAVE NOW.

Old 05-02-2002, 03:56 PM
Unfortunately too many manufacturers have jumped into the redesign it often game.

Up until a few years ago companies like Mercedes weren't doing that. They'd do a redesign of certain models maybe every 5 or more years.

Improving on a design is always better than coming up with something new most of the time.

As well, older models hold their resale value much higher. Every time there is a redesign (F150 1997) the previous model year's used pricing drops because these vehicles are now so much less desireable because everyone wants to be seen in the latest and greatest. You ever notice how they come out with usually square conventional headlights first model year, then composite lenses that match the body lines the next year to "freshen it up". What a waste of time. Give us the goods and leave it alone for a few years.

They could probably sell more trucks by improving on their quality problems, engines, door cracks and other annoyances.

Quality Job 1.... I don't know.

Good for Dodge if the new trucks are higher quality. When I got my 98' XLT F150 I compared it to a new Ram at the time, same size, supercab, 4x4, etc, etc. Fit and finish and overall material quality on the Dodge was lower I thought.

Anyway you look at it a newer vehicle is a losing investment.

Last edited by p_ferlow; 05-02-2002 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Ford to trim content of next gen F-150