Timing Chain 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing Chain 5.4

Ok have any of you replaced it and when, we just replaced the one in our 93 ranger and it was a big problem. Will the chain breaking ruin the engine like it does on so many new engines. I had the timing cover off at 30,000 for an oil leak and now have 93000, just wondering what you all think about it. I dont want it breaking and ruining my engine. thnx for your info.

Old 03-26-2002, 11:44 AM
If the timing chain breaks on a 5.4 or 4.6 it will bend the valves, I have seen very few chains break, I think that I have only replaced 2 that I can remember and I have worked for ford since the 4.6l engine first came out in the 91 Lincoln. The 5.4l and 4.6l engines are great engines when properly maintained.

Old 03-26-2002, 07:05 PM
so mx these triton engines would be called "interference" engines correct? (Like all hondas) Toyotas use "Non-Interference" engines (Because their timming belts break all the time)

In addition shouldn't the chains last the life of the engine if properly maintained?

thanks!

Old 03-26-2002, 08:04 PM
A modern timing chain should last near the life of the engine. Lack of maintenance will kill them quicker (along with the rest of the engine). Barring a defect from Ford, I'd be really worried about putting a timing chain in one of these engines. Mainly because you would be doing a lot of work to an engine that has suffered and worn as much as the chain.

Toyota has interference engines too. Their timing belt engies are typically not. Many of the newer timing chain engines are interference.

All the worry about timing chains has come from poor designs and old technology that left many engines with chains that failed before they were worn out. Ford, GM, and Mercedes all had a few engines with a bad reputation in the past for timing chain failures. With modern oiling designs, hydraulic tensioners, and better chains that should last.

The interference isssue should be a moot point. By the time the chain fails and the valves hit the pistons, you need an engine anyway.

Old 03-26-2002, 09:11 PM
I use "free spining or not free spinning" to describe engines. Yes that is exactly what I am saying the 4.6/5.4 is not a free spinning engine. The only chain problem I have seen are from lack of maintenance, which causes tensioner failure and one other problem I've seen two or three times was the owner put underdrive pulleys on the engine and didn't get the crank bolt tight enough which caused the keyway on the crank gear to wollow out which led to valves being bent on one bank. I have never seen a timing chain fail in these engines without somthing helping it along. I hope that helps

Quick Reply: Timing Chain 5.4