coolant in oil pan.need help asap

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry coolant in oil pan.need help asap

im working on a 2001 ford f150 4x4 with 163k.i noticed the coolant reservoir was empty so i put some coolant in there and it started leaking from the engine.after further inspection noticed 2 freeze plugs popped out of the side of the block (probably froze the block from running straight water).so i put some new plugs back in it.sealed up good with no issues so i put some more coolant in there after about 5 jugs of coolant and water i pulled the oil dipstick and it was going in the oil pan.so i drained it all out.did some research and started testing things.i pressure tested each cylinder and got about 180-150psi on each one so looks like the heads and block are fine.took off the oil filter adapter to inspect the gasket and it looks fine.i also tried pouring water through the top off motor after removing thermostat and still goes straight out oil pan.i dont think its the intake because it has the aluminum coolant runner.im thinking it might be a freeze plug behind the timing chain cover.am i missing something?any ideas guys?

Old 04-04-2018, 06:33 PM
Step one: Remove the hood.
Step 2: Remove engine.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by seagovilleford
im working on a 2001 ford f150 4x4 with 163k.i noticed the coolant reservoir was empty so i put some coolant in there and it started leaking from the engine.after further inspection noticed 2 freeze plugs popped out of the side of the block (probably froze the block from running straight water).so i put some new plugs back in it.sealed up good with no issues so i put some more coolant in there after about 5 jugs of coolant and water i pulled the oil dipstick and it was going in the oil pan.so i drained it all out.did some research and started testing things.i pressure tested each cylinder and got about 180-150psi on each one so looks like the heads and block are fine.took off the oil filter adapter to inspect the gasket and it looks fine.i also tried pouring water through the top off motor after removing thermostat and still goes straight out oil pan.i dont think its the intake because it has the aluminum coolant runner.im thinking it might be a freeze plug behind the timing chain cover.am i missing something?any ideas guys?
Unfortunately the short answer from IH man in post #2 is probably what is needed.

Do you know how long the engine sat in sub-freezing temps with just water in the coolant system?

If there is very little hesitation from when coolant enters the radiator to when it runs out the oil pan....most likely it has sat way to long in sub-freezing temps with water or highly diluted coolant and has cracked the block. That is backed up by the frost plugs being "popped out". So that leaves you with finding another engine to replace it with, be it a remanufactured or a used one out of the salvage yard.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:29 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Yes, the engine is broken, probably close to in half.

Time for it to be removed and replaced or revamped.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:21 AM
the coolant pours out right away as if its coming out of a big hole or popped out freeze plug.if it was a crack it would probably come out slower.so i already go most of the engine torn apart in the front.gonna remove the timing cover and see the condition of the plugs behind the chain.i figured this takes less time and money than replacing the whole engine itself and dealing with whatever new problems the junkyard motor will present.i should have the cover off in a few hours so il let yall know whats behind there.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:22 PM
so as i predicted its 2 freeze plugs behind the timing chain.theres 4 total.two top and two bottoms.im gonna replace the plugs and go on about my business.just gonna note a couple things for someone that has this problem in the future.dont need to take valve covers off(take off half of the bolts towards front on each side so the cover can slide off).dont need to take water pump off.dont need to take off ac compressor or pulley.dont need to take off power steering pump (just 2 front bolts and loosen back ones).dont be so quick to make a determination unless you have tested and inspected all possibilities.research,research,research.thanks for all the info guys.haha i learned alot.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:28 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Hope it fixed it. Are there any freeze plugs in the rear of the engine block?

Quick Reply: coolant in oil pan.need help asap