so what's wrong with the 5.4L???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 10:04 PM
Location: the great stinkin' desert national monument and nuclear waste dump
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face so what's wrong with the 5.4L???

boy oh boy. More horror stories up here about the 5.4. Slapping pistons, leaking head gaskets, cracked blocks and heads. And then there are the craking doors and leaking sliding rear windows. My goodness!! They just keep on comming!!!

Not to mention the botched escape/tribute launch. (does ford build those or does mazda?)

I dont know if I agree with some poster's assumptions that "these problems are rare" and "they have been fixed by now". There is something like 8,000 subscribers to this board and an awful lot are reporting serious problems with this engine. Sounds like there are some serious issues out there. I know no engine is trouble-free but it sure seems the 4.6 doesnt have nearly the issues the 5.4 does.

Not to mention dealer-customer relations issues. Sheesh!!!

Re-thinking my on-again off-again plans about the 5.4--maybe a Ford Truck in general. Of course I risk the Wrath of Khan from my dear dead relatives and my in-laws if they found out I was even thinking about looking at a chevy.

--karl

Old 12-01-2000, 10:37 PM
IKE
Angry

I just have to jump in here, my daily driver is a 2000 SuperDuty F-250 crew cab 4x4. Big, heavy truck... with the 5.4 V-8.

I won't get into the whole V-8, V-10, PSD, argument here, it all depends on your needs.. but back to the subject at hand, my 5.4 is a strong engine, even in such a heavy truck. To this day, the problems I've had with it are...
absolutely none!

It's a strong motor, and if you think about how many Ford trucks are out there, yeah, there are going to be bad ones. Not trying to rant here, but I think it's a fantastic engine.

------------------

-IKE

2000 F-250 SuperDuty Crew Cab 4x4

"My graduation present to myself!"

Go Boilers!!
1999 Graduate -Purdue University
"Close by the Wabash, in famed Hoosier land..."
------------------

[This message has been edited by IKE (edited 12-01-2000).]

Old 12-02-2000, 12:07 AM
The problem I see with the 5.4 is the stroke is too long. A 4.16 stroke is going to wear out pistons and rings prematurely. The longer the stroke the farther the piston travels per revolution. Short stroke engines will last longer. If you have a 5.4 change the oil often. This will help reduce wear.

Old 12-02-2000, 12:15 AM
There were over 850,000 5.4 engines built last year.

Pick your favorite number for failure rate, then multiply 850,000 by that number. It's bound to be a 'big' number, however...

...take the reciprocal of that -- and that's your chance of getting a bad one -- and that is a small chance.

It's all in your perspective -- like is a couple hundred deaths out of a bazillion tires sold really bad? It's bad for the dead ones' families -- but it's really good for the other bazillion-200.

The more things that are sold, the more you hear about them -- sorta explains why you never hear about failures on a Rolls Royce -- there are so few of them built!

------------------
Y2K™ 7700 4x4
Jim - N8JG@Hotmail.com

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 12-02-2000, 12:41 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Karl what kind of website would this be if everytime one of our Ford breathern posted about a 5.4 problem, 15 of us chimed in with "mine is perfect" or "no problem here"?

If that happened the guy with the engine troubles would blow a gasket.
(if that wasn't already his problem)

So Karl, if you do go for the 5.4 and it does let you down, you know you can come here and nobody will say "naa, naaynee, naa naa".

And you won't find a Chevy site in this Country that comes with kind of guarrantee!

Old 12-02-2000, 12:57 AM
Heck, you won't find a chevy owners site like this one.There are not alot of good owners sites out there.We are lucky to have this one.Ya people do have problems with there trucks,but you have to look at how many f150s are sold.If ya get a chevy you won't get the tech back up and advice that this provides.It is your choice, though and I am sure you *will* be happy with whatever you decide on.

------------------
-----------------------
2000 f150 4x4 sport,black, 3.55 5spd ,4.2 liters of fury ----mods----
stereo,pioneer cd,cadance ultradrive amps,alpine 12 sub,eclipse mids&tweetsAppearance: profile bug guard,smoked headlight covers,Gts tailblazerII taillight covers painted to match truck,blue cargo lights,chrome exhaust tipFunctional:265/75 pirelli scorpion at,cranked torsion bars,black Delta tool box,valley towing class III reciever hitch,herculiner bed liner,taz floor mats Performance: Jet reusable air filter,modified airbox(crash1style)Coming Soon supercharger, jba headers,throttle body spacer,ravin cat back,superchips
lightningcrashz@hotmail.com

Old 12-02-2000, 01:02 AM
Cool

Karl,
I have to admit, I understand what you are saying. It is not an easy choice, especially when you are going to invest so much money.
You have to understand what the message board is for. If everyone who owns an F150 got on here and just talked about how good their truck is and how few problems they had, then this site would have millions of posts! It would be almost impossible to find someone who knows about a little glitch, or a major problem that you might be experiencing with your truck! Look at the lightning section of this board. They all love their trucks, and there are very few problems with it.
If you buy ANY Vehicle, you run the risk of it having a problem, or even worse, going to a dealership and be treated like you are an idiot.
When I bought my truck, the Owner of the dealership, who is a family friend, sold, and delivered the vehicle to us. We went inside and did the paperwork first, and then we went outside to see my new truck. I hadnt seen it before, because he didnt have what I wanted on the lot, so he got the truck from a different dealership. He stood by the door and let me in. Little did I know, there was a big ding in the door where he was standing. HE WAS HIDING THE DING SO I WOULDNT SEE IT!! Some family friend, his game ended when I went home with it and got out of the truck! To make a long story short, I called him and he said he would take care of it, and he didnt see it. RIGHT!!!
I have NEVER owned an American car or truck before now, I have owned 4 Acuras (I just bought a 2000 for the wife)and 5 Hondas and they were all great.
So I, like you, was very skeptical in general. I used to work for ford, and I vowed I would never own one. Now I have to say I own one of the best trucks built today. It is the best looking, and it runs great.
My dad has never owned a Ford, and has always bought Chevy's, or GMC. I proudly show off my truck to him, and he just grins with envy.

I would and have recommended a Ford to anyone who wants a good, no... a GREAT truck!

Good luck with your decision!

------------------
White 2000 F150 XLT Flareside 4X2 Supercab
-5.4L Triton V-8
-Automatic
-3.55 LS
-Tow Package
-Duraliner
-White gauge faceplate
-Alpine 60w x 4 cda-7863.
Future Mods:
-Superchip (on order)
-Gibson Exhaust
-K&N Filter
-Lightning wheels?
-Lightning front grill
-Stealthbox subwoofer enclosure
-Upgraded speakers in doors
-amplifier
-2" drop in front, 2" drop in rear

Old 12-02-2000, 02:41 AM
Wow, I didnt think my comments would bring on such a response!!! That's Great!!!! Really like this site!!!

I have brought up these issues before. Yes I wouldnt have any other truck (or car, for that matter). When I tell acquaintances that I am looking for a new truck, in fact, they tell me "I have a buddy who is selling his chevy..." I tell them thanks, but, I am looking for a real truck..."

All I am pointing out is that I see a lot I mean A LOT of posts here about people having 5.4L engines replaced and only very very few 4.6L engine problems. That tells me there is something amiss with either the design of the engine (doubtful) or the manufacture of the engine (likely).

I know that ford builts a gazillion of those motors but the also build a gazillion of the 4.6L as well. I dont see post after post from 4.6L owners "yeah, I just had my 4.6L replaced, too, after 25k miles". I remember one post from a ford master wrench "yeah, I see bad 5.4's in our shop all the time, that's why I ordered a 4.6 in my new rig".

I know the 5.4 is a sweet and highly regarded motor. That's why it adds more to the resale than it costs as an option!!! I'd much rather get the 5.4L-and probably will--but I will watch it like a hawk--and get the extended warranty.

Old 12-02-2000, 04:25 AM
gah
Question

LarryS, you stated..
The problem I see with the 5.4 is the stroke is too long. A 4.16 stroke is going to wear out pistons and rings prematurely. The longer the stroke the farther the piston travels per revolution. Short stroke engines will last longer. If you have a 5.4 change the oil often. This will help reduce wear.
What's the stroke on the 7.3L PSD? With a compression ratio of 17:1 or thereabouts and 500+ lb-ft of torque I would guess that the stroke is longer than the 5.4L and yet these engines last forever. Perhaps someone can help.

------------------
'00 5.4L 4X4 Lariat (Black/Silver)
'99 Ranger 4.0L 4X4 XLT

Old 12-02-2000, 02:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have noticed the same thing...very few problems with the 2000 5.4s compared to other years.

Those were interesting stats you posted karl!! 54 5.4s replaced.

The only problem(if it can be called a problem) that I have ever had with a 5.4L was with my 1998....it stalled out once at a railroad crossing. Other than that...nothing with any of the 3 5.4Ls I have driven! For me, a great motor.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/Auxilary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 12-02-2000, 03:23 PM
Karl,

The leaking slider and door cracks are history ...... over. They have been remedied.

The 5.4 V-8? Well, I don't know, I don't have one but wish that I did.

If you can afford a new F150 with the 5.4, go for it. Buying a used truck, especially a 4 x 4 if that's what you want, is always risky unless you know the truck's history personally. Afterall, it's a truck and many are abused.

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, HD electrical and cooling, power seat, Rhino Liner, Extang Classic tonneau cover, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

Old 12-02-2000, 04:09 PM
54 engines replaced. interesting. The 5.4 was a new design in 97 and it usually does take a few years to get all the bugs worked out.My buddy has a 99 excab 4x4(that he purchased brand new) with the 5.4. He drives this truck like its a sports car.Never under 75mph on the freeway.Always looking to race somebody.The only thing that went wrong in his truck so far( 34,000 miles) was a relay switch for the power windows.Oh ya he also threw a weight off of a wheel(spinning the tires on wet pavement).After seeing the way he treats his motor, I believe the 5.4 will hold up.I have also driven a 97 excab 4x4 with the 4.6.Comparing the two, the 5.4 is alot stronger.The 4.6 in that configuration of truck didn't feel any more powerfull than my 4.2 reg cab 4x4.

Old 12-03-2000, 12:27 AM
54 5.4s - I think we need a manual recount (and I'm not even a whining demacrat from Florida). My 5.4 with 13000 miles on it has never given me one problem. I live in Southern California and work in Death Valley, so I drive back and forth on mondays and fridays. Most of driving is in the 80s and 90s, I have done some desert running with this truck (dirt and gravel roads at higher speeds) and even rocky trails. Also, with mods listed below, I run this truck hard on the street. This motor has never skipped a beat and does not eat a drop of oil. people with problems with their trucks will look for a place to complain and seek help, such as this site. 54 is a miniscule number when you think of how many of these motors are on the road. They are now selling far more 5.4s than 4.6s according to the fleet manager where I bought my truck.

------------------
2000 F150 SuperCab, Short Bed, 4X4, ORP, 5.4L, Auto Trans, 3.55LS, Captains Chairs with power drivers seat, rear slider, class III towing package, remote entry with alarm and just about everything you can get on this truck. Added a Ford bug deflecter, floor mats, a Dynamax Race magnum muffler and 3" mandrel bent pipes, Superchip, K&N FIPK Gen II, Bilstein shocks, Redline Synthetic oil and an MTX Thunder 204 4 channel amp.

Old 12-03-2000, 12:49 AM
Unhappy

Ok, I went back through the posts from the last month just to see how many here have had engines replaced. Not a scientific study by any means, but interesting.

54 people have had 5.4L engines replaced--some of them twice!!!

2 people have had 4.6L engines replaced.

According to the owners survey most of you have 4.6L engines.

Now, most of the 5.4's have been 99's with the oil leak problem. I have only seen 3 2000's that have been replaced.

That's pretty damming statement on the 99 5.4's. If I decide to get a used '99 I will check the engine sticker and crawl underneath it--which I do anyway.

--karl

Old 12-03-2000, 02:49 PM
Karl,
Here is the reason that more 5.4L's are affected by piston slap vs 4.6Ls.
-------------------------------------
-- a post from Feb/2000 in this forum.
---
What engines does it affect?
Ø It has been estimated that anywhere between (1 in 500) and (1in 2000) engines
will develop this problem

Ø Only 4.6, 5.4 and 6.8L engines built in Windsor, Canada have the problem.
Ø All 5.4 and 6.8L engines are built in Windsor Canada
Ø 4.6L engines built in Romeo Michigan do NOT have PS

How can I tell where my engine is made?
Ø All 5.4 and 6.8L engines are built in Windsor Canada
Ø 4.6L engines are built in Windsor or Romeo
Ø If the 8th position in your VIN is a "6" then your 4.6L engine was built in Windsor,
Canada
Ø If the 8th position in your VIN is a "W" then your 4.6L engine was built in Romeo,
Michigan
----------------

So it depended on which site the engine was manufactured, (because each site has different suppliers of pistons).

BTW: I have a 00' F250 with the 5.4L, with 16k miles on it and no problems.

------------------
Y2K F250 XLT SC 4x2 5.4L 5sp 4.10LS

Quick Reply: so what's wrong with the 5.4L???