4.6L Oil Capacity

Old 10-11-2000, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 4.6L Oil Capacity

I have a question on 4.6L oil capacity. My manual says 6 quarts, but it actually takes 7.5 to hit the full mark. My truck is a 97 XLT SC with package # 3 (Tow Package) Can anyone give me any ideas on this issue?

Thanks

Old 10-11-2000, 02:03 PM
'97 F150 Lariat took 6 quarts to bring it up to mid range on the stick. Topping it off may cause more harm than good. Six quarts is easy, no leftovers.

Old 10-12-2000, 12:09 AM
Lightbulb

Welcome!
Go here. https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/002512.html

That may get ya more confused though!

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat Ext. Cab 4X4
  • White/Silver, 4.6L, Auto.
  • Tinted Windows/Bedmat/Toolbox/Lund Bug Deflector
  • 265/75/16 BFGoodrich on polished 16x8 AR-136's
  • Cat-back Dual Exhaust
  • Polar Bear Grille Guard

Old 10-12-2000, 12:43 AM
Wink

JBRIII....never fill the oil up to the full line, doing this has been known to blow seals due to the excessive amount of oil.

Just put in 6 quarts of your favorite oil, this should bring your level up to about the half way mark or a bit lower, level does not have to be exact...but a bit above the add line foresure!!!. Change your oil and filter every 4000KM or less and your motor will last you forever...Clean oil is the secret to any motor!!!

DO NOT OVER FILL ANY ENGINE WITH OIL...6 quarts of happiness awaits you!

Old 10-12-2000, 12:44 AM
JB,

6 quarts is 6 quarts regardless of what the stick says. The stick could be short, the tube could be long and the last thing you want to do is overfill and cause foaming in the engine.

I would drop in 6 quarts, run the engine, check the oil level a couple of hours later and use that mark on the dipstick as the "normal" benchmark. Also, I believe the oil does not have to be on the full mark, just within the "shaded" area to be considered "full"

------------------
2001 F-150XLT SuperCab, Silver, 4X4, AOD, 5.4L, 3.55LS, 17in Rubber, Sport Package, Bedliner, Sliding Rear Window and A partridge in a pear tree...

Old 10-12-2000, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the info. Of course I did a search AFTER I posted. A lot of conversation on this issue. I'll check it prior to posting next time.

Thanks for educating a newbie.

Old 10-13-2000, 11:52 AM
Changed the oil yesterday and put in 6 quarts. Mid range on the stick. Someone had written 7 1/2 qts. on the plastic radiator cover. Assumed it must have had an oild cooler or something. Goes to show what happens when you ***.U.ME.

Old 10-13-2000, 01:39 PM
Here's something to make it a little fuzzier:
When you take your truck (for those who don't do their own maintenance)to the dealership or those quick lube shops they generally let the oil drain for a few minutes (2 or 3)to get the bulk of the oil out. I measured the amount of oil drained out of my truck from
the end of the 3 minutes until the oil was completely drained (I had alot of time on my hands!) and it came to .5 qt. Those that take it to the lube shops have another 6 quarts put in so they are running with 6.5 quarts. Do you think Ford takes this into account that most people don't maintenace their own vehicle when they list 6.0 quarts in the user manual, therefore 1/2 quart is still in the engine? If that's the case....I should put 6.5 quarts in my truck because I let it COMPLETELY drain. What do you think?

[This message has been edited by DFolk88 (edited 10-13-2000).]

Old 10-13-2000, 02:18 PM
Talking

Hadn't thought about that! Good point. Anyone have any comments?

Old 04-11-2022, 06:56 PM
Always feel every engine up to the maximum full line! It doesn't hurt anything!

Don't listen to these pimple-popping fools! You always feel every engine on the planet up until the full Mark that's the way it was designed. The reason your engine is taking more is because it has an engine oil cooler on it. Do not run it a quart and a half low! I've been a Ford mechanic from since 1988 and the heavy line department so I know exactly what I'm talking about!

Last edited by Max Power632!; 04-11-2022 at 06:58 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 04-11-2022, 09:26 PM
glc
Received 754 Likes on 700 Posts
You know you replied to a 22 year old thread? As long as it's above the ADD line you are fine.

Old 04-15-2022, 02:43 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatlander
Hadn't thought about that! Good point. Anyone have any comments?
My lengthy drain surely must net me 1/4 C more than a speedy-per-hour place or dealership.

After a rather lengthy drain of very warm oil, I replace the old filter, which I have simultaneously drained.... start the engine and immediately rev it to 2-2.5 grand for 2 V quick seconds and kill it.

Re-draining nets me mebe 1/4 C and another 1/2 C from the filter. That ALL can easily be as much as a Cup total... 1/4 Qt.

I have read that some oil pans for those w towing packages can be 7 qts... 7.5 incl filter. Mine at 6, might logically be 6.5. And THAT is what I see.

Sears (RIP) gave me six and I complained, it was not full. They topped it, and quoted a new
​ policy to charge for the extra cup or two. NO mention was made to suggest it was an engine-safety policy... and joints like that may be inept, but tend to follow "various potentially stupid" policies to CYA. (Well, to CTA)

I fill to the full line exactly, as I want to know about oil usage. No probs in my life doing this. I did get a chewing out from a station owner where I pumped gas as a kid for refusing to overfill a tourist's car that burned/used oil. Maybe HE blew a seal once, overfilling it. I leave that to those w greater understanding. I'll listen and try to ask any intelligent, (I hope,) questions. I just know me engine- super-knowledgeable dad said, Do Not Ever Overfill.

I fill once on a level spot. Road crown in MY area makes me seem overfull then, in front of my house. I KNOW, then, the rough error amount. However,.I tend to forget and as the difference is ~ 1/2 C, 1/8th of a qt, 4 oz, I ignore it at THIS house and fill to "Full," that being 4 oz short. BUT IF I want to add 4 oz of SeaFoam or such, I remember I have that slop-factor.

Now, you can figure out YOUR methodology. Just never overfill. It just begs for troubles. If you have an engine catastrophy that demands 2 qts ea 100 miles, add 1 qt ea 50, instead. Don't increase your troubles. You might SEEM to be getting away with it, and find out later, it was not so. Safe over $orry/SorriER. In this case, Trust, but Verify by some means other than experimentation. 😉

Last edited by BillSF9c; 04-15-2022 at 02:47 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.6L Oil Capacity