F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   V8 Engines (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines-24/)
-   -   magnuson eaton superchargers (https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8-engines/6109-magnuson-eaton-superchargers.html)

98fword 06-20-2000 07:08 PM

Way2Big,

In a conversation with Chris at Magnuson, I asked about a cooling fan on the heat exchanger. His response basically was that it is not necessary. The supercharger won't produce enough heat at low speeds to require the additional cooling the fan would provide. By the time the supercharger is making enough heat, the air flow over the heat exchanger that's being produced by the vehicle's forward motion is more than sufficient. Adding to that, I wonder if installing a fan could possibly hinder cooling by deflecting the natural air flow over the heat exchanger when it's really needing it, i.e. WOT and high RPM's? Just a thought.

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto. Superchip, Gibson sing. cat-back, Airaid, 80/100w German head lamps. Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount. Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries. Torsion bars cranked up 2 turns. Needs one more door and a lot more power. I think I need to talk to Mr. Whipple.

Way2Big 06-20-2000 08:52 PM

Thanks for your reply!!

The only thing is that, if the fan is constantly running, won't it keep the blower unit at a lower temp? Also, in your remark about deflecting the natural airflow around the heat exchanger, as in my question above, it still would be getting more than adequate air flow or would there be be possibly more/better air flow while going down the highway or WOT?

Again thanks, just looking to get the most out of the system!

------------------
'98 EB Expy
5.4L 3.73 LS
Magnason/Eaton M90 Supercharger
Autometer Boost Gauge w/ A-pillar mounted pod
JBA Jet Black Ceramic Coated Headers
Stage 8 Locking Header Bolts
Gibson Sweptside Catback
K&N Filter
IPD Rear Anti-Swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
Manik Grill and Rear Tail Guards
PIAA 520 Foglights
Stull Billet Grill and Bumper Insert
Ford Molded mud guards
Ford Hood Guard

Waiting for...
75mm Edelbrock TB, whenever they can package the right one!!!

Coming next....
Superchip
Brembo Crossed Drilled Brake Kit

"Its Sooo Big...Its Gotta to be Blown!"

98fword 06-20-2000 11:19 PM

Way2Big,

The intercooler isn't cooling the blower itself. It's function is to cool the air being compressed by the blower. As air is compressed it heats up. The higher the psi the more the molecules are forced together causing friction, and friction makes heat. Higher intake charge temperatures make it easier to detonate in the combustion chamber instead of burn in a controlled manner. Our engines weren't designed with supercharging in mind as with the lightning. The lightning motors have lowered compression ratios to help offset the tendency to detonate. These motors were built to run the supercharger at the desired boost levels without an intercooler and without detonating. Our motors, with higher compression ratios need the intercooler to run the same boost pressures without having to retard timing. Which, in fact many of the manufacturers do to keep from having to incorperate an intercooler, making the system more complicated. In my opinion, I'd rather have the intercooler. Retarding the timing is negating what your trying to do with the blower. It's like taking two steps forward and one back. Anyway, I'm rattling on. https://www.f150online.com/f150board/smile.gif As for the fan on the heat exchanger. It was explained to me that at say, zero to twenty mph, even at WOT the blower can't generate enough heat to make the coolant warm enough to need a fan. At speeds above twenty mph there is all the air flow over the heat exchanger it needs.

Sure hope this helps! https://www.f150online.com/f150board/smile.gif

I just love talking shop! https://www.f150online.com/f150board/biggrin.gif

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto. Superchip, Gibson sing. cat-back, Airaid, 80/100w German head lamps. Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount. Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries. Torsion bars cranked up 2 turns. Needs one more door and a lot more power. I think I need to talk to Mr. Whipple.

Way2Big 06-21-2000 12:43 AM

I have a small cooling fan that I can install on my intercooler.

I was wanting to know if anyone has done this and if so, was it a noticable improvement?

------------------
'98 EB Expy
5.4L 3.73 LS
Gibson Sweptside Catback
K&N Filter
IPD Rear Anti-Swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
PIAA 520 Foglights
Ford Molded mud guards
Ford Hood Guard

Waiting for...

Coming next....
Brembo Crossed Drilled Brake System

Willy 06-21-2000 09:53 AM

I now have the Magnuson SC in hand. The quality of this system is the best I have seen. Looks to be very well built. Installation is scheduled for this weekend.
Stay tuned!

------------------
2000 XLT supercab, 4x4 7700lb. package, 5.4L, 3.73 LS, CD changer, Flowmaster,Superchip, Airaid, Gibson Headers, Island Blue
COMING SOON:MagnaCharger install June 23,2000

98fword 06-21-2000 10:19 AM

Willy,

Mine should be here today. Hopefully I'll be able to make the time to do the install this weekend. It'll be extremely hard to wait another week! May have to take some time off work! https://www.f150online.com/f150board/smile.gif

------------------

Way2Big 06-21-2000 05:13 PM

98fword - Thanks for your insight! I knew that the intercooler was for the incoming air and was just wanting to keep it as "cool" as possible to prevent any detonation from occuring.

98fword/Willy - You guys will love the setup of the Magnason. I agree 100% with Willy, in that its the best looking/built SC system I've dealt with yet. The one thing that I really like is the stock/sleeper look that it gives. When you open the hood you really have to look for it.

Willy, are you sending in your Superchip to be reprogrammed for the blower?

------------------
'98 EB Expy
5.4L 3.73 LS
Gibson Sweptside Catback
K&N Filter
IPD Rear Anti-Swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
PIAA 520 Foglights
Ford Molded mud guards
Ford Hood Guard

Waiting for...

Coming next....
Superchip
Brembo Crossed Drilled Brake Kit

Willy 06-22-2000 07:24 AM

Way2Big,
Yup, The Superchip is going back to be reburned. This is cool stuff!

------------------
2000 XLT supercab, 4x4 7700lb. package, 5.4L, 3.73 LS, CD changer, Flowmaster,Superchip, Airaid, Gibson Headers, Island Blue
COMING SOON:MagnaCharger install June 23,2000

Way2Big 06-30-2000 07:10 PM

Willy,

Congrats!! Nice to see that the "Eaton" family is growing!

Question for you,did you see how big of a difference the Superchip was, kind of a before/after test, after the blower was installed? I'm getting ready to get mine ordered and was wanting some "knowledgeable" advice from guys with a similar setup. Thanks in advance!

Again, Congrats!!

------------------
'98 EB Expy
5.4L 3.73 LS
Gibson Sweptside Catback
K&N Filter
IPD Rear Anti-Swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
PIAA 520 Foglights
Ford Molded mud guards
Ford Hood Guard

BOUGHT & WAITING FOR...
** 75mm Edelbrock TB, whenever they can package the right one!!!

COMING UP NEXT....
** Superchip
** Brembo Crossed Drilled Brake Kit

Willy 07-01-2000 12:36 AM

Supercharger is now installed! HOLY #@!$%!
The SC itself makes a huge difference! Add the reburned Superchip and it is IMPRESSIVE!
Lots of torque! Speed is greatly increased.
Many have asked me if it's worth it. No question. I would do it again for sure.
Very smooth with an awsome sound. Not to loud, just perfect.
The chevy guys are chasing me down trying to figure out how they got smoked so bad!

------------------
2000 XLT supercab, 4x4 7700lb. package, 5.4L, 3.73 LS,CD changer,MagnaCharger Flowmaster,Superchip, Airaid, Gibson Headers, Island Blue

Willy 07-01-2000 01:03 PM

Way2Big,
If your running the Eaton now without the Superchip your missing out!
I ran the stock calibration for about 200 miles before I plugged the chip in. It's night and day difference. The chip REALLY wakes it up. It's like a different truck. It pulls harder and longer and it rids the truck of that mushy shift into second gear and really increases torgue to the road off the line. Even with the Eaton the stock cal really wouldn't let you spin the tires from a standstill. Now I can burn rubber just by looking at the peddle!
Mike Troyer told me it would take 7-10 days to get the chip back. It only took 1 day with UPS red shipping. It's well worth the $125.
Do it. You will not regret it.
If you guys have any other questions let me know. I have already ordered two other system for family members as they were so impressed.

------------------
2000 XLT supercab, 4x4 7700lb. package, 5.4L, 3.73 LS,CD changer,MagnaCharger Flowmaster,Superchip, Airaid, Gibson Headers, Island Blue

Nastrucking 07-01-2000 02:36 PM

Hey Everyone,
I am so glad to find this site too bad it took so long. I was going to order Vortec S-Trim Has any one had any luck with one of these. Or have any suggestions? I already have cat-backs and I am going to get a custom Superchip upon install.

Thanks looking forward to talking to everyone.

------------------
98 NASCAR Edition F-150

98fword 07-01-2000 05:34 PM

I finished the installation of my Magnacharger this week and have to say I'm very pleased with the results. I'm anxious to get my chip back from Superchips that they've had for over a week now. I believe that will round out the package nicely. It seems like it takes two forevers to shift from first to second. And when it does, it's really anticlimactic.

I have to give many thanks to Chris at Magnacharger. He has been extremely helpful and patient. I'm sure he has taco neck now from talking to me on the phone! https://www.f150online.com/f150board/biggrin.gif

Anyone wanna go "Z" huntin'? https://www.f150online.com/f150board/smile.gif Uh, 71 that is.

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto. Magnacharger supercharger. Superchip, Gibson sing. cat-back, 80/100w German head lamps. Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount. Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries. Torsion bars cranked up 2 turns. Needs one more door.

Way2Big 07-01-2000 09:14 PM

98fword,

Glad to see we have another member in the "family"!

One question for you guys. Have any of you considered the 77mm Pro-M MAF? I'm thinking very hard on that, before I get the chip done for me. I want to get it all done at once, the programming that is, to rueduce cost and additional "downtime".

Again, thanks in advance!!

------------------
'98 EB Expy
5.4L 3.73 LS
Gibson Sweptside Catback
K&N Filter
IPD Rear Anti-Swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
PIAA 520 Foglights
Ford Molded mud guards
Ford Hood Guard

BOUGHT & WAITING FOR...
** 75mm Edelbrock TB, whenever they can package the right one!!!

COMING UP NEXT....
** Superchip
** Brembo Crossed Drilled Brake Kit

Willy 07-03-2000 07:22 AM

Way2Big,
I must admit I'm thinking about it. But I need more information. Chris at Magnacharger gave me a name of a speed shop in S. CA who sells the things with proven dyno results. He says some applications work and some don't. What input do you have?

------------------
2000 XLT supercab, 4x4 7700lb. package, 5.4L, 3.73 LS,CD changer,MagnaCharger, Flowmaster,Superchip, Airaid, Gibson Headers, Island Blue