4.6L great millage

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6L great millage

Just got back from the Maritimes for the holidays and i tired the truck,,,,,,,i was amazed ,, filled her up and got over 700Km with a tank of gas ,,,,,,, and that's at a temperature of -8 to -20 ,,,,
Of course i had the tailgate down
Pretty sweet for a V8

Old 01-02-2002, 01:52 PM
Your excitement makes me think you got good figures, but would you mind translating them into American please???

Old 01-02-2002, 02:01 PM
Yes, we are curious what you got? Best I got was 20mpg on a trip to Louisiana during the holidays. Tailgate up.

Old 01-02-2002, 02:14 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face

Gentlemen, please!

We don't want to attain the title, 'Lazy Americans'.

1Km = 0.62137 mile

Old 01-02-2002, 04:38 PM
Re: 4.6L great millage

Originally posted by hugs
Of course i had the tailgate down
How much does driving with the tailgate down affect mileage/kilometerage? Just curious.

RB

Old 01-02-2002, 05:43 PM
I'm not a "lazy American", I'm a "stupid American". It's just so complicated with all those numbers and a decimal point.

My best milage was 22mpg. That was with the tonneau cover.

Hugs, whats your configuration?

Tom

Old 01-02-2002, 05:46 PM
I am an automatic tranny as well

Old 01-02-2002, 06:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Re: 4.6L great millage

Originally posted by RoundBoy

How much does driving with the tailgate down affect mileage/kilometerage? Just curious.

RB
Well, I've seen some older posts on this. Some say the tailgate down is better, some say the tailgate up is better..........

Some even did wind tunnel tests for a college assignment or something. They "said" that runnng with the tailgate DOWN actually caused more drag on the truck making for even worse gas mileage. Running with the tailgate UP was better in their testing.......

This is how they explained it. When the tailgate is UP, and you are going like 65 mph, the bed fills up air and the air flow actually bounces off of this "air" in the bed and flows over the tailgate very smoothly. With the tailgate DOWN, the air flow over the cab creates a 'vaccum' effect directly behind the cab which actually causes drag to occur.

Ever notice when you see a semi truck driving in the rain, WITHOUT a trailer, and how the spray just swirls around behind it? That's kinda whats happening in the bed when the tailgate is down.

At any rate, I have a tonneau cover now, so don't think about it. Before the cover, I just ran with the tailgate up, because it really didn't make any difference in mileage either way...................

Old 01-02-2002, 11:15 PM
Majority ought to rule in a case like this. If he wants responces to his thread, then our northern neighbor should do us the trouble of translating it for us, but that's just me.

Old 01-02-2002, 11:25 PM
Hey Eduk8er

If you are unable or unwilling to respect others ways of doing things then maybe you should not be here, by posting in KM/H which is the METRIC system and not MP/H the STANDARD system which is not refered to as american by the way we "northern neighbours"are not trying to insult but rather posting in what we are accustomed to. Did you ever think that by posting in STANDARD you might be offending us by not using our system? To make things easy for you 1 mile = 1.6 kilometers at least thats close enough for everyday use. So please "do us the trouble" of being open minded and respectful of all Ford owners, thats why we're here right?

Old 01-02-2002, 11:30 PM
According to my calculations, his mileage is about 19.4 mpg.

700 km = 437.5 mi

91 litres = 22.75 gallons

I'm guessing that he has a 91 litre tank (I think mine is 91 litres).

437.5/22.75 = 19.23 mpg

That is also assuming that this is one whole tank of gas, from right full to bone dry. Which is probably not the case, there was probably a couple of gallons left in the bottom of the tank, which would make his mileage a bit better.

I've never seen over 16.5 mpg in my truck. I'm not exactly light on the right foot, though.

Old 01-02-2002, 11:39 PM
Re: Hey Eduk8er

Originally posted by 2001 ORP
If you are unable or unwilling to respect others ways of doing things then maybe you should not be here, by posting in KM/H which is the METRIC system and not MP/H the STANDARD system which is not refered to as american by the way we "northern neighbours"are not trying to insult but rather posting in what we are accustomed to. Did you ever think that by posting in STANDARD you might be offending us by not using our system? To make things easy for you 1 mile = 1.6 kilometers at least thats close enough for everyday use. So please "do us the trouble" of being open minded and respectful of all Ford owners, thats why we're here right?
Whoaaaa Dude, Didn't mean to cause another North vs South kind of thing. It's just my mentality and way of thinking. No disrespect intended. As a matter of fact, I drank a 2 liter of soda today. Long live the Maple Leafs.

Old 01-02-2002, 11:51 PM
Talking Sorry my bad ...lol

Me neither dude in fact i bought a gallon of milk and a pound of butter today I was just ranting i guess sorry! lol im for america 100% kick some bin laden butt baby!sorry if you thought i was pissing in yoir corn flakes my thoughts just got away from me, I live less than an hour from the boader and spend alot time in the southern states and I love country music so lets be friends

Old 01-03-2002, 12:02 AM
Re: Sorry my bad ...lol

Originally posted by 2001 ORP
Me neither dude in fact i bought a gallon of milk and a pound of butter today I was just ranting i guess sorry! lol im for america 100% kick some bin laden butt baby!sorry if you thought i was pissing in yoir corn flakes my thoughts just got away from me, I live less than an hour from the boader and spend alot time in the southern states and I love country music so lets be friends
Not a problem. Heck, my engine and half my truck came from Windsor and all points beyond. Have a Happy New Year.

Old 01-03-2002, 08:30 AM
75% Highway and 25% City, I get 19-20 MPG...best was 20.5

Quick Reply: 4.6L great millage