Best oil additive!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 02:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best oil additive!

I have used a lot of oil additives to protect my engines above and beyond what motor oil can do,and that;s even the best synthetic oil.

By far this is the best on planet earth! https://motorkote.com/products/16-oz...yper-lubricant

This is def not snake oil....it's the Real DEAL! Better gas mileage,more power,etc,etc,etc!

Old 05-05-2019, 09:01 AM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Every owner's manual I've noticed recommends NOT using any oil additive.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:04 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
For decades I've never used any oil additives and never had any issues as long as I change the oil out at their timed service intervals.

So take that for "snake oil"...

Old 05-05-2019, 10:05 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Additives are not needed with today's oils. If they were necessary, they would be blending them with the oils.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
At one time, this was the king of snake oils. It not only was a chlorinated parafinic but it also included teflon in the mix. And as usual the company denied any teflon in the mix. Today, there will be no teflon named or branded teflon in the mix as DuPont, maker of teflon, has openly stated it will not sell its product to anyone using it as an oil additive- it does not work in that application. Because of the dollars they are skimming from an unknowing public, they are very aggressive in hammering anyone who has anything bad to say about the product. I'm not a testing laboratory personally so I have no comments in regards to the product. My comments are this, any product that uses any form of a chlorinated parafinic in the formulation is screwing up your engine. During the combustion process, the chlorine is turned to hydrocloric acid. Your motor oils all have acid neutralizers in the mix but they can be over whelmed. This is typical of any oil or oil additive to corrode an engine. To be more direct, there is no place in any engine where a chlorinated parafinic has any benefit that won't be over ruled by damage via corrosion. Any chlorinated product works by releasing the fats in oil. You can test this at home by pouring a small amount of Clorox or liquid bleach on your hands. Note that your hands will become slimmy. That's the fats in your hands being released. Oils have fats and it works in the same manner.

FWIW, those who know Frank at Auto-Rx will know Frank in one of the insiders in the oil additive field. Here is his view on Motorkote:
"Frank wrote about this subject a few years ago. He said all he could with out violating confidentiality laws and such. It is a form of chlorinated parafin"

As stated above, the is nothing you're going to add to a motor oil that will make it work better. Actually, you might just upset the additive package and the results will be increased wear. Kinda like the borates. If the formulation contains too little, wear is increased. At the same time, if the formulation contains too much, wear increases. And those wear rates are dramatic for too little or too much. An oils additive package is a highly specific formulation. It doesn't take much of anything to upset the package making it useless. Wear will occur. So it's kinda like this, if you're smarter than several hundred years of technology and knowledge in regards to additive packages, then use all the additives you can buy. If you're not that smart, stay away from the snake oils before you screw up your engine.

Old 05-05-2019, 11:56 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I had to laugh when I read this thread and the great responses by everyone to the OP's question.

It reminded me of the 69 Mercury Marquis that I had back in the day and that I tried using Mobil 1 on for lubrication in the mid-70s. Well, it gave me about 2 mpg better fuel economy in that big 429 cu in powerplant, but I suddenly found I had to add a quart of oil every 1K or so (and it never used oil before). My solution? A can of STP in the oil! That "glue" stopped the oil use, but it also increased my fuel consumption. I stopped using Mobile 1 at the next oil change and stopped using the STP too! Fortunately, the engine recovered.

Some of us CAN learn from our mis-steps!

- Jack

Quick Reply: Best oil additive!