Hissing sound from engine when accelerating lightly

Old 01-17-2019, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hissing sound from engine when accelerating lightly

I have a 2006 5.4 3 valve and over the past two or three months it started making a hissing sound during light acceleration or holding the accelerator down to keep speed when it makes the hissing sound you can feel a loss of power once the hissing stop the power comes back it does it off and on has nothing to do with air conditioner there is zero freon in it and the compressor is unplugged the hissing sound sounds like it's coming from the intake manifold it does the hissing intermittently only for a few seconds then goes away does this off and on about every 10 to 20 minutes sometimes more frequently when you shut the vehicle off you can hear the same hissing sound any help would be much appreciated I am baffled oh also at an idle does not make the hissing sound but it is running slightly rough at an idle but not extremely noticeable it fires right up has never stalled but I did get a lean code once about a month ago but not since

Old 01-17-2019, 10:38 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The lean code plus hissing points toward a vacuum leak.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:45 AM
Well I was thinking vacuum too but most generally vacuum leaks are constant this one hole sites and it doesn't do it constantly it almost seems like there's a valve or something that's opening and dumping are into the intake

Old 01-17-2019, 02:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Get an UNLIT propane torch and see if the idle changes as you fan it over hoses and the intake.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When doing the unlit torch test it doesn't hurt to have the truck hooked to a scanner that can display live data and keep your eyes on the fuel trims,and when they go crazy you've found your leak. A lot of times if you're not hooked to a scanner the computer will react so fast the idle won't change, and you'll miss the leak.

Old 01-18-2019, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by JCR 56
When doing the unlit torch test it doesn't hurt to have the truck hooked to a scanner that can display live data and keep your eyes on the fuel trims,and when they go crazy you've found your leak. A lot of times if you're not hooked to a scanner the computer will react so fast the idle won't change, and you'll miss the leak.
okay I went over every inch of vacuum line every nook and cranny on the intake manifold with a propane torch unlit no changing vacuum or idle vacuum pressure at idle is staying pretty consistent between 23.8 and 24 even IN/HG but on the way home last night running I-35 I was running about 90 mph and all of a sudden the truck started shaking horrible vibration from motor check engine light started flashing I let off the accelerator drop speed down to about 70 engine smooth out check engine light stop flashing didn't do it again the rest of the night and hasn't done it today

included as a screenshot of everything that I can check with my setup at idle does everything look in range?

Last edited by mustang427; 01-18-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Since the CEL was flashing, there is pending/recorded codes. Yank the codes and post them...

Old 01-18-2019, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Since the CEL was flashing, there is pending/recorded codes. Yank the codes and post them...
I scan for codes nothing pending nothing logged no historic log that's why I'm kind of baffled

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hissing sound from engine when accelerating lightly