2001 5.4 coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 5.4 coolant leak

Truck is a 2001 Supercrew 4x4 with the 5,4

The coolant leak is somewhere I really cant see it just the liquid it leaves on the ground. I would say on the rear of the engine on the passenger side. Weird thing is it only leaks when its colder outside and I first start the truck to let it warm up. Once the engine has been running for 10 minutes or so it stops and it will not leak again until the next day. I though it might be the heater hose from the core to the front of the engine. That was no it, Just looking for some suggestions as its driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance

Marty

Old 12-02-2018, 02:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001SuperCrew4x
Truck is a 2001 Supercrew 4x4 with the 5,4

The coolant leak is somewhere I really cant see it just the liquid it leaves on the ground. I would say on the rear of the engine on the passenger side. Weird thing is it only leaks when its colder outside and I first start the truck to let it warm up. Once the engine has been running for 10 minutes or so it stops and it will not leak again until the next day. I though it might be the heater hose from the core to the front of the engine. That was no it, Just looking for some suggestions as its driving me crazy.

Thanks in advance

Marty
I would try a coolant gases test or Hydrocarbon test on the coolant. Most parts stores should have them.
If this turns up positive, then there is a good probability that you need head gasket replaced. Or you can pressure test the coolant system.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am correct in assmining that if the head gasket was leaking i would have coolant in the oil and it would have that white milky look? Because I don’t see any change in the oil.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:02 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
Not necessarily. That will only happen if it's leaking between a coolant passage and an oil passage.

Quick Reply: 2001 5.4 coolant leak