99 f150 4.6l engine sounds like a loose pulley??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 99 f150 4.6l engine sounds like a loose pulley??

Hi guys, I have a 99 f150 with the 4.6 romeo, the truck seems to run great even while towing, theres no loss of power or anything, but theres a rattling sort of noise, sounds almost like a loose pulley, its a slight rattle with off and on sqeeks like a slipping belt. has anyone else had this problem? also my alternator seems to be "overcharging" I for 1, didnt even know they could overcharge, but apparently they can, anyway, has anyone else had this problem? this crazy noise is driving me nuts! lol all the pulleys seem to be tight, but idk, should i replace the alternator or? the belt still looks brand new so im just lost lol any help would be great, thanks in advance

Old 10-31-2018, 12:32 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
if the alternator is overcharging the regulator has failed. Somewhere along the way vehicles have deleted the regulators and let the computer control the voltage. I don't know if your truck has a separate regulator. Make sure what the voltage is by checking the voltage across the battery with the engine running. Stores like Autozone will check the charging system for you at no cost.

Quick Reply: 99 f150 4.6l engine sounds like a loose pulley??